back to article iPhone outlook goosed to 21m for early 2011

The iPhone juggernaut shows no signs of slowing down, with Apple boosting production of its money-minting smartphone from a previously planned 19 million to a cool 20 to 21 million in the first calendar quarter of 2011. That's the word from "Taiwan-based component suppliers", as reported by the market-watchers at DigiTimes on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

Selling point

If apple made a dual-sim one I'd buy it tomorrow.

1. sleepy

That would make 21 million and one, then?

..except it would piss off the carriers, and it's their government issued revenue streams that Apple is milking.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Guy I Know Got an iPod Touch for Xmas

At first he thought it was an iPhone 4. Should've seen his face fall until he realised it was actually a touch.

You'da thunk it would be the other way round, but apparently he wants a phone that works like a phone!

Can't say I blame him, but then I wouldn't have wanted the iPod either!

1. Equitas

What I don't understand is

where around one's body they expect one to stow a big clumsy piece of electronic equipment. A slim, narrow candy-bar phone is much more useful to 99% of people in the real world, so what reason other than poser-value can there be for buying an iPhone or for that matter any of the smartphones?

1. Seanie Ryan
        WTF?

a guess...

its a long shot, but maybe in a 'pocket' ??

unless you are used to doing other things with a "A slim, narrow candy-bar" device.

but what would any of us in that other 1% of the world know?

3. Androne

Not bad sales...

for a 75% handset.

4. Hans 1
    Grenade

Silly antenna "issue"

It appears the silly antenna "issue" has not made a dent in sales and RIM fails with its touch-phones ...

So where is the next iPhone-killer casualty?

Android, go on and take on Nokia!

5. Chad H.
    Stop

Those numbers smell fishy...

So they're going to sell 15m phones worldwide, and another 5m CDMA just in the US.

Something doesn't smell right here.

1. Ben Tasker

Yeah.......

I mean the UK Population is what 60 Mil give or take? So that's the equivalent of a third of the UK buying iPhones in the next quarter (assuming all those produced get bought).

I know a fair few people who wouldn't touch with a bargepole, and it can't be a UK specific thing!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

oldest trick in the book

OEM places a parts order 10% below the expected requirement so it can up the order before the cut-off date and issue a press release saying expected demand has risen by 10%. Oldest trick in the PR book. Nothing to see here, move along.

7. Chris O'Shea
    Thumb Up

Ah that Steve Jobs :-)

[...]

CEO Steve Jobs noted that iPhone sales had been particularly brisk in that quarter: "iPhone sales of 14.1 million were up 91 percent year-over-year," he boasted – and then he couldn't resist adding a dig at the competition: "handily beating the 12.1 million phones RIM sold in their most recent quarter." [...]

Well, Gartner's figures are similar (if a little lower) and points out that Android-based phones sold around 20m phones in that same period.

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1466313

(second table)

And that Symbian sold nearly 30m in that same period (so more than iPhone and RIM combined).

So the iPhone is looking good in third place :-) particularly given how few new phones Nokia released during 2010.

1. Seanie Ryan
      Stop

wrong !!! join the others

android is NOT a manufacturer. its a _FREE_ OS

so please break those 20m sales down by manufacturer and see what position each of them are in.

i dont remember anyone ever comparing Linux installs to Compaq unit shipments in the past, so why is everyone now doing the equivalent with phones?

8. Si 1

How many will be white?

I wonder if Apple expect a sales bump from people rushing out to buy the white version? I know of one person who bought a black iPhone 4 and will probably sell it to buy the white one when it's released.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like