back to article UK domain registry breaks 9 million

The .uk has just broken nine million active domain names, Nominet announced today. The nine millionth address, Active2011.co.uk, was registered by Nirvana Spa, which fortunately for Nominet is not the Tibetan-themed massage parlour its name might suggest, but a posh health spa in Berkshire. It registered the domain name with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that's funny, I only know two .uk addresses...

theregister.co.uk, and terrypratchett.co.uk no, three.... thetimes.co.uk, but I haven't used that bookmark in months.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

well clearly...

...you're a bit thick.

Google.co.uk?

Amazon.co.uk?

There now you're up to five.

Next week we introduce the letter "f"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But

Maybe 5 million of the best ones are in the hands of maybe 100 squatters becasue Nominet do NOT HAVE A CLUE !!

1. Lusty

squatters

A lot of the time when it looks like a squatter it's actually your ISP redirecting DNS traffic. Next time you find one, try using the google DNS 8.8.8.8 and see if it's still the case.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why not just .UK?

The .co.uk domain is a bit of a mouthful - 3 extra syllables compared to .com

Could it possibly be changed so customers have the option of simply using .uk ?

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge
      FAIL

Plonk

"Could it possibly be changed so customers have the option of simply using .uk ?"

You obviously just do not get the whol point of having a hierarchial naming.

Ok, let everything be .uk

Now, how do you distinguish between Stirling Council, Stirling University and Stirling Tools? Hmmm. Maybe add a couple of letters to the name, hmm. maybe... stirling.*gov*.uk, stirling.*ac*.uk, stirling.*co*.uk.

I suppose you don't use dialing codes either and wonder why you can't phone your mate in Newcastle from Wolverhampton.

Plonk.

1. patrick_bateman

I agree

but only half, so if i am not a company, gov, charity or whatever...

so....what do i name my personal website, websitename.uk i would of though but its websitename.co.uk now but i dont want any thing else added in before the uk to certifiy its a personal site either, you can get .de or .ae and they dont have to have gov or whatever infornt of them, who actually decided this was the way it was actually going to be as perhaps they should rethink it.

whats the most annoying one you can get whilst thinking of it, ok the min is 2 charectors but whats the max? http://www.ukgoverment.SnuggleUpWithMeMrBanker.gov.bnk.uk

On another path i take it no one has gone to stirling.co.uk instead of stirling.ac.uk then........

And..No, no paris. i still have somewhat of a brain and self respect left.

4. It wasnt me
    Thumb Down

Oh really....

"our research revealed that 80 per cent of consumers in the UK prefer to use a .uk website over a .com website"

That wouldn't have anything to do wityh cost would it ? I couldn't give a monkeys what my domain ends in. I just want it to be memorable and cheap.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge
      FAIL

UK domain

...or maybe because if you're a **UK** **CO**mpany you should be using, well duh, **CO**.**UK**.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Despite the economic climate or because of it?

I thought people were setting up online services because they'd lost their jobs.

6. Lesley Cowley
    Happy

Minor correction

My name is spelt Lesley btw

7. Dog Faced Boy

Nominet renewal costs.

What I dont get about Nominet is that I can buy a .co.uk for around £7 for 2 years, when renewing through the site I bought the domain, the price is roughly the same but before the renewal is due, Nominet writes me a letter saying they can renew the domain name for £80.00

So why do Nominet try to charge such a high payment for domain renewals? Needless to say I have never renewed a domain through Nominet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like