back to article Synergy gone mad - travel agents to enrol for £100 ID card?

The estimated cost of the UK national ID card scheme continues to climb, with the combined card-&-biometric-passport price now passing £100. And IPS chief executive James Hall suggests that Post Offices and travel agents may be recruited to enrol people to the scheme. The IPS (slogan: "Everyone's unique. Let us keep it that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Spleen
    Stop

"Everyone's unique. Let us keep it that way"

Apparently "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength" was dropped for not being sinister enough.

No IDS, I will not let you keep it that way. I will keep it that way myself, and you can take your existence licence and shove it up your arse and die.

2. Mark

Life of Brian

"Yes, we are all different".

"I'm not".

3. Andrew Bolton
    Happy

Everyone's unique?

I thought you were taking the piss with that slogan until I checked their website.

Shouldn't that be the slogan of the HFEA?

4. Dom
    Stop

Let's not forget

It's not an ID card scheme, it's a national database.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get it while....

it's only £100.

Did toby (jug) say mad??

6. Biton Walstra

ID Card cost £100!!!

£100... My Dutch ID card cost incl P&P £47 (send from the Netherlands)

So why does it cost £100 here? Must be the inefficient government here who want to spend our tax monies.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I AM

SPARTICUS

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Travel agents?

Oh this is going to work SO well:

If they follow up on the slogan "Everyone's unique. Let us keep it that way" we'll all be charged a 25% single's supplement on top of the cost of the ID card for a minuscule second-rate Blunkettcard smelling faintly of tramp.

9. Dave

Travel Agents

Well, at least they'll find half of it easy when told to combine sex and travel.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

£100 to prove I am who I say I am?

Frikkin' government!

What's so wrong with my current driver's licence and passport? Why do I need another card? My driver's licence already has my photo, address, DOB, signature etc. Why do I need to pay £100 for something I already have? Oh, I forgot:

a) Government ignorance, incompetence and greed.

b) My driver's licence doesn't hold the stuff they need to know to combat terrorism, benefit fraud etc.: sexuality, race, religious beliefs or lack thereof, shoe size, todger length, time it takes you to orgasm, what your favourite pizza topping is, how many fingers you're holding up (2) etc.

It must be noted that I am neither a terrorist, nor am I a benefit fraudster. There, I don't need a card.

"You have nothing to hide, so why not?" That's the kind of thinking that'll get you killed for thinking.

11. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

"Everyone's unique. Let us keep it that way"

They missed out "...Or Else!" to make it properly sinister.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What will it take?

Why are this completely incompetent government still in office?

Why can we not remove them before they create a police state?

Turning back after the event is MUCH harder that it sounds.

We need a revolution.

13. Martin Edmondson
    Flame

Revolt?

You cant have a revolution.. or they'll call you a terrorist.

Can't everyone see we have no liberty or rights anymore?

Fuck the government, and its evil implementers concerned only with evil and killing everybody on the planet.

14. Colin Wilson
    Joke

Life Of Brian ?

Isn't this more like The Holy Grail

"Help, help, i'm being repressed"

15. Sceptical Bastard

@ Spleen and Martin Edmondson

Quote: "...take your existence licence and shove it up your arse and die."

Quote: "Fuck the government..."

That sums it up succinctly, guys - I'm with you.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

SOMEBODY HIT THE STOP BUTTON

I wish to disembark this ride please.

Realistically how does this government expect us to fork out £100 for a card that barely anybody wanted? What if I refuse to get aboard this pissing away of my hard earned tax money, do I then get a business class ticket to the Gitmo Bay Theme park on an open ended journey?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Making It Easier For The Bad Guys

I have no idea why the government should be so hell bent on ID cards to decrease terrorism or criminal activity. I can just see Bin Laden being put off by ID cards being introduced with an "oh no, we can't blow innocent people up any more because we need an ID card to light the fuse".

All that will happen is that it will produce a ready-made database from which the bad guys will be able to extract data to ensure that the morons can set light to the fuse easier. Knowing this government they will probably off-shore the database to Iraq or Afghanistan to save a few shekels anyway, and hand over the keys to the best security we've already got - the distributed nature of personal authentication which requires a fair amount of work to circumvent. You can't get a driving license, gas or electricity bill without spending some effort getting there.

I thought the human race was supposed to be intelligent, but it seems to me that things like ID cards being a panacea to all crime is stupidity in action.

18. TeeCee Gold badge
    Unhappy

Slogan error.

If they reckon that everyone's unique anyway, why do they want to flog us all 100 quid cards so they can tell who's who?

Shurely shome mishtake.

Maybe a better slogan would be: "Everyone's unique. We're too bloody incompetant to tell you apart, but it's your money we're wasting so we don't give a shit."

19. Eric Pinkerton
    Stop

I prefer.....

Your unique - Just like everybody else!

This topic is closed for new posts.