back to article Chinese boffins in copper nanotubes acronym outrage

We're awarding today a much-coveted Vulture Vulgar Acronym trophy (VULVA) to China's Dachi Yang, Guowen Meng, Shuyuan Zhang, Yufeng Hao, Xiaohong An, Qing Wei, Min Yeab, and Lide Zhanga for a truly breathtaking contribution to the genre in their snappily-titled Electrochemical synthesis of metal and semimetal nanotube–nanowire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Scott
    Coat

Gosh Doggy!

So if I can discover the "next" element and name it and then make nano tubes I can have a VULVA! I'll be in the lab...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

NSFW?

Given the presence of CuNTs, shouldn't this be labled appropriately to protect people from the evil, humourless office-web-filter?

I choose Paris cos she is a ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

My Boss

Is a right Copper Nano Tube!

4. Marc Lawrence
    Happy

Thanks for making me laugh

Especially the supplementary information talking about Open and Closed CuNTs. Oh dear...

5. Sam
    Coat

heterojunction

If heterojunctions are on there, is a homojunction Kings Cross?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

This is great...

Now I can say to my soon to be old boss that I always considered them a copper nanotube.

7. Edward Rose
    Coat

The use of Nanotubes

Do you use Beryllium nanotubes to go around corners?

Camping with Tellurium nanotubes?

Does an abundance of radium nanotubes cause some people to go off on one in forums?

Just make sure you don't make any from calcium...

All this is in a bid to be allowed to don my coat and leave the premises.

Mind you, keep at it long enough and my employers may just make my wish come true. Premenantly.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

strong demand

That should see strong demand from the legal profession.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Not just me

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who feels that they work with BiNT's on a regular basis

10. Paul Kinsler

heh

... and the number of times the C acronym is used in the text is quite large. And it's Royal Soc Chemistry journal, paper marked as "Received (in Cambridge, UK)" ... it is implausible that noone would have noticed this. But then, I suppose, it is the obvious acronym, generated in the same way as exisiting ones .... anything else would have looked odd, in a sense.

11. M. Poolman
    Paris Hilton

I chose Paris because she's a

Bismuth nanotube ?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

FluoroUraniumCarboPotassium-Methane!

This is not original work. The Hugh Heffner Institute has already published several articles showing advanced copper nanotubes that are are also PlutoniumBeryllium-free.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

My university

in Australia was called Curtin University of Technology (CUT). Rumour always was that it was originally intended to be called Curtin University of New Technology but for some reason the New was dropped.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More examples that may or may not be true

Newcastle Poly was going to call itself the City University of Newcastle upon Tyne...

Bible-bashing students at Cambridge once set up a Cambridge University New Testament Society...

15. Dan

hmm..

I wonder if any chinese boffins are working on quadruple in-line memory modules.. i've been waiting years.

16. Steven Davison
    Boffin

Beautiful

I suppose a calling someone a copper nanotube sounds better than callling them a James Blunt... I think it sounds Pete Tong!

17. Simon Reed
    Coat

A new one for the terraces

To be heard chanted on the terraces the length and breadth of the country on Saturday afternoon:

"All coppers are nanotubes. All coppers are nanotubes."

(Sadly, I cannot imagine Reg reader chanting it, nor one copper understanding it!)

18. Steve

Examples

Rumour has it that Border TV was originally called Scottish Highlands and Islands Television until someone was doodling in a board meeting...

19. LaeMi Qian
    Coat

Is this really new?

A significant portion of the human population have had these for centuries. About 0.7 billion have them right now! And that is only the Chinese version! ;-P

20. Adrian Waterworth
    Coat

I always...

...feel a bit sorry for Ruthenium Nanotubes. They seem so much smaller and weedier than all the others.

Sorry, sorry, I know. That joke was a bit Protactinium Nanotubes.

OK. Got coat. Or should that be Cobalt-Astatine?

Yes, yes, I'm going.

21. JeffyPooh

DalTech

Is sometimes called the South Halifax Institute of Technology.

22. Fred
    Boffin

To Properly Image the Copper Nano-Tubes...

you very well might need one of these:

Proton Enhanced Nuclear Induction Spectroscope - (anacronym left to the reader)

The original Paper - (of the same name)

Journal of Chemical Physics, 1972 Val 56, Number 4, page 1776

23. Johan Struwwelpeter
    Go

What a ...

cunning stunt ! have those sinoscientists managed to pull off, so amazing .

24. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Another example

You can't have forgotten about the Sheffield Hallam Institute of Technology??

25. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Hallam

Doesn't need an acronym like that. It is synonymous with the word. The acronym would be redundant.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

C U Next Tuesday!

is my favoured way of expressing my opinion to the retreating back of an irritant.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Possibly already in use...

I wonder if these tubes went into this radio product (NSFW)

http://www.qx100.com/cp/show_175.html

28. Fozzy
    Paris Hilton

I think

We have a new vulture unit of measurement.

29. John Benson
    Stop

Although I hate to dignify this kind of thing with a comment...

...please! I'll wager that the title of The Register's award and the attention devoted to a copper-based expletive/body part pun are both silly and offensive to lots of readers.

When The Register pulls its punches, it recalls Punch (of blessed memory). When it doesn't, it smacks of losers like Beavis and Butthead sniggering "He said ... heh-heh heh-heh heh-heh".

Please note that B&B were themselves the real object of satire, much in the tradition of German Lausbuben (rascals) like Max and Moritz, and Struwelpeter.

Why would The Register voluntarily turn itself into a similar object of derision?

This topic is closed for new posts.