back to article Worthless iPhone 'Wikileaks App' removed from Apple Store

An iOS app designed to provide access to Wikileaks has been removed from the Apple App Store. "Wikileaks App" was a paid app ($1.99) which did nothing more than present the Wikileaks Twitter feed and website – both of which can of course still be seen by iDevice users with sufficient energy to activate their browser and/or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

down with wikileaks!

Yeeeah! This relentless assault on Wikileaks via empty, childish rhetoric is awesome. I love it when free speech is surpressed via full-on propaganda and phoney legal action. Wow, what a fantastic future us humans have eh? I'm proud to be part of it!

1. Windrose
      WTF?

Lemme see if I get this right ...

... free speech is "surpressed" [sic] when other people use THEIR right to free speech?

Damn interesting definition you got there, grasshopper. Don't think anyone ever said that using your right to speak your opinion would lead to folks NOT laughing at you.

2. mccp
      WTF?

This title has been redacted

Eh?

Whatever your view on the rights or wrongs of AssangeGate, it seems perfectly reasonable of Apple to remove an app that simply took money from gullible souls to direct them to a public URL that they could already reach via Safari.

How do you see that as a "relentless assault etc, etc"?

1. gjw
        Jobs Horns

Yeah right

So it's reasonable to remove apps that simply takes money from gullible souls. That doesn't explain why Apple hasn't removed 99.99% of all apps.

You can find the real reason in the NYT btw:

Apps must comply with all local laws and may not put an individual or group in harm’s way

It is questionable whether this app doesn't comply with local laws, there aren't any formal accusations yet, and Apple should refrain from a value judgement about 'putting an individual or group in harm's way'.

This is nothing but big business protecting big business with the Merikan government as waterboy, in other words: muzzling.

And no, I don't think disclosing these cables was a very good idea, by the way, but we have legal systems in place for what Apple is doing here.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Alert

taking money from the gullible

It's what microsoft has been doing for years, and is an approved, probably patented, business model of tens of thousands of other comapnies. This cannot be the reason Appel shut them down...

2. 68 SK LFG
        Unhappy

Imagination Land....IMAGINATION land.....SouthPark was correct.

Why is it every time that there is an investigation of anything, The American press and their single-source-news-morons attach a 'Gate" to it?

The original Watergate I can see, after all it started at the Watergate Hotel in DC, but evidently anyone in journalism class to taught to label gov investigations a 'gate'.

Why?

Pedantic BS, but damn.

3. John Hughes

Buts that what lots of "iphone apps" are.

"an app that simply took money from gullible souls to direct them to a public URL that they could already reach via Safari.":

3. bolccg
      Stop

Hmmm

Look, there is certainly a role for a whistleblowing site and so on but it seems to me that there is not, a priori, something pious or beneficial about releasing any and all information. If someone put about your credit card details and PIN, would you applaud the transparency, for example?

Everything I've read from the dump of diplomatic cables might be titilating but I've seen nothing that would fall under what I would call whistleblowing and much of it is clearly damaging in some way or another.

In the wider sense, diplomacy is clearly best conducted with tact, delicacy and the frank exchange of information between diplomats on site and their bosses back at home. In the narrower sense, from what I understand certain sources in very unsympathetic countries have basically been outed by this information. This puts them at risk of personal reprisals and surely reduces the likelihood that people will provide information to the US in the future. Does this strike you as a good thing?

It seems to me that the only major indictment of the US that has come out of these cables is that they could be so widely accessed and so easily leaked in the first place. That does not justify publication.

It may be entertaining to read this stuff and, if you have a reflexive dislike of America, it may be fun to see their diplomats squirm, but really, what good has been done with the release? This isn't empty, childish rhetoric. This is real world, grown-up consideration of the value in what wikileaks has done. Fun != justification for releasing information. We might all like to know what is going on behind the scenes but any mature individual knows that some things are keep secret for a reason.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't The Reg develop an app like that?

You'd probably double your readership and make $3.98.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On counting the votes

OK, it should be $5.97. I stand corrected.

2. thecakeis(not)alie

El Reg Android App.

$13.37

I should write one...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

If Wikileaks = Assange then Wikileaks = Doomed

People need to separate Wikileaks from the Assange Cult of Personality. Charging Assange with rape under Sweden's wacky laws is not the same as denigrating Wikileaks. Wikileaks has brought a great deal to light that should be out in the light. Assange is merely an egomaniac.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Doomed

I cannot agree with this, Wikileaks and Assange have acted in an entirely irresponsible way. Information has been dumped on the Internet without serious thought either to the consequences, or indeed value as 'whistle blowing' material.

It may be true that the recent dump of US diplomatic material has brought things to light that should be highlighted, but I cannot see what they might be? It is far easier to point to the material and find examples which represent information that could be used against NATO countries interests and citizens.

I really cannot see where the distinction between Wikileaks and Assange starts and finishes, to me they are all but one and the same. Ego, dogma and self promotion at any price!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The difference

Although the latest tranche does seem to be blatant self-promotion, Wikileaks have done some good in the past. For example, they received an award for highlighting humanitarian abuses elsewhere in the world.

Assange on the other hand, from what I can tell he's an egomanical self-serving cock.

I'd say though, the harm Wikileaks are doing outweighs the good

4. Purple People Eater
    Thumb Up

@raidet

Well done, Sir. Well done.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Sir

A 'worthless' app?

I can't believe it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@down with wikileaks!

I think you may have missed the point of this article. Far be it for me a Wikileaks critic to point this out, but I think the article describes the Iphone app as worthless and doesn't really pass comment on Wikileaks itself.

1. bolccg
      WTF?

Lots of single down thumbs

Dare I suggest that the original poster has been systematically voting down everyone who disagrees with him? Downvoting my post (for example) I can understand because I disagree with his central premise. But downvoting your pointing out the fact that this article was actually about an app is pretty lame.

1. thecakeis(not)alie
        Badgers

Assange is my hero! I want him to have my babies!

Just read any of these Wikileaks articles. Anyone who says anything that could remotely be interpreted in the slightest possible way as not completely glowing with praise for Wikileaks and Assange eventually gets at least four thumbs down. Forget that many insightful posts backed by actual evidence are posted here asking tough questions that the Assange = hero crowd refuse to answer....no, anyone speaking ill of Assange must be downvoted.

There are apparently some real fanatics amidst El Reg's readership. Frankly, it scares me. That people can be so blinded by hero worship they can't understand that /everyone/ is human, /everyone/ makes mistakes and /everyone has skeletons in their closet...well, actually ‘scary’ doesn’t cut it.

I also find it interesting how some people can’t seem to separate criticism of Assange himself from criticism of Wikileaks and/or criticism of the concept of whistleblowing. Seriously, what is it about the Assange that causes some people to disengage their critical thinking organs? More importantly, what the heck are they doing on El Reg, of all places? El Reg and her readership are notoriously critical of everything and everyone!

*sigh*

Maybe I’m just getting old. I never did get this “web 2.0 hivemind” stuff. I need to myface some twitter while I meta-tag my wikis and mix post my pictures and personal information all of my geo-located frappuchino app on my superphone. Can someone please teach me to stop thinking for myself?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

I'll teach you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

Start here!

2. thecakeis(not)alie

:o I got a thumbsdown!

I don't understand! I said Assange is my hero and I wanted him to have my babies! What do I have to say to be part of the hivemind? Please, please, please let me into the hivemind club!

Pretty please? I'll make Assange plushies!

7. DannyAston
    Thumb Up

Metrics?

Where did you find that app store metrics?

8. Haku
    Coat

They'll waste their money on anything, those iDevice owners

Speaking of which, I've almost finished my iDevice solar panel app, simply run the app (which shows a picture of a solar panel), put the device in the sun and now you can smugly tell everyone around you that you're charging your unit using free energy.

It's not actually for iDevice owners, it's laughing therapy tool for everyone else.

1. nation of stupid

there's money to be made there!

Put that together and charge 99 cents for it and see the money come in.

Although unfortunately for you it's the iPad owners who will be laughing at their gullible mates. Just look at the fingerprint security app.

9. PReDiToR
    FAIL

Useless Apps

So all those apps that go to forums, radio stations, read RSS feeds, display pictures on your homescreen (maybe not in the Apple market) are all worthless? What about the fart apps or the hundreds that replicate the functions already available in the phone settings for wifi, bluetooth or data connections?

All these apps should be deleted because they take money from lazy and/or gullible fools?

"A foole and his money be soone at debate: which after with sorow repents him too late" - T. Tusser

"Parted soon; a fool and his money are" - Yoda

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

SHOCK! HORROR!

So Apple/Jobs gunning for more US Gov supply contracts for it's kit, pulls app that might just be seen as too much for the Feds to stomach, well blow me down!

I couldn't give a monkey's about any of them really, I just find it amusing watching all the ego-maniacs fighting over this Wikileaks business. I'm surprised you can't hear half of those involved squeaking loudly as they drag their massive swollen egos through normal sized the doorways!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Say no more

I don't think I need say anymore. You planks are doing a fantastic job of exposing this "discussion" for what it is - here, and on all the other wikileaks articles where you guys seem to pop up.

Perhaps you need some "assistants" from the UK, where employees haven't been through a laughable US education and can therefore debate without using clumsy ad-hominem and straw man attacks.

12. NorthernMonkey
    Black Helicopters

A turtle is required and must contain lettuce and cucumbers

I tend to agree.

It seems eminiently sensible that Apple would remove an App that just duplicates something that Safari can do. It doesn't seem to add value. I'm aware that not all value-less apps in the store have been removed, I don't think anyone has disagreed that the policy is applied inconsistently. I just doubt there is any other motivation for the removal.

13. mhenriday
    WTF?

How does this «worthless» app -

which I agree was indeed superfluous - differ from similar apps which provide access to say, newspapers and which, it is claimed, will be the saviours of print media ? Can't most of these journals be accessed with null marginal cost via the web ? Is it really too suspicious to conclude that it was something other Apple's putative concern for end users that motivated the app being removed ?...

Henri

14. Oli 1
    Happy

If i had one wish...

..it would be that i could code.

In 3 days someone has, legally, had $5k dropped into their lap purely because "there is one born every minute"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

weather apps, rss apps, travel info apps

They all use data that is also available via a web browser. Some are indeed useless, some are not. I thought this was up to personal judgement. This app is obviously removed for other reasons.

Censorship and hypocrisy are a lethal combination, whatever your opinion on Assange.

16. Colin Millar
    Stop

Oh come on

It's ludicrous to suggest that the removal of this app is not related to wikileaks itself given the sheer volume of similarly useless crap that is still on sale.

Having said that - anything that reduces the web profile of Saint Julian is OK by me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like