back to article Orbital tourism industry holds spacewear fashion show

In the airless vacuum of space, fashion choices are limited. But the California Space Authority - an industry body - was having none of that this week, as it hosted a fashion show at its annual conference. Many of the outfits modelled seemed more suitable for somewhere more hospitable than actual space, though perhaps quite warm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

WTF?!!

I mean, seriously, WTF?!!

Putting aside the idiocy of the whole idea the clothes, hair and makeup on those girls (no men in space??) looks like it was thrown together by a bunch of primary school kids.

Heck my primary school kid DID do better than that when they has a charity 'fashion' show at her school.

2. Rob
    Paris Hilton

Nice Bonus

I've always wanted to go into space, and I've always wanted to see girls, preferably wearing as little as possible, as i have thus far failed on both counts, this is definitely good news.

mm, mini skirts in 0-G, great idea. (very practical you see, wouldn't hinder movement)

3. Vaughan Trevor Jones
    Paris Hilton

Now I have seen it all

Ah, oh well even if it would take an entire life time to reach another planet etc. At least everyone will have fashion sense. *Hides*

4. Dave Bell
    Alien

Try Japan

There was a similar fashion show in Japan, a few months ago, with designs by students at Tokyo University. The pictures I recall suggested that the designers had actially thought about what they were doing.

And the models had more Kawaii-points.

5. laird cummings

That sound you just heard...

...Was the sound of my eyes rolling into the next county.

Good Lord.

Can anyone think of anything more stupid? I suppose it's possible, but they'll have to think on it. I think this was just an excuse to get near-naked women into the conference, since sexual harassment rules now prohibit proper strippers.

I doubt any of the designers even know how to spell 'astronaut,' much less have ever seen on in suit.

6. Anonymous John
    Coat

I'll leave my coat.

It clearly won't be needed in outer space.

7. Morely Dotes
    IT Angle

OK, I have to ask...

IT angle?

And I'd add that there's not one of those.. women... who would be welcome to be seen out with me. They all remind me of Twiggy (and Naomi Campbell, who's like Twiggy with an attitude and a small electronic device to throw).

Now, what I want to know is - what would Cameron Mannheim wear in space.. during her space shower... You know, just as a matter of technical interest.

8. Sampler
    Coat

Loos like someone's been through the BBC's old sci-fi wardrobe

Blake 7 fashion show?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Try Japan Fashion

Actually, the dresses from the 2006 Japan fashion show were modeled that night and looked great. In fact the same group announced a new contest, this time offering $10,000.00 in cash & prizes.

Go to http://www.destinyspace.com

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Up and away/ in my beautiful balloon

"I've always wanted to see girls, preferably wearing as little as possible" - the internet will be perfect for you.

"There was a similar fashion show in Japan, a few months ago, with designs by students at Tokyo University" - there's a piccy here:

http://www.pinktentacle.com/2006/11/spacewear-fashion-show-looking-fly-in-zero-g/

Surprisingly, I cannot find any more photos. The official site has some concept art:

http://www.space-fashion.com/english/Gallery.html

The designs seem to have had more thought put into them, and the competition had been running since 2006. Perhaps The Register's article is about an imitation that was knocked up quickly over a weekend.

I choose Paris Hilton as my avatar, because she is an equal and opposite reaction.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Twiggy in SPPAAAAACE!

Nowt wrong with Twiggy.

Lots wrong with a fashion industry that expects everyone to look like Twiggy.

This topic is closed for new posts.