back to article 'Don't panic: We're still Delicious,' says Yahoo!-owned Web2.0 outfit

Social bookmarking service Delicious won't be shutdown by Yahoo! but is looking to sell its Web2.0 wares to a new suitor. "While we have determined that there is not a strategic fit at Yahoo!, we believe there is a ideal home for Delicious outside of the company where it can be resourced to the level where it can be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. WindyChat_com

Maybe GOOG should buy it.

eom

2. Paul RND*1000

Flickr and DeLicioUs

There's a really important difference.

Flickr is a free service with a reasonably priced pro upgrade that's worth it for a large percentage of users.

Delicious is a free service which...um...why would I want to give anyone money for it, exactly?

3. Matt Bradley
    Grenade

Bubble 2.0

So free-to-use web 2.0 poster children like these are just moneypits fit only for deep pocketed investors?

Who knew?

4. Chris_H

Delicious Alternative: YourVersion

I agree that Delicious and other Yahoo properties have loyal followings that appear to not have been actively reciprocated by their Yahoo parent. With Delicious' future in doubt, many people are looking for alternatives.

One alternative I recommend is YourVersion http://YourVersion.com. With YourVersion you can import both your Delicious bookmarks and tags (it keeps your public and private settings for each bookmark).

YourVersion is a real-time discovery engine that lets you discover, bookmark and share tailored web content (news, blogs, webpages, tweets and videos) by your specific interests. In addition to the website, YourVersion has free mobile apps (iPad, iPhone and Android) and browser tools for all browsers that lets you bookmark your discoveries to the YourVersion website as you browse the web.

5. a_been
    Paris Hilton

DDoS

So sacking everyone who worked their was just a DDoS then?

Paris, cos she deserves a sacking.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah!

I've always wanted to own altavista.com....I wonder what it's worth? Ok, I just looked and since it last changed hands at ~$3.5M I'll probably have to wait until its new owner drops it....at least.

7. Ian 35

There's a market, albeit a small one

Pinboard.in charges a signup fee for their delicious-alike service, that fee being $0.001 x the number of current users, so it pays to get in early. Since the delicious rumours broke at the end of last week, the price has gone from $7.45 to $8.45, so a thousand people have signed up. Which is $8000 in revenue, so nice work for a few days for a service that probably runs on a pair of commodity servers or a bit of EC3, but hardly the stuff of billion dollar market floats. I suspect that sets a real value: there will be people who have various reasons to need a collaborative or a centralised bookmarking service, but most people either don't need it, or have it as part of something else (I've never had much luck with the MobileMe bookmark sharing, but it's alleged to work) or tolerate not having it unless they can get it free.

8. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

profitability

"So free-to-use web 2.0 poster children like these are just moneypits fit only for deep pocketed investors?

Who knew?"

I wouldn't suspect it. I mean, if they charge 0 and have 0 ads, then yes it is. But I would think for something like social bookmarks, that the bandwidth usage is low, CPU usage is low, so it wouldn't take much income to pay costs and turn a profit. Maybe just 1 unobtrusive ad per page.

9. theporscheguys

Delicious not quite dead yet

Even with all the reassurance from delicious, I still exported all of my bookmarks and have imported them onto http://ocell.us as they are guaranteeing to be around for a long time.

10. Mr Pedantio

A sensible use of the cloud

To me, bookmarks are precisely the kind of thing suited to a cloud solution. I never used to bother trying to keep them because I was forever changing computers, browsers and operating systems. When del.icio.us appeared, I signed up straight away and have thousands of well-organized bookmarks on there. I couldn't bear to lose my bookmarks, so have now joined Pinboard, who seem to have done a nice job of replicating delicious exactly. Clearly some people would pay for this kind of service.

11. John 62
    Jobs Halo

phew

I thought Yahoo! had bought Delicious Monster and that MS would buy Yahoo! for reals this time to get Delicious Library and make it Windows exclusive.

Then I remembered there's a social bookmarking site called Del.icio.us that I never bothered with.

12. Richard 84

Yahoo should have pulled their finger out...

...and clarified their position before the recent mass exodus.

Alternative services have been struggling to cope over the past few days, and presumably enough damage has been done in terms of active users to make the service less attractive to a buyer.

Unless of course the plan was to reduce costs a bit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like