back to article MEGA DINO-WHALE from 'Valley of the Whales' exhibited

Bone-griffling boffins in the States are chuffed to announce their new and magnificent, fully assembled 50-foot-long prehistoric carnivorous dinomegawhale fossil. The mighty Basilosaurus isis was discovered along with more than a thousand other aeons-dead whale skeletons in an area of Egyptian desert known as the "Valley of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Hughes 1

Intelligent design?

"The Exhibit Museum tells the story of life on Earth, and when museum visitors see Basilosaurus, they’ll be able to see evidence for whale evolution, which is one of the more interesting stories in evolution.”

That should go down well in IntelligentDesignville then.

1. Disco-Legend-Zeke

I Find It Hard...

1...to believe in people that don't believe in evolution.

2...to resist making a crack about giving a bone for christmas.

2. P. Lee
      Troll

Intelligent design?

People don't see what they don't want to see, they will see what they want to be there.

1. hplasm
        Coat

- unless

It's invisible, and ineffable...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Land Walking Whales

There are not extinct. I was married to a land walking whale known as "Ex-Wifeasuarus" and of course the well known "Mother-in-law asaurus Rex".

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Land Walking Whales

It's funny because he's comparing women to prehistoric whales which were much larger than real women even the really fat ones.

1. raving angry loony

really?

How do you know? Have you met his ex-wifeasaurus? And he's only comparing two women to prehistoric whales, not all women.

2. Hollerith 1

Can't help but feel...

...that a killer-whale ex-wife became so because she was tanked together with a chunk of bottom-feeding pond scum...

But perhaps I'm being overly-harsh. Maybe she's actually charming.

1. hplasm
        Joke

Killer-whale

But surely that equals 1000 ordinary whales...

3. Frumious Bandersnatch
      Coat

they're still assembling partial skeleton for that one

In keeping with the one mentioned in the article it'll be called "sybilosaurus"

3. K. Adams
    Black Helicopters

Lasers?

Pity...

Creatures of this size could have had some pretty frickin' heavy lasers attached to their heads... Could have been useful.

1. Fluffykins Silver badge

Lasers?

Frikking LASERS?!

Oh, that's so last year.

What we really need is a bloodyfuckoffbigosaurus capable of carrying a fully weaponised 64MJ railgun.

Now that's what I CALL the mother of all mothers in law.

1. Nick Wallis
        Joke

armed dinosaurs

4chan has an image of bazooka equipped raptors riding sharks somewhere.

and

kiloWales - an area 1000 times the size of Wales?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flying snakes

The picture reminds me of Herodotus' story about flying snakes on the borders of Egypt.

5. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Coat

gift idea

"We’re encouraging people to give a bone for the holidays—it’s an exciting and unusual gift idea."

Nothing new in that. I always give the missus a bone for the holidays. nudge nudge wink wink

1. Dr. Mouse

Damnit!

You beat me to it! Erm...

You got in there first... No, not much better

I can't think of a phrase without innuendo!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Horns

@ gift idea

And the missus thinks, "Shit not this again, every year the same old thing, why won't the tight bastard buy me some purfume?".

3. Mr Grumblefish

Yes but ...

"There’s no limit of sponsors per bone". This way you get to share your bone.

6. Johnny Canuck

wait a minute

Aren't whales mammals? Didn't all mammals evolve from the little rat-like mammal that survived the extinction of the dinosaurs? It seems to me that by naming it Basilosaurus they are inferring that it evolved from a dinosaur and not our common ancestor.

1. Phil Endecott

Re: wait a minute

> It seems to me that by naming it Basilosaurus they are inferring

> that it evolved from a dinosaur

Wikipedia explains all:

Basilosaurus ("King Lizard") is a genus of cetacean that lived from 40 to 34 million years ago in the Late Eocene.[1] Its fossilized remains were first discovered in the southern United States (Louisiana), and were initially believed to be some sort of reptilian sea monster, hence the suffix -"saurus", but later it was found that was not the case.[2] Richard Owen wished to rename the crearure Zeuglodon ("Yoked Tooth"), but, as always, the creature's first name stuck

1. LaeMing
        Alert

Whaaaaaaa!

There is [sic] CONTRAVERSY over whether it is mammal or saurian! This PROVES evolution is a LIE!

(do I really neet the joke icon?)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Aren't whales mammals?

If you look at the artists impression, the lack of gills and the nostrils are a bit of a give away.

Also the two tiny rear legs are notable. :)

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: wait a minute

"It seems to me that by naming it Basilosaurus they are inferring that it evolved from a dinosaur..."

Either that or they reckon it's actually a hand puppet with a penchant for rotten gags....

Ha ha ha ha ha......Boom Boom!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

give a bone for the holidays

Yes, I tried. Turned down again. I guess it's back to the Christmas goose.

8. Mips
    Jobs Horns

Do you want to eread that first paragraph again?

Who has been using too much Christmas sauce then?

9. Deckchair

RE: Intelligent design?

The whale is a lie.

10. mhenriday
    WTF?

This must be a fake -

I just checked Genesis 1:21 and it states clearly : «And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, ...» ; i e, not a word about any so-called «Basilosaurus» ! Don't you people over at the Reg check your sources before posting ?!!...

Henri

11. proto-robbie
    Headmaster

spoof innit

Basilosaurus; Professor Gingerich and Valley of the Whales? I think not: be off with you, poltroons.

This topic is closed for new posts.