back to article Winona Ryder to suckle Spock in Star Trek XI

The roster of thespos lined up to grace the eleventh celluloid outing of Star Trek now boasts Winona Ryder as a young Spock's mum, the BBC reports. For those of you who aren't up to speed on the casting details for the upcoming trekkie epic, it will feature Karl Urban as Leonard "Bones" McCoy, Eric Bana as villain Nero, John …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vaughan Trevor Jones
    IT Angle

I could ask whats the IT angle but...

Well asking whats the IT angle I guess would be plain pointless but another Star Trek movie. I dunno hey, part of me thinks it could be pretty good of cause its never good to milk an old cow

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Pure Class

"Leonard Nimoy will also appear as Spock senior, doubtless bearing a wide grin after having been suckled on Ryder's admirable mams."

The Register: one classy publication.

3. Guy
    Go

Skinny People in California

If your able to get to Burbank this Saturday, and fancy being a young starfleet cadet, or tight clothed Vulcan, this is your chance...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=39080

Open casting call for extras, as the article states -

Everyone must be thin, athletic, fit; wardrobe will be form-fitting.

Which I'm sure all the techie people reading this correspond to ::cough::

But more reassuringly...

Talent with interesting and unique facial features such as: long necks, small heads, extremely large heads, wide-set eyes, bug eyes, close-set eyes, large forehead, short upper lip, pronounced cheekbones, over- or undersized ears and/or nose, facial deformities, ultra plain-looking people, ultra perfect-looking people, pure wholesome looks, twins, triplets, emaciated talent, regally poised and postured talent, or other visually unique characteristics.

Now that we might be able to do...

Live long and all that..

4. Charles Calthrop
    Coat

steal the show

does that mean we hope she does steal the show, or she doesn't

5. Michael Sheils
    Thumb Up

Admirable

I just finished watching Sex & Death with Ryder in and those are indeed admirable mams.

6. John Folken Wolf
    Alien

All Your Borg Are Belong To Us

The Borg collective IQ would take an abysmal drop in the event of a Borging of that kind of staff... but their PR rating would go up thanks to "The Mams" !

7. Giles Jones Gold badge

Advice to the costume department

Keep the costume department locked!!

8. Matt Thornton
    Boffin

IT Angle

"...and subsequently went boldy forth..."

and presumably underline-y and italic-y as well.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@guy

"ultra perfect-looking people..."

What time do they want me?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Re IT angle

does there have to be one?, look a bit further up the page for justification

clue, its just below the vulture, and its got two M's

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Shame...

...that in the original series Spock's mother was human.

Ah well, what's continuity between friends?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Shame

is this -> . a piece of your brain ?

13. E

Stupid villain names

Nero? That is about as subtle as a crowbar upside the skull.

Just in case any viewers manage to construe Sulu or Scotty or Uhuru as the villain, we'll have "Nero - I'm the villain, yoohoo, it's me - Nero! The villain!".

I'm not as well versed as some in Roman history, but was Nero even a villain? Wasn't he more incompetent than malicious?

14. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Everyone must be thin, athletic, fit; wardrobe will be form-fitting.

Ah, so *that's* why Shanter didn't get the part...!

15. Bloody_Yank
    Alien

You had me at ...

... suckled

16. John Folken Wolf
    Flame

RE: Stupid villain names

Well, the lad burned Rome to ashes... dunno what that makes him to you, but 'villain' sure comes to mind for me.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ Shame...

What are you gibbering on about, continuity? It doesn't say anything in the article about Spock's mum not being human. It says "Talented thespiatrix confirmed as Vulcan's mum", not "...as Vulcan mum". Learn to read.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Pity...

.... they picked her & not 7 of 9.... ah well

19. anthony bingham

Sort of space between the ears ....

Boldly going were no one else gives a toss about and being less than warp speed at geting the message ... now Dr Who ... that is a blue box full of Xmas delight and no breast milk with the pudding!

20. Brett Weaver
    Boffin

@E: Malicious or incompetent

"I'm not as well versed as some in Roman history, but was Nero even a villain? Wasn't he more incompetent than malicious?"

I'm afraid that morally, there appears to me to be no difference between incompetence and malice. In order to be incompetent (rather than just accident prone) you need to be dishonest and attempt to fool at least yourself. This is why the poor have always been looked down upon because lack of success is an indicator for dishonesty. ("Cheats never prosper!")

The difference seems to be that the malicious person chooses who they hurt. The incompetent does not care who they hurt. They are both villains!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Malicious or incompetent

"was Nero even a villain"

He was just plain insane.

"This is why the poor have always been looked down upon because lack of success is an indicator for dishonesty."

I don't know what are the rules in the western part of Europe, but for example in Hungary, the indication of dishonesty is success. All the political leaders in power and all the rich businessman are dishonest. The prime minister even admitted lying and cheating to win and he still got to keep his seat.

ps: If someone with a less than perfect figure wants to be in a star trek movie, he just have to take a klingon role. They tend to be on the bigger side and are mostly covered in armor.

22. Spleen

@E

Maybe he could nip over to the next film set and get General Grievous and Darth Sidious to give him some advice on how to appear good when your name is literally synonymous with "evil".

23. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Sylar's eating Winona's Brains?

Ah so thats where she keeps em.

24. Andrew Moore
    Pirate

Nero???

I can't help but think the RIAA are somewhat involved here. What's the betting that the new villain is responsible for pirating music and burning it onto CDs...

25. Kamal Hashmi
    Stop

RE: Stupid villain names

Quote: Well, the lad burned Rome to ashes... dunno what that makes him to you, but 'villain' sure comes to mind for me.

As far as I know, he didn't. He tried to save it from the conflagration.

Also, I'm sure many of the people subjugated by Rome, e.g. the Jews, would have thought that Rome merited a good burning or two - whatever it did for civilisation in general.

26. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Alert

@Kamal

you really need to brush up on your history. Nero most assuredly did NOT try to SAVE Rome from the conflagration.

Nero wanted a new Rome, wanted to do away with the dirt, filth and grime in the streets of old Rome (not actually a bad idea in itself), and he did what any lazy, insane nutcase would do : he tried reformatting.

And, if you manage to read enough History, you'll even learn that Nero actually took a harp and sang from his balcony while Rome burned.

Go ahead and look it up. I'm sure even Wackypedia has that part right.

27. Slaine
    Heart

@ pity ...comment by Anon-Cow

mmmm ... Jeri Ryan

28. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Re: skinny people in California

>> But more reassuringly...

>>

>> Talent with interesting and unique facial features such as: long necks,

>> small heads, extremely large heads, wide-set eyes, bug eyes, close-set

>> eyes, large forehead, short upper lip, pronounced cheekbones, over- or

>> undersized ears and/or nose, facial deformities, ultra plain-looking

>> people, ultra perfect-looking people, pure wholesome looks, twins,

>> triplets, emaciated talent, regally poised and postured talent, or other

>> visually unique characteristics.

>>

>> Now that we might be able to do...

I reckon I could tick all those boxes on my own. Shame I am not in California.

29. Kamal Hashmi
    Flame

@Pascal

Quote:you really need to brush up on your history. Nero most assuredly did NOT try to SAVE Rome from the conflagration.

Zzzz. Yes he did. So there.

-Kamal.

P.S. BTW there were frequent large fires in Rome, this one was a bit bigger. Nero was away at the time and came back to try and organise fighting the fire. The report by Tacitus is not credible as he was a boy at the time of the fire and he wrote his account much later under another Emperor so dissing an earlier one was a popular move. Nero used the aftermath of the fire to replan Rome and deflected any criticism by blaming the Christians for the fire (and feeding them to the lions) - but that doesn't mean he set Rome on fire.

30. jai

Re: Pity

".... they picked her & not 7 of 9.... ah well"

how could Spock's mum be a Borg though? that wouldn't work - you'd need some kind of space-time continuum mix up for that to happen.

Great Scott !!! there's a perfect movie cross-over to have Marty McFly as the Captain of the Enterprise

"No Klingon calls me chicken!!"

p.s. i like the way all you die-hard Trekkie geeks are posting as Anon and not admitting to being the card-carrying pointy-ear-wearing geeks you are :-D

31. Tawakalna

but it's all wrong!

<puts on pointy ears and goes into geek mode>

typical ludicrous retconning as exemplified in the dreadful Star Trek: Enterprise, taking diabolical liberties with established stories and characters. From the very beginning it was clear that Spock was older than Jim and Bones and was serving on the Enterprise before they were, under Chris Pike (and possibly even Robert April)

It was also established in DS9 Trials & Tribblations that Dax met Bones whilst he was a Starfleet medical student, but she'd never met Kirk or Spock before.

At least Zachary Quinto looks a bit like Spock and has sufficient gravitas to carry the role; Winona Ryder looks nothing like Jane Wyatt who played Amanda and all you'll see is Winona Ryder, not the character. It's going to be awful, I'd rather stick to ST: New Voyages, at least they keep to the established characters and events.

Are Berman/Braga producing this? no wonder it's a mockery then.

<argh! my ears won't come off!>

This topic is closed for new posts.