back to article Oracle mobile Java licensing suit boomerangs

Oracle and a hot-selling Java mobile software maker have fired lawsuits at each other over who controls Java - and at what price. Oracle and Myriad Group have filed dueling suits in the US, both alleging unfair competition and breach of license agreements, among other charges. Both suits were filed on December 10, with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. thecakeis(not)alie

Let the TCKs go free!

The time has come for full java stacks on mobiles. JME must die. DIE JME DIE!!!

1. JD Evora

Yes and no

I agree that JME should die and a full stack should be put into the phones.

But letting the TCKs free we only allow even more fragmentation, I agree with "let then put a jre on every phone for free"

Cheers

JD

1. thecakeis(not)alie

That I can't agree with.

JME is an abomination and needs to die, but Oracle's hold on Java needs to be loosened. Everything Oracle touches turns into too-expensive-for-purpose buckets of crap. The way I see it, there needs to be two options:

1) Let the TCKs go free such that Harmony (and by extension Davlik) are legal. From there, these two projects can be brought into compliance with the "mainstream" Java and we will have one universe once more.

2) Oracle waves around it's gigantic sueballs and there becomes "Java" and "Coffee." Oracle's precious becomes a "multi-platform language and execution environment' that only works on high-end servers. The rest of the world forks Java and creates something that ACTUALLY works on all platforms.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some MariaDB updates pending and LibreOffice just finished downloading…

2. Sureo
    Unhappy

Java?

Time to move on I guess.

3. Ian Michael Gumby

Interesting lawsuit.

Unlike Google, it appears that Myriad played by the rules.

This lawsuit/counter suit is going to be very interesting to see how it plays out.

What's the FRAND for mobile Java?

(I mean what is a reasonable license fee for mobile java these days?)

4. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

So

Let me get this straight.

1) Oracle wants to buy Sun, and therefore Java

2) US and EC regulators block the sale until Oracle can show that their motives are pure and they will not try and rape and pillage Java licencees

3) Oracle says <something> to said regulators and apparently convinces them that everything is peachy keen and above board.

4) Before the ink has even dried on the takeover contract Oracle becomes embroiled in multiple lawsuits alleging widespread copyright and patent infringements by world+dog.

Do the regulators even care or are they too busy rubber stamping the next big borging by some US mega corp?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So

Sun was already doing this stuff before Oracle took over, so the regulators really had no impact on how this all worked out.

2. AeroSpike

Re: So

Very valid point. First time I see it mentioned, but very valid indeed.

5. Andy 57
    Pirate

Objective C FTW !!!

Java is a monster ! Complex apps, in Java, on a mobile phone, quick double the memory!!!

1. sola
      Thumb Down

Rubbish

This is rubbish, probably from an Apple fanboy.

First of all what Java are you talking about? J2ME, Android apps?

Complex applications consume more memory on EVERY PLATFORM.

6. sola
    FAIL

Oracle will kill Java completely

With this brainless bickering with Java licensees.

I just hope that Apache and Google quickly create a "fork" of Java and everyone moves there leaving Oracle alone with their stupid and aggressive behaviour.

1. thecakeis(not)alie
      Happy

Indeed.

Be in Harmony with your Java fork.

1. THUFIR HAWAT
        FAIL

Harmony isn't ©Java

If I understand, because it's not certified, Harmony can't claim to be ©Java. But, what stops it from claiming to be Harmony? Oracle bought the copyright to the name ©Java, and owns the TCK, so can do what they like with the name ©Java and the TCK(?). Where and how does Apache go about telling Oracle the terms and conditions for Oracle software? Strange concept.

OTOH, If there's something you don't like about ©Java, great, fork OpenJDK -- oops, you'll have to use that dreaded (L)GPL. This is really about Apache not wanting to use the LGPL, nothing more.

To reiterate, Java is already open source. What's the problem?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like