back to article Apple touts top iTunes tunes of 2010

The top-selling iTunes albums and singles of the year are out, with much therein to irk the curmudgeon at whom very little of this commercial music is aimed. The five ear-bothering songs which sold the most were (cue Fluff Freeman countdown jingle): 5) 'Dynamite' – Bouncy R'n'B by Taio Cruz. 4) 'Airplanes' – Wistful R'n'B …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh please,

Don't Stop Believing by Journey (NOT Glee) was obviously the song of the year.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Moldy Oldies

> Don't Stop Believing by Journey (NOT Glee) was obviously the song of the year.

...and worth a $80K tort judgement if you're caught pirating it.

2. PostDocRoc

Song-Abuse is the New Thing

I would agree the old stuff is the best -- but it needs to be whipped and humiliated first. For instance, see what the American duo of Dicey and Paprika do to Stevie Nicks in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um6q_j40Pl0

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

May i suggest

That you check out this unofficial but frankly MASSIVELY better video of We no speaqk americano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3S4dBk4E1g

Video is better than the song.

3. Code Monkey

Best single of 2010?

I Knew You Didn't Love Me Anymore When You Changed Your Facebook Status to Single by Trevor Sensitive and the Locals

http://trevorsensitiveandthelocals.bandcamp.com/album/i-knew-you-didnt-love-me-any-more-when-you-changed-your-facebook-status-to-single

Disclaimer: I'm neither Trevor Sensitive, not a Local. I just like em.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What?

Plan B = Winehouse? Only to someone who has never actually listened to an album by either or is clinically deaf. Or both.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: What?

In the sense that they both do hip-hop-inflected modern soul. It's not that much of a stretch. And regardless, 'Stay Too Long' is a brilliant single.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

"We suggest..."

But your suggestion is wrong.

Best album - Pure Reason Revolution : Hammer & Anvil

Best single - oh, who cares?

6. David Perry 2
    Heart

I dislike....

...lady gaga, kesha and most of katy perry's stuff. Kesha talks anyway, she doesn't sing so shouldn't be included in any chart.

1. Jason Hall

Boom! Boom! Boom!

Unfortunately my daughter loves all those 'artists' which can be a bit of a downer when you just want a rest from a hard day at work.

I get my laughs where I can though as I have now ruined Katy Perry's Fireworks as all my daughter can now think of is Baldrick and his Boom! Boom! Boom! song whenever it's on the TV :)

7. jake Silver badge

Blimey. I *am* getting old.

I have never heard of any of 'em. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Current tunage: Mose Allison's "Young Man Blues".

::mental note:: Add The Who's "Live at Leeds" to the background rotation ...

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

Same here!

Last time I looked at the "hit parade", EMF and The Stone Roses were in there!

8. andy gibson
    Happy

2010 isn't over...

"Bird is the word" will surely be the song of the year!

9. Juan Inamillion
    Thumb Up

@jake

Phew... Some sanity - and taste, thanks goodness.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

My kids know who these people are....

....but I'm busy filling in the gaps in my 70s prog rock and ace guitarists collection and then ripping that instead of buying it from iTunes.

Old, too bloody right!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heritage

Good to see a couple of prog rock fans in the list.

1. WaveyDavey
      Thumb Up

Yes!

ftw

12. Richard Cartledge
    WTF?

Old

I'm 36 and never heard of any of them.

13. envmod
    FAIL

couldn't if i wanted to

most of the music i like isn't on itunes.

14. John 62
    Megaphone

failTunes

Ms Bee previously disgraced herself by stating her dislike of Ten Benson on these pages so I was glad her moderatrixness redeemed herself by recognising the only worthwhile songs on a list that was otherwise awful.

Single of the year is actually Bang Bang Bang by Mark Ronson and the Business Intl Featuring Q-Tip and MNDR. But I bought my download from Amazon (though I did buy the video from iTunes).

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: failTunes

That is indeed one of the best singles of the year, being a choon and all. I still think 'Stay Too Long' is better though. And I stand by my opinion of Ten Benson. Although I hated Hefner more.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: failTunes

Take a listen to the Pendulum remix of Stay Too Long. It actually tries you rip your ears off when you listen to it....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes....

...heard that and had to find out what is was. My kids like it too!

15. YumDogfood

Play some nice xmassy goth, its good to keep your children scared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjeeNTC6uxU

16. Futumsh
    Thumb Up

@ yumdogfood

Brilliant! - love it.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Music?

Pah? Mostly so called R&B/#rap - whatever happened to good music. Oh, I know, street culture took over and ruined it all with its clap, click and cymbal samples . Thankfully it hasn't taken over the rest of Europe yet.

18. JEDIDIAH
    Linux

Classic Apple lack of organization...

You know, in the old days they had all sorts of methods of slicing and dicing these sales numbers.

There wasn't just a single "top of the pops". There were several.

What happened to "genres" and whatnot? This list seems much like any group of songs or photos "flattened" by an Apple tool.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
      Jobs Horns

Blasphemy

Ranking by genre? We can't have that. What if operating systems were ranked by task?

19. Owen Shepherd
    Pint

All too familiar...

These songs are all too familiar to me. However, this is more to do with my job than my taste in music: I work in a night club. The DJs play them all the time.

That doesn't mean they haven't entered my playlist however (using Spotify). I will not pretend that I don't have a "Cheese" playlist - because they're all awfully effective ear worms.

20. PhilipN Silver badge

Fluff

Would SB like to explain to the kids here about Fluff Freeman or shall I help? As soon as I have drunk my cocoa.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like