back to article T-Mobile tots up cost of £199 iPad 3G

T-Mobile has become the latest UK mobile phone network to subsidise Apple's iPad. No great surprise, that, since fellow Everything Everywhere-owned cellco, Orange, has already done so, but at last the details of the T-Mobile deal are out. On offer, just the 16GB iPad, available at the subsidised price of £199 in return for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The main man

Pointless exercise

Why would one want to cough up another monthly phone bill? This is equivalent to having two phone contracts. If i were to get this device, i will just play with it and have a PAYG account to download data i.e. apps, games etc when needed. Tying me two another phone contract is just plain silly. Some people have too much money to spend than common sense

1. Rebajas
      Stop

So says you.

Depends what it's used for. Just because it doesn't make financial sense for you, doesn't mean it's not worth it to someone else?

1. Alex Walsh

Whatever...

...its used for, it doesn't make sense saddling yourself with a 2 year contract on a device about to be replaced.

Personally, £429 for a wifi only device, £120 for a Mifi with 12gigs of data on 3 (expires after 12 months if not used, then a tenner a month on top ups), looks a better deal, even if the upfront cost is substantially higher.

1. Chad H.
          WTF?

A device thats about to be replaced

I mean, lets face it, that sums up every single consumer electronic device out there- there's always going to be a bigger and better one - Phone, computer, Electric Razor...

2. Youngdog

Doesn't Joe Public get Multi-SIM in the UK?

I have been away a while so don't take the p*ss if I am stating the obvious. Multi-SIM: Basically 2 SIM cards, 1 number, 1 bill - only one of the SIMs can get voice/SMS (goes in the phone 'natch) but both allow data and costs approx. £25 extra a month. No new contract required.

1. Rebajas
        WTF?

Barbequed Bananas

If you're worried about the fact it's going to be replaced, surely you would wait? Not buy an inferior model and carry a separate MiFi device around with you. Additionally, if you couldn't wait, you'd just swap out the SIM to your new device and sell your old iPad on eBay.

Besides, not everyone cares about having the latest tech, especially if what is on the market does what you need it to do.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not good value

It would be cheaper to buy the ipad and an android phone from t-mobile and use the phone as a wifi hotspot.

1. famousringo

Good for the wallet, hard on the battery

I can see the appeal of having only one data contract, but my iPad's battery is a whole lot beefier than my phone's. I don't think it would last too long with all radios blazing like that.

I guess it all comes down to your usage patterns and what you think is worth paying for.

3. nyelvmark

Duh...

Why the hell would anyone pay for limited data transfer? Limited bandwidth, I can understand, but a fixed quantity of data transferable in a month looks like an abitrary pricing policy to me (You need more data? Pay us more - it's not our data, and it costs us nothing, but if you're stupid enough we'll charge you more for it).

Whatever. Since you guys review this pointless and useless stuff, I guess you must find uses for it. I wonder if you would do so if you paid for the gear yourselves?

1. Rebajas
      WTF?

Wha?

How did you ever come to the conclusion that it doesn't cost telcos to transfer data across their network?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like