back to article Seagate takes a terabyte of the storage apple

Seagate has announced the industry's first 7200rpm internal-fit 1TB capacity 2.5-inch hard drive, the Constellation 2. The drive is made for server storage applications, including direct-attached, network-attached and SAN storage, and, as expected, has a 6Gbit/s interface, both SATA and SAS, and capacity points of 250GB, 500GB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hm?

I have a 1 TB WD in my MacBook Pro right here. What do you mean?

It's a 12.5 mm height -- a bit much for some bays, but fits fine here. A Z of 15 mm is substantially larger.

Had it in for more than a month now. Cheap, too.

1. Maliciously Crafted Packet

Thanks for the info...

I have just installed the much smaller WD 320GB Scorpio Black in my MBP. Would have gone for a 500GB version if I could have found one with a free fall sensor.

Didn't realise a 12.5mm height drive would fit, it's useful to know that it does.

2. Hombre sin nombre

RPM?

The new part is 7200RPM, yours is most likely a 5400.

3. dylan 4

Server class drive?

But is your 1TB WD a 7200rpm, hardware encrypted, server class drive? Thought not.

4. Lance 3

Yes, but

The Seagate is a 7200RPM and not 5200RPM model. It also has 64MB of cache rather than 8MB. Not to mention SATA and SAS with 6Gbits/s. So, as The Reg said:

"Seagate has announced the industry's first 7200rpm internal-fit 1TB capacity 2.5-inch hard drive, the Constellation 2." The WD is not a 7200RPM model.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Hm>

Is it a 3.5" or a 2.5" disk though?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Hm

2.5". Like I said, fits in a MBP disk bay. I replaced the DVD drive with a SSD+adapter.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You got any laptops with 3.5" drive bays?

thought not...

3. Robert Brandon

Not the 1st?

I've also got a 1 TB WD drive that's 2.5". It could probably fit in my MacBook Pro, but is it not considered "Internal fit"?

3. Matt Piechota

It's a first for 7200RPM. This is aimed more for Enterprise storage, not really a laptop drive. Unfortunate too, since internal encryption should be standard on all laptops.

4. me n u
    Thumb Down

In this case, bigger plain out-and-out sucks

So where the hell is the 1TB 9mm drive!? Netbooks and a lot of notebooks can't handle even the 12.5mm, so the answer is to inrease the height?

5. James Turner

Re:Hm?

The Western Digital drive is presumably a Scorpio Blue, which is a 5400rpm drive. The article is talking about this being the first 7200rpm 2.5" 1TB drive.

6. Eddie Johnson
    Happy

From the Department of Random Guesses

1.4 million hours means a 30 year warranty will be standard right? That's still giving them more than a 5x margin of error.

7. CheesyTheClown
    FAIL

Witty marketting idiots strike again

The three S's refer to "Shit, shower and shave". Has done so for ages.

So, apparently the marketing guys at Seagate are either clueless or consider their small form factor line to be shit.

8. Dave B 1
    Thumb Down

Bets...

Anyone taking bets yet on what the crippling design problem in this line of Seagate drives will be? I'll put a fiver on click death, occuring within six months. Should be easy money on the company's recent form, I reckons.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like