back to article Coder converts Kinect to air guitar

And now the application for which Microsoft's Kinect Xbox add-on was born to run: air guitar. Enterprising coder Chris O'Shea says he'd tried to create an air guitar rig three years ago, but it wasn't until the arrival of Kinect and the wealth of hacking tools that followed its launch that allowed him to create a (kind of) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4

Don't panic folks

Microsoft's legal team will be along to sue him for unauthorised modification of Microsoft products, thus making the world safe again.

1. Martin 76

Get ur facts straight...

Actually microsoft are welcoming this use of the Kinnect. They say it's not hacked, and liking it: http://digitizor.com/2010/11/20/microsoft-says-yes-to-kinect-hacking/

MS bashing as usual hey? They initially didn't like it, but theres some cool things going on with it. Guided Quadrocopter, something very close to minority report, etc.

So Thomas 4 read up first.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh how soon we forget

MS first response was about unauthorised modification, pursuing to the maximum extent of the law, etc. Just what one would expect.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20021836-52.html

When they saw the PR shit-storm coming they suddenly changed their tune and tried to go all luvvy-duvvy. I don't buy it and nor do others. If MS were really happy about all the Kinect mods, where is the source and the technical documentation? Nowhere outside of MS.

I do not believe for one second that MS is happy about this, it won't be too long before they start suing people. They'll wait until some cool ideas surface, then sue of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Re: Oh how soon we forget

Interesting....your CNET link quotes an anonymous supposedly MS spokesman saying...

"With Kinect, Microsoft built in numerous hardware and software safeguards designed to reduce the chances of product tampering.

Yet Kipman et al went on NPR the other day and said that they were very excited by the 3rd party work and had left the Kinect USB 'unprotected by design' to encourage this sort of thing....

So I guess either the CNET article is bollocks, or MS has done the worlds fastest hardware recall and resupply.

2. Thomas 4
        Go

@martin 76

I stand corrected. ^^

As long as they keep along these lines, then it can only be for the greater good of everyone.

2. JDX Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Very cool, but...

... did the video demo have to feature a computer programmer? They couldn't have found anyone less cool at air-guitar!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Very cool, but...

Dude, nobody looks cool playing air guitar:-)

\m/

1. Martin Huizing

erm...

Unless you're Slash...

3. Bunker_Monkey
    Go

@Dont Panic

Noooo, they'll offer him $$$ and offer him a job... questioning themselves why they didint think of it before launch!

4. Parax
    Welcome

stereoscopic 3D vision

already seen a kinect 'eye' being used on an autonomous quadracopter (youtube) to see objects whilst it is flying around. it really is superb tech. (and at a reasonable price to!) I'm really looking forward to seeing more ingenious uses... not just gesture related (air guitar)

I would like to be the first to welcome our kinect eyed autonomous friends.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting there

OOOh that's amost impressive. They're getting there, I'll give them that.

Lets see something that IS impressive and doesn't require two or more Kinects and a heap of Robotics. You know, something that can make it to market.

6. JaitcH
    Gates Halo

Time for a Kinect Apps store?

Since MS missed the boat on Smart phones, perhaps they can make it with KINECT Apps ... until Jobs has time to file his prior art patents.

7. D@v3
    Terminator

only so long before

http://www.virtualshackles.com/-129

8. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Very nice, but...

... it's not complete until you can tune it to "Open E" and play "Smoke on the Water"!

9. The elephant in the room
    Go

By this time next year Rodney

He'll be a millionaire!

10. 4HiMarks
    Megaphone

Air guitar Championships are never going to be the same

He should win easily, no doubt.

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/?fx=event&event_id=38851

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. littlemissdebbie

Take a look at what at what Oliver Kreylos is doing with the Kinect

In a recent article on Innovation Investment Journal (www.iijiij.com) there are some really cool videos of what Oliver Kreylos is doing with the Kinect. http://www.iijiij.com/2010/11/21/who-is-this-guy-06491 - He’s just transformed the Kinect from a hands-free game controller into a holographic camera.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like