back to article SpaceX Dragon bathes in the Pacific

The Dragon has landed. Multi-entrepreneur Elon Musk's SpaceX Dragon capsule, launched Wednesday from Cape Canaveral, Florida, aboard the company's Falcon 9 rocket, splashed down successfuly in the Pacific after completing its two-orbit circumnavigation of Planet Earth. In a subtly understated tweet early Wednesday afternoon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K. Adams
    Pint

Where's the Playmobil?

You suppose our intrepid PARIS pilot hitched a ride?

Either way, good job! (Virtual) Beers all-round for the SpaceXers...

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

Press conference

NASA had an hour-long press conference on NASA-TV ... with no sound at all. Facepalm.

1. James Hughes 1

No help to you but...

I had sound.....

Quite an interesting conference as well - Elon Musk said wuite a lot about the man rated version - the most interesting bit was the cost comparison to Orion - Orion cost so far (with no flight, not including launcher costs) $4.6B, cost of Falcon 9 + Dragon (not yet man rated), $400m or thereabouts. For pretty much the same thing. Iin fact Musk said the Dragon was a more capable craft than Orion (it's heatshield can do Mars reentry for example). It has pretty much the same internal pressurised volume, and more accurate landing capability)

The whole thin g is on YouTube anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Eh? The density of Mars' atmosphere is 1% that of Earth's

a heatshield that can re-enter Earth's atmosphere but not Mars' would be a curious feat...

1. Nick Thompson

Title

That's surviving a reentry coming back *from* Mars. The ship will be travelling a lot faster when it hits the atmosphere than if it was coming out of low earth orbit (or even from the moon).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no sound

Sounds like a codec issue to me (see what I did there?)

Just stick to vlc and it all works fine.

3. IglooDude

Outstanding!

Glad they were fully licensed to do so, I can't imagine the hassle of getting pulled over by traffic cops during re-entry...

4. Radelix
    Pint

Beers

I imagine there a few beers being consumed at their humble HQ in in Hawthorne Ca this afternoon

Cheers to them.

5. Ged T
    Go

NASA-TV - No sound...

... 'cause, in space, no one can hear you...

That lack of care just about exemplifies NASA, these days.

On a positive note, sincere congratulations to SpaceX and the Dragon team. Throttles up, you guys!

1. James Hughes 1

As above..

I had sound, so probably not a problem with Nasa....

Stream did keep pausing, but more likely my connection rather than Nasa TV.

6. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Historical moment

I suspect this could be the start of something big. Hmmmm, are SpaceX shares traded?

GJC

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Geoff Campell

"Hmmmm, are SpaceX shares traded?"

AFAIK it's still a private company. So no faffing about massaging sales figures and stock holder egos. I'm sure they have an IPO plan *somewhere* and topping the PayPal payday would be a very impressive achievement

7. Rick Brasche

is there video of the reentry or splashdown?

I know they didn't stream the reentry or splashdown, but there's gotta be video they took of the event somewhere! I can't wait to see it!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like