back to article Channel Five to air Walking Dead

Channel 5 will be broadcasting the TV incarnation of The Walking Dead comic series next Spring. The six-part show debuted on US television this Autumn and it's proved something of a hit. A second season has already been commissioned Walking Dead From Image comic book to... Developed by Frank 'Shawshank Redemption, The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

coming to the UK?

You make it sound like this hasn't already been shown in the UK, which it has, on FX, was in HD as well.

1. King Jack
      Pint

coming to the UK? FREE on Five.

I think the article is making the point that it's coming to Five. Which is free to air. No subs. So everyone with the good sense not to subscribe to Sky can watch it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I thought they were already showing it

Just it was called Neighbours/Home and away and had a bit less violence :p

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forget walking dead

When are they going to make a TV serial of "Strontium Dogs" from the pages of 2000AD?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Forget walking dead

Never - we can't have Simon Pegg crying again.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It's currently on FX in the UK

shouldn't you at least mention that.... I do feel the series has borrowed lots from 28 day later....

FX is the only reason I bother to keep my Sky subscription.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@It's currently on FX in the UK

Your no alone; if FX moved to Freeview I'd definitely think of saving that £20 month, as FX probably accounts for 70% of the shows I watch (NCIS, Dexter, Burn Notice, Family Guy,...).

Though there are a few other shows that would have to sourced elsewhere, such as Castle (on Alibi), Mythbusters (on Discovery) and few others scattered around a few other channels.

But most of the channels contain programming that is either on 3+ other channels (including some on Freeview) or are just repeats of old stuff from the last 20 years.

I personally object to having to pay a TV license for the BBC, there are only 3 or 4 shows a year that I watch on there, and the BBC "News" is a joke.

As for the original topic; the Walking Dead has been quite good on FX, though there is no avoiding comparisons to “28 Days Later”, Triffids and “I am Legend” (Will Smiths remake of Charlton Heston's “Omega Man” of 1971).

I was thinking the other week walking through London sometime feels like being in the Walking Dead, with all the Zombies fiddling with Iphones and the like and walking into traffic and other pedestrians and stumbling around like drunks all day.

1. I'm Brian and so's my wife
        Grenade

Uuuuuhhhhhrrrrrrrr

> walking through London sometime feels like being in the Walking Dead

Too true! I was in the West End last night, surrounded by the consumer undead and briefly imprisoned while student protesters did their thang.

That said, being a Romero fan and having watched High School of the Dead not that long ago, I now can't help but keep my wits about me whenever I'm out and about. Is it taking it too far to wonder about how one would secure one's property against zombie hoards?

Of course our septic cousins have taken it to the next level. Have a search for "Zombie Squad" in your favourite search engine.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

28 days later copied the intro from Triffids

If you're talking about the "waking up in hospital, shortly after the end of civilisation" intro then a) the creators of 28 Days Later have stated they were inspired by the use of that plot idea in the aforementioned Day of the Triffids and b) the original Walking Dead comic, which also used that plot device, was written before 28 Days Later.

I've not noticed any other obvious similarities beyond the standard genre cliches with one obvious difference being the Walking Dead mostly sticking to the traditional "slow zombie".

3. Alex Walsh

not mentioned

Since 28 Days Later borrowed a lot from Day of the Triffids. Everything is derivative at some level.

5. Pahhh
    Stop

@Forget walking dead #

Not sure about anyone from Hollywood making any 2000AD stories, they make such a mess of them.

Needs to be under some control of the orginal writers to keep the spirit of the stories. Hate it or love it, Harry Potter is true to the books and thats a good thing if you dont like the author or the plot.

If the same level of control could be afforded by the 2000AD writers, then yeah it would be good. 2000AD is a goldmine of good stories and characters. Too many too mention..... although I would like to mention the ABC warriors and Nemesis :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

If only.

A talented film maker + Dan Abnett + Sinister Dexter? The very thought sets my underpants a-tremble.

2. James 132
      Heart

You also need a writer...

...That has the willingness in them to murder their baby; to adapt their work to the very different format that TV requires, and have the skill to do this themselves or work with someone that can. I imagine it's very hard to get right.

6. Rasczak
    FAIL

It's on FX

To the ACs, try reading the subhead

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sky will 'steal' the next series

Sky's standard practice these days is to let someone else purchase the FTA rights to the first series of anything interesting. That way they let someone else take the risk of buying a flop and more people get hooked on the show, then they step in and buy the exclusive rights for the subsequent season. "Want to watch the second series, just buy Sky!"

It's a dirty, dirty trick but about par for Sky. Personally I refuse to be suckered in that way, Sky can go jump. As far as I'm concerned it's easier to just imagine that shows like Chuck have been cancelled.

I refuse to pay for television and then have to suffer adverts as well.

1. corrodedmonkee

Ahh yes

Exactly what they did with 24, from memory...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Go

That and more

24, House, Weeds and Lost to name four that come immediately to mind but there are more examples.

More recently with their purchase of Virgin Media's channels they've done it to Chuck and others too. It was announced that Chuck would be moving from the FTA 'Virgin One' to the pay-only channel Living just days after Sky signed the deal with Virgin. Of course they've since announced that they are also closing Virgin One (Channel One) and replacing it with a channel airing game shows, late night gambling and phone line scams. Clearly they have a high opinion of their viewers.

8. Llyander
    Thumb Up

FX...

To those people going on about it being shown on FX, you really do need to look a little more closely at the part of the article that says "Zombie hit shuffles toward Sky-less tellies".

In other words, those of us on Freeview or "council" telly, who don't get FX.

As for the series itself? Wonderfully done, "Egg" is really brilliant as Rick, though I find their decision to pad out the episodes with events and characters that never showed up in the comic as slightly odd. I mean it's not like they're short of original source material...

Roll on the next series!

1. James 132
      Alert

Other way round, I think

They've removed nearly the entire story of the comics, and have inserted more tv-friendly stuff instead. I like the series - on the whole - but after the finale do wonder where the hell it's going.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Council telly?

Go to the poorest estates and areas of any town or city, the thing which immediately stands out are the hundreds of mini-dishes. Sky isn't considered a luxury by the working class, it's a basic necessity. Meanwhile I know plenty of lower-middle class families who wouldn't dream of spending £20+ a month on Sky, they save every penny they can to send their kids to good schools or simply paying the mortgage.

1. MonkeyBot
        FAIL

Re: Council telly?

Private education costs a hell of a lot more than Sky TV.

If you're living on a council estate, £20 a month of Sky/Virgin can improve your quality of life, but it's nowhere near enough to pay a mortgage or send your kids to private school tutors. Don't let the whole 'thinking' thing get in the way of your enjoymeny of the Daily Mail.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title Schmitle

I watched this but almost fell asleep it's so slow-paced.

As AC says, it's far too much like 28 Days Later, except the hospital and the empty London scenes in 28 Days Later were done so much better than anything The Walking Dead manages.

For fans of the genre it's worth watching but for everyone else, it's 6 hours that should have been condensed into 2.

10. Pete 43

I liked the Shaun of the dead reference

In ep 2 (of was it the other way around?)

11. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good

Now I can continue my policy of not giving money to Murdoch, yet not miss out on much zombie goodness.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Final part tonight I believe

On FX that is. Shame it's that short, although it does mean it sticks to the story (more or less) without any fillers/coma/timeloop episodes :o) Yeah, it's a bit soapy, but it's damn well made.

+1 to FX. I imagine they'll have Boardwalk Empire soon too, it's fantastic *cough* so I've heard from an American friend.

Strontium Dog? They nearly did make a series quite a while ago, but it didn't get very far. New Dredd film next year though, so you never know. As for Mr Pegg (he did the voice of Johnny Alpha in one of the audio adventures, was superb! ), I'm dearly hoping he'll be taking his rightful place as Wee Hughie if The Boys ever makes it to the big screen. Preacher didn't, which was sad, HBO were going to do that too. Maybe even HBO audiences aren't ready for Garth Ennis TV though.

I'll eh, get my HBO/comic geek coat now...

13. AlistairJ
    Welcome

Thank god for that

At least it will stop El Huevos from making those awful sugary voiceovers that pay his mortgage.

14. Lloyd
    Thumb Up

Ooh, that reminds me

I haven't watched the one I downloaded on Monday.

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sky, FX, what???

uTorrent + EZTV + RSS is all it takes. No need to be spending £20 a month. And no need to be waiting months to get premium drama shows from the US.

1. bexley
      Stop

great idea!

...and then the show will get less paying viewers and lower ratings and will get cancelled!

16. James 132
    Thumb Up

It's not bad

To those that are familiar with the books, it's worth watching, but be warned the plot and characters diverge from the source material very quickly. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. There's a couple of weak episodes and character choices, but the direction is good and Andrew Lincoln really carries it along.

It's a first-rate production with very, very good effects. Long wait til the second series, though.

17. MJI Silver badge
    FAIL

Aghh Channel 5

So it will have a stupid irritating disgusting 5 in the corner.

I HATE LOGOS

The optical media companies love them!

1. Richard 116
      FAIL

Don't forget...

...the adverts every ten minutes. And that no doubt it will be sponsored by some shitty insurance company or Korean car manufacturer who will have their own light hearted little mini drama each end of the break. I've just checked and my downloaded eps are 45 minutes long give or take a second or so. A whole 15 minutes of mind-fuckery. Lovely. Thank God for the uploaders.

18. johnnytruant

Uncompromisingly nasty

Some of the best zombie effects I've seen, and on TV too. Surprisingly good on that front. The half-a-girl in the first episode is particularly grim.

Shame the show is so dull though. I lost interest about halfway through. Weird how some shows can take a situation like that and strip out all the tension from it. The will-they-won't-they-make-it should be easy enough to ratchet all the way up and then some, but - after an admittedly strong start - The Walking Dead just shambled around slowly, mindlessly and without direction for a while before falling down to rot somewhere until season two. I'm hoping they can get a bit back on the ball by then.

1. Shingo Tamai

Booooring

Two episodes of action and entertainment and four episodes of pure boredom.

I hope the second season is going to be better than the first one.

19. Jolyon

¯\(º_o)/¯ ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ zombie protest (•̪●) ٩๏̯͡๏۶

What do we want? Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnnnnnssssss!

When do we want it? Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnnnnnssssss!

20. Peter Bond
    Dead Vulture

you don't need Sky

...FX is on Virgin too

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like