back to article Google backs 'Chromoting' remote access for web-bound OS

Google has confirmed that it will offer remote access software with Chrome OS, the browser-based operating system now due for official release in the middle of next year. Code for this service – currently dubbed "Chromoting" – is already part of the company's open source Chromium OS project, and speaking with The Reg on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

All of a sudden...

...ChromeOS became exceptionally useful. I had applied for a ChromeOS netbook, but was really kind of 'meh' on getting one. All of a sudden, I am quite a bit more eager.

Come on, Google! Pick my name out of the hat!

1. M Gale

It has potential.

I've speculated before that a good use for Chrome OS, given the existance of Android already in toyphones and tablets, could be as a smart terminal for business users. You've no worries about data loss if a fondlable device goes missing, and if Google are smart they'll include options for remote wiping anything that is cached locally.

Plus having your home computer on a netbook on the train sounds like fun.

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Spin

Useful? No matter how they try to spin it "Chromoting" is not doing anything that isn't already available out there for free.

Remote access? How many different ways do you need?

Playing music that's on another computer? Anything from a file share upwards will let you do this.

I really can't see how this is anything special at all. It seems they've just taken any number of pre-existing networking techniques and bundled them all under one name.

There's always somebody who'll fall for it though.

1. Doug 3

RE: Spin

so, you say "I really can't see how this is anything special at all. It seems they've just taken any number of pre-existing networking techniques and bundled them all under one name."

did you see the release announcement at all? Did you notice how many times it was mentioned that it was going to be getting automatic updates? And FYI, the fact that these things are part of the system and not add-ons means that people who get these will not have to go out and find and install these bits and pieces. My mom would and could not install Skype and too many of the IT departments I've run into would rather they get things pre-installed or else someone has to work really hard getting approval for the feature-software.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

What??

Since when did windows users need to go out and find, for example file sharing or RDP? And I think you'll find that most other OS come with similar things as standard too.

And as for IT departments I don't think you'll find many corporates installing Chrome OS and most IT departments will switch off all the features they don't like in any OS they don't like.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What a great idea...

...give Google unfettered access to even more computers.

1. SilverWave
      Linux

Well if you had to pick someone out of this "shower of bastards"

I would trust Google the most.

MS? Insane laughter...

Apple? LOL

Facebook... heh

?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

what?

more than MS? yes please.

3. MacroRodent
    Boffin

Wonder what is it underneath

Good old VNC? Or rdesktop? (= well-known open-source client for Windows remote desktop), Or has Google maybe invented yet another variant of this particular wheel?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

It'll be based on NoMachine ...

hence the NeatX project by google.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Partly perhaps...

but since that only supports forwarding X it'll be useless for remote Windows or native MacOS stuff. Even for X it has some holes they'll need to fix before it meets people's expectations, like sound and storage. NoMachine manage that with their server, and FreeNX can be bludgeoned into doing it, so it is at least possible.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems useful

But what about the other end of the link - ie the computer Chrome is linking to? Are Google providing complementary applications for the target OSs? Or does it emulate the front end of existing remote access applications?

5. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Bored Now

It's over a year since the first "Chrome OS release imminent" stories. Now it's slated for realease in the middle of next year. How long does it take to develop an "OS" that is really only another Linux distro. Vapourware?

1. SilverWave
      Go

Depends on a number of factors, its a big undertaking you need the whole think to be seamless.

First impressions are important.

Saying that the 100mb data plan free is a game changer.

Instant startup.

No set-up.

Auto Security.

Remote PC app access....

Looking good.

2. Doug 3

RE: Bored Now

You might try asking ASUS how long it took Microsoft to approach them with the offer they could not refuse. That is about how long it takes to get a product out when you start talking with existing OEMs. Remember that the Taiwanese Manufacturing Association head said they fear Microsoft and then went on to explain how they are not so fearful when the devices are not much like a Windows desktop or Windows laptop.

Just as many PC manufacturer( rebranding ) would talk with AMD only to get better pricing from Intel, the same goes for most of the hardware manufacturers these days. Did you notice that the demo laptop is 100% no-name? None of the vendors wanted to be part of this publicly although Acer and Samsung did stand up. I see Acer backing off but I don't see Samsung doing the same. They are betting big on Android and I get that they'll want to be part of ChromeOS too. They've got lots to gain and little to lose..

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Wow how amazing....

...best get rid of Orb I've had for the last 5 years or so or you mean RDP, standard windows software.

Oh you mean you want to track what files we have and give us adverts based around that. Gotcha.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Suit you sir

Sir wants x2go, doesn't sir? Yes sir, you could have done this years ago.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The verb to chromote?

God help us all! :-)

9. spegru
    Linux

Remote Desktop

Is something that Ubuntu has as standard so not much of a stretch for chrome.

I'm often amazed how impressable some people are with stuff that was available years ago.

Problem is most of 'em have just been too used to bog standard windose

10. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Oooh Goody

"Remember that every few weeks, you'll get a new version," he said. "As and when a new feature is ready, you'll get it."

And every time there's a new bug you'll get that too. And every new tracking feature Google want to include? You'll get that too. Will users have any control over this at all? Doubt it, all the features you don't want will no doubt be included with the critical updates that you do.

11. Mage Silver badge
    Linux

PCoIP

As well as VNC and RDP. Though it needs a good connection for 3D accelerated games :-)

Seriously....

The Penguin is pretending to be happy.

12. M Gale

Re: Oh but remote desktop has been done yeeeears ago!

Yes, if you're a complete geek.

Now how about remote administration for normal people?

If El Goog get it done right it could be useful. For normal people. And about any data mining, if indeed it's built into the OS (as opposed to in whatever web app stack Google give you)? It's open source. So rip that functionality out if it exists, no?

If Apple had made this announcement, it'd be full of fawning praise and you know it. Don't you dare think that Apple and Microsoft aren't profiling their customers too, and you pay heftily per OS license for that privilege with them!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Integration with Google Apps - Enterprise

This whole thing makes me actually excited about providing Google Netbooks that I can control (like Android phones phones and btw I can admin Google Apps from my phone) from the google Apps interface!

I cant wait for the amount of time saved applying policies and the stability and low effort function of administering and supporting the Google ecosystem of, Google Apps, Android and now Chrome OS in my company. My job is seriously going to to get better.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like