back to article Sony sells Playstation-packing TV

All sorts of tech has been integrated into TVs from iPod docks to Blu-ray players, but now Sony has put a Playstation into one and it's available in the UK for under £200. The Sony Bravia KDL-22PX300 is a 22in LCD TV with a built-in PS2, which allows users to play classic games and watch DVDs. Old Playstation titles still play …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Hill

Fantastic...

Make this in a 42" screen size with LED lighting and I'll buy one tomorrow...

With media streaming being the "new DVD", having it built-in to the set makes total sense. The lifespan of major consoles is almost equal to the lifespan of TVs these days, so problems with obsolescence are minimal.

2. Rob Beard
    Thumb Up

Super Famicom TV

There was also a Sharp Super Famicom TV released in the early 90's, I remember it was a big beast (about a 28 inch CRT) with a Super Famicom cartridge slot on the top and some controller ports on the front. Not only was it a heafty TV it also cost a bomb (there was a games shop in Doncaster who had one in, I'm sure it was something like about £300 or so).

I like the idea of this new PS2 TV, although I'd be interested to know if the PS2 is upscaled (and what sort of internal connection it uses, i.e. analogue RGB, component, composite etc) and what the picture quality is like on PS2 games?

Something like this would be ideal for either the kids bedroom or for the wife to use in the main bedroom so she can play her Singstar games (sadly we don't have a sound proof room for her to go in to play her Singstar games) :-).

Rob

3. xperroni
    Pint

Only in Japan

In Japan most successful consoles were eventually built into TV's – e.g. after the C1 NES TV Sharp released the SF-1 SNES TV, with a built-in SNES – but these rarely get released in the West. Perhaps the companies feel they're appealing only to the Japanese, due to the smaller households... Or perhaps they just don't bother to market them outside, the domestic revenues being handsome enough.

Anyway, cheers for making me return to one of my favourite topics, Nintendo memorabilia.

1. LinkOfHyrule

looks weird

I think there was a Panasonic gamecube dvd player too.

Anyway, I actually really like the idea of a PS2 telly - I need both a new telly and was thinking of getting a PS2 too so that I can catch up on some Playstation classics I missed first time round - HOWEVER - that telly is so ugly! The base on that thing just looks weird if you ask me. Shame they didn't design it to be more like one of those DVD/telly combo units.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

there was!

I actually saw one in the flesh once too. The Panasonic Q. all silver and shiny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PanaQ.JPG

..which brings me to the Wii. quite why they still rejected DVD playback as a standard

feature I still dont understand :-(

4. Gold Soundz

On the topic of games console integration

Remember the Amstrad Mega PC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_Mega_PC

A friend had one at the time... it was basically just the components of the Megadrive shoved into a beige enclosure alongside a pretty naff PC. How incredible we thought it was... ahh.

1. Lottie
      Thumb Up

Yep

I remember it. It had a sliding bit on the front didn't it? One side revealed the cart slot and t'other revealed the disk drive.

Imagine if now we could get a PS3 inside an Alienware?

2. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Or howabouts

How about a SEGA Megadrive shoved inside an Amstrad Emailer phone! hahaha!

5. Lottie

Neat idea, but...

... I know that watching lots of DVDs on PS2s can lead to laser problems.

But if they have that sorted, what a cool idea.

Now if they could make a 21 inch CRT with a megadrive in it....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really?

My PS2 has spent more of its life playing DVDs than it has playing games, and still does so without complaint.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Hmm...

My first DVD player was a PS2 that still works today. Of course, there may be some truth in what you say, but I have fortunately not had to go to seek it out.

Shame this TV only includes a PS2.

Oh wait. I forgot... I'm supposed to be boycotting Sony gear since they canned linux on the PS3

Yah Booo @ Sony. Down with that sort of thing etc.

6. mark l 2 Silver badge

larger screen version?

If they did this in a 32 inch or larger screen size i would definetly get one for the lounge. But i can still see this being a nice idea for the kids bedroom. Although the PS2 has been supassed technically with the xbox360 and PS3 there is still a bucket load of great games for it availably really cheaply now

7. Jefe Mixtli

Bezel

I think the bezel needs to be wider.

http://www.reghardware.com/Design/graphics/icons/comment/joke_32.png

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah

And it needs more cowbell.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice enough for the playroom

but I'd like a proper screen size (32" +) and a PS3 in there, complete with PVR functionality.

9. Christian Berger

I guess the reason is...

...that it doesn't make much difference cost-wise for Sony between integrating a DVD-Player and a PS2. But when integrating a PS2 they can charge more money.

10. Alan Brown Silver badge
    FAIL

Freeview HD?

I thought not....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like