back to article Microsoft pumps cash into IBM bete noire

Microsoft has pumped an undisclosed sum into TurboHercules, a French outfit that seeks to undercut IBM's mainframe business. The cash infusion, which happened last week, comes hot on the heels of Microsoft's orchestration of a $450m purchase of 882 patents from Novell as part of Attachmate's acquisition of that software maker …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel

Of course they did.

Weren't they behind this IBM bashing the whole time? Why don't they just come out and say what they want to say directly, rather than hide behind puppets?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Too much time on their hands

I guess when your stock price has been flat for a decade and you refuse to pay a decent dividend to your investors you have to do something to burn all that cash.

1. pay the lawyers, sue everyone, step on copyright and patent holders

2. pay thugs to take harass your enemies

3. pay vendors to ignore your competitors

4. cut employee benefits

5. cut R&D on your 15 year old OS that needs to be replaced

2. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

*Cough* Florian Müller *Cough*

Whats the connection?

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Take the Red Pill, Big Blue........ for Helter Skelter Rides and All the Fun of the Fair

"Soon after incorporating in France, TurboHercules asked IBM France for a meeting to discuss how the modern mainframe OSes - z/OS, z/VSE, and z/VM - might be properly and legally licensed on Hercules. Thus far, IBM has not been interested in the idea. (Obviously.)

Surely Hercules properly and legally licensed on modern mainframe OSes would be a better proposition ...... with the Newbie acting as a Dynamic Driver for Vast Vaults of Stored and Staid Information .... much of which is Depleted MetaData and Toxic Waste.

Hell, that gives a Boost to Both Systems with Both Feeding and Seeding Internal Assets and Most Valued Novel Customers alike.

It would also speed things along and not require hacks and code cracks to get things moving along in the Right AIdDirection with Alternate Instruction in Definite Vision.

4. Kebabbert

IBM attacks Hercules

Read this blog and see what IBM and the IBM site Groklaw does against Hercules:

http://ibmvshercules.com/

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Troll

Kebabbert attacks IBM...

Please, just have some perspective.

Looking at your posting history, one could imagine that an IBMer raped your hamster - or you could be Florian's brother...

1. Kebabbert

@Tim99

I suggest you read my links instead. This site is crawling with IBMers and their FUD. If you read my links, you will see that I am correct.

2. gerryg
      Stop

Oh dear: "IBM Site Groklaw"

Would you care to explain this complete rubbish?

Is it because you are an agent, employee or other representative of SCO? Or other supporters of that litigant?

Are you on a debunked story to justify not being called a dissembler and a troll?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/linux/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198100504

debunked here

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2007/04/sco-accuses-ibm-of-colluding-with-groklaw-in-new-filing.ars

http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198500094

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070321144218656

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not exactly SCO, more like SCOracle

He's not an agent of SCO, but the company who paid SCO. Not Microsoft, the other one. Sun Microsystems. So he now works for SCOracle. And IBM is competitor, so anybody who hates IBM (ie, Microsoft, TurboHercules) enemy of his enemy therefore firends, and everybody who expose lies of his friends is paid by IBM. Oh, and especially those Free Software commies, those are all paid by IBM to screw SCOracle.

2. Kebabbert

@gerryg

"...Would you care to explain this complete rubbish?..." What rubbish? Do you have problems understanding text? Lack of reading understanding? Unsuccessful at school?

I do not talk about IBM funding Groklaw or whatever. I know about those links you posted, but I dont think that is evidence that Groklaw is an IBM site. Those allegations and accusationers are just bull shit from SCO. SCO is bull shitting seriously, as usual. I dont talk about that.

I am talking about Groklaw censores IBM critical posts. Groklaw shows a clear IBM bias by censoring posts that are critical to IBM:

http://ibmvshercules.com/

Worst of all, if you post an IBM critical post at Groklaw, you will think it has been successfully posted so everyone can read your point of view of the IBM matter. But, in reality, it turns out that your post is deleted for everyone - except you! Only you can read your critical text, but everyone else can not see it.

Now THAT is what I call sneaky. But hey, why would you all here, care about IBM being sneaky? You are spewing out IBM FUD all the time:

"SPARC is dead" - SPARC is not dead and Fujitsu has always explained that development is proceeding well. Now the new SPARC is announced, just as I said.

"We have migrated from SPARC to POWER7 and they are so fast" - when POWER7 was not even available for sale.

etc. I have many examples of FUD from you IBMers. And also I have examples of clear lies from IBM, and FUD. I can post and quote them here, if you want to see. For instance, even when Oracle had the TPC-C world record, IBM claimed they still had the record because their cores was faster. That is a clear lie.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Go

Slightly modified ELISA = Kebbabert ?

Must be. The Kebbert program keeps saying the same things over and over and over and over again. Just like Elisa.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Desktop OS and office software

IBM should be competing with MS in the desktop OS and office software market. I know they've tried that before but the market has changed and I think many companies and people would like to get off the MS treadmill. IBM have so many options in that area and if done right could be an earner for them and not just a poke in MSs eye.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Love it

MS comes to the rescue of IBM's anti open source patent willy waving :)

Pinch me someone, i'm not sure if this is a dream or a nightmare!

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Stop

@ Kebabbert

As a certain tennis player would say:

'You cannot be serious'

Groklaw is one of the very few websites that provides copious references for anything it states as fact. Any opinions it puts forward are clearly identified as such.

Turbo Hercules is NOT the open-source Hercules but is a cheapskate outfit trying climb on the back of FOSS to rip off IBM.

As far as Microsoft is concerned TH is simply cannon fodder fully expected to go to the wall, but to last just long enough to make trouble for IBM.

8. nyelvmark
    Headmaster

It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht...

"Bill Miller" doesn't sound like a Scots name, but his his repeated use of "no" for "not" suggests either that he is, or that there's a glitch in El Reg's proof-reading regime. I suspect the latter, as I've noticed the same oddity in another Reg article or two.

9. Goat Jam
    Gates Horns

Danger Will Robinson!

"Hercules mainframe hardware emulator, which allows IBM's mainframe operating systems and their applications to run on x64 servers sporting Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, in September 2009"

If I were running Hercules on say, a non M$ OS I would be very, very afraid.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like