back to article Europe opens full probe into Google

The European Commission has opened a formal probe into allegations that Google has abused its dominant position in online search by illegally favouring its own services. Formal proceedings follow complaints from search providers that Google's sponsored and unpaid search results showed preference to Google's own services. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See no evil?

Charges were later dropped after prosecutors couldn't find any evidence by googling "google is evil".

2. Andy Fletcher

Don't get it

I don't believe Foundem have a "right" to appear at any particular position in Google's search results, so I guess I'm on Google's side whether that feels good or not (it doesn't). I also don't believe any Euro court will have the gumption to understand the issue either.

1. bobbles31

they don't....

but they do have a right not to have their position lowered because they are in a business that the search engine are also breaking into. That is an abuse of a monopoly by Google, not a breach of the companies right to appear at the top or the bottom of the listings.

2. sabroni Silver badge

It's not about "rights"

It's about Google abusing their market dominance in search to promote their other services above their competitors. Much like Microsoft abused their desktop dominance to make IE the most used browser Google can abuse their control of search to promote their services.

If you have a good internet product and Google decide to launch a competing one are you just going to give up? How will you compete if you're suddenly relegated to page 2 of a google search for "your product" and Google's offering is at the top of page 1?

(And you don't need gumption to understand something....)

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

SNAFU here. Move along SMARTly please. The Beasts with Knowledge just Love Probing Attention

"The European Commission has opened a formal probe into allegations that Google has abused its dominant position in online search by illegally favouring its own services.

Formal proceedings follow complaints from search providers that Google's sponsored and unpaid search results showed preference to Google's own services." ..... Err, excuse me but, is that not what RSS Feeds and Search Engine like Google's Virtual Money Machine are designed to do for you ...... Generate Leading Trails. ....... or Follow them into Virgin Fields where the Virtual Machinery and Central Processing Units have a Primed Consciousness and Basic Rudimentary Immaculate Conscience.

Although that may be way above European Commission pay grades, and thus Beautifully Free from the Meddling of the Middle in Esteemed and Exhalting Matters.

The European Commission may discover that US National Security Interests, requiring National Security Letters reinforcement, will render critical investigation fruitless and counter-productive.

4. Lewis Mettler 1
    Stop

uncommingle IE first

Microsoft is in no position to suggest anyone else be investigated for antitrust.

First, Microsoft should at least cease illegal acts it is committing. In antitrust to be sure.

Uncommingle IE first. Unbundle IE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Unbundle Windows first

People still get the run-around from vendors about how "this product needs Windows" when (1) the product in question could quite easily run a completely different operating system, and (2) the purchaser might already have Windows and doesn't need another copy of the software.

The IE bundling case is just a distraction from the illegal tying of Windows to hardware products. Unbundle Windows!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Do know evil

Microsoft is more entitled than most to suggest others be investigated for antitrust. I'd bet you'd be seething if you saw other people getting away with something you'd been hauled up for.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get it either

You search through Google and the Google search favours Google results? Of course they will, isn't this stating the bleedin' obvious? I'd expect Bing searches to favour Microsoft products. Drive the internet, don't let the internet drive you, are we taking too much for granted and accepting the first thing that pops up in front of our eyes now?

If you go to a shop and ask for advice on a new TV the salesman will favour the TVs sold in their shop. You don't expect the bloke in Currys to tell you there's a much better deal on at the local Sony Centre, and especially put it at the front of the things he has to say for the sake of fairness and impartiality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bing or Currys is not in a monopoly position...

... whereas Google most likely is. If Google is found to be an effective monopoly in the online search and ad serving business, and if it is doing what it is accused of doing, then it is an anti-trust abuse and they will be forced to change their business practice to help increase competition. What is permissible for a lesser business - because it will always have little to no real-world impact on competitors - is not permissible for a monopoly business, where it very much will.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Harry

'are we taking too much for granted and accepting the first thing that pops up in front of our eyes now?'

Yes, some people are. I recently had to oversee a 16 year old lads work experience placement (Bosses idea, I said I didn't want the pain in the arse). I asked gave him the symptoms of a problem that we were having with an HP printer and asked him to find the support document that would tell him how to fix it. It wasn't a difficult problem and I already knew how to do it, but I wanted to see if he could research a problem.

I watched him as he went to google, put in his keywords and then look at the results page. He saw the first result, turned to me and said 'it doesn't tell you how to fix it'. I kid you not, that is exactly what he said. I scrolled down the page for him and the answer was about result 6 on the page.

7. Chris Young
    Happy

Can't think of one

Sounds like a basket of sour grapefruits to me ...

8. JaitcH
    FAIL

"complaints from Microsoft, ... Foundem and French search site ejustice.fr"

The complainants say all there is to know about the case: two damn American outfits who couldn't make the complaint stick in the U.S. and a Frog outfit who has cultural differences with the predominance of what is, in reality, a pretty good search facility ... for the price - free.

Pay for it and they might have a case.

9. Tempest
    Alert

Just the same old business ploy

Complaints to regulators take resources and become a distraction to a corporation, even one as big as Google.

The complaint should be treated with the contempt it deserves and the public's money spent elsewhere.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like