back to article Google extends security sandbox to Adobe Flash

Google has released a test version of its Chrome browser that extends its renowned security sandbox to Adobe's heavily abused Flash player. The enhanced security feature, which was released on the Chrome developer and canary channels, is available only for XP, Vista and 7 versions of Microsoft Windows. It will likely be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weren't they talking about...

Sandboxing Reader in Chrome too?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

No no no! "attackers turn their attention to other programs"

"Adobe's goal behind the feature is to make it significantly harder to pierce the apps so that attackers turn their attention to other programs."

The "turn their attention to other programs" bit worries me.

I like it better when the hackers have easy targets that are known and highly-focused: Adobe (Flash and Reader), and Internet Explorer of course. It makes it easier for me to know what to avoid (e.g., I have never allowed Flash and never will).

If hackers had to work harder and focus on other less-easy targets, we simple users would have more to worry about.

Yeah yeah I know, "security by obscurity" doesn't always work as well as expected, but when combined with other general-purpose computer-security measures (such as not running as admin/root, only enabling scripting when absolutely necessary, etc.), it's arguably better than nothing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like