back to article Feds pursue Russian, 23, behind ⅓ of ALL WORLD SPAM

FBI investigators have named a 23-year-old Russian as a prime suspect behind the operation of the infamous 500,000 Mega-D botnet, blamed for an estimated one in three spam emails prior to a take-down operation early last year. Oleg Nikolaenko, a 23-year-old Moscow resident, was accused of violating US anti-spam and fraud laws …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

SHOUTING

Why has THE Reg suddenly TAKEN to shouting? Three HEADLINES in the last HALF hour INEXPLICABLY full of RANDOM CAPITAL letters. I was just having a quiet snooze...

1. Z 1
      Grenade

I with you there

I was about to post that. What's going on? Is El Reg angling for some kind of tabloid award or have you decided to venture into the realms of sensationalism?

1. Allicorn
        Coat

<aol>Me too!</aol>

Same thought here. I can deal with the occasional silly tabloid-ish pun headline, but a decision to deploy strings of capitals into headlines on any kind of regular basis will leave me thinking, "WTF Reg? I thought you were geeks! Geeks!"

2. Mike Flugennock
      Megaphone

I suspect El Reg is just BEING SARCASTIC...

...using SHOUTY HEADLINES as a way of mocking SHOUTY TABLOIDS like the New York Post and the Super Sensationalistic Soaraway Sun.

You'll notice they only use the all-caps headlines in stories which LEND THEMSELVES TO SENSATIONALIZING.

Sorry about the shouting.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: I suspect El Reg is just BEING SARCASTIC...

WELL SPOTTED. YOU GET CAKE.

2. Finbarr Saunders

HEADLINES

WHY HAS EL REG STARTED PUTTING LARGE PROPORTIONS OF THEIR HEADLINES IN CAPITAL LETTERS? IT IS HURTING MY FRAGILE MIND , DAMMIT :-S

Re: HEADLINES

They're kind of our comment on TABLOID SHOCK HEADLINES, see. It's alright once you get used to it.

1. James Hughes 1

@Sarah

No it isn't.

Re: @Sarah

Well, you can't please all the people all the time. And why would you want to when it's so much fun to slightly upset many of the people much of the time?

1. Z 1
            Troll

I thing we're being trolled

Damnit!

2. Mike Flugennock
        Thumb Up

THANK YOU... uh, sorry; Thank you, Sarah

See my previous comment re: the NY Post and The Sun.

The Drudge Report is notorious for this, too. Whenever NASA reports an NEO (Near-Earth Object) may pass within as much as five million miles of Earth, Drudge runs a big shouty headline at the top of the page, reading something like OH MY GOD, IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US with that stupid-assed animated spinning police light gif over it.

Speaking of which, Reg... that might be an even more effective way of being sarcastic about easily-sensationalized stories; along with the mocking shouty headline, you could use that stupid animated spinning police light from the Drudge Report. I've nabbed a copy to use on my blog for just such an occasion; I can email a copy to you if you want.

2. Elmer Phud
      Megaphone

could be worsererer

AT! LEAST! IT'S! NOT! A YAHOO! STORY! AS! WELL!

HOW'S! YER! HEAD! NOW! ?!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assasination?

Since he is costing the world and his dogs billions of pounds, surely a quick Mossad job on him should do the trick? You know, the magnetic bomb attached to the side of a car from a passing motorbike sort of job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

re. Assasination

Should we get them to off Gary McKinnon while we're at it? The Feds want him too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 2

"Should we get them to off Gary McKinnon while we're at it? The Feds want him too."

The difference is that only the Feds want McKinnon, whereas most of the internet using world wants rid of this arsewipe. There is also the questions of impact - McKinnon caused a few hundred K $ worth of damage (which I don't believe), whereas this guy caused billions.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Assassination?

I think you'll find that method is (c) to the Iranian security services. It's the one they go for when someone's been a shade off-message recently* and it's decided that having another martyr on the books rather than a loose cannon on the deck is the preferred option.

Probably helps in that decision that most people think it's Mossad or the CIA behind it.....

*e.g. Daring to suggest that chucking nukes at Yank assets would be a suicidally stupid move.

3. DannyAston
      Thumb Down

AC

It would have to be AC with a silly comment like that...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I got the motorbike

If you've got the bomb. These guys are right up there in the need to be booted from the gene pool.

5. Juan Inamillion
    Black Helicopters

Hang on a minute

In "From Russia With Love" James Bond has a altercation with the lethal, cobbler-enhanced shoe of one Rosa Krebs. Narrowly avoiding an early demise Bond pins his assailant to the wall with a strategically placed chair.

I note in the article "Security blogger and ex Washington Post reporter Brian Krebs...."

Are they by chance related?

/ black 'copter for obvious reasons.

6. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Almost innocent

I have to say that if your infrastructure permits a single 23-year-old living thousands of miles away to waste 1/3 of your bandwidth and cost squillions to all and sundry in lost time and the occasional scam...

...then the 23-year-old isn't the problem. He's just the most obvious symptom.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

What I want for Christmas

I await the day when ISPs and online providers (Yahoo, google, etc) give us (the individual users) the ability to use IP blocking.

ie: I don't want to see any webcontent, or receive any email from Russia or Brazil for example.

If enough people voted with their feet this way, Russia might rethink harboring cybercriminals.

And this method wpuld still protect net neutrality - it isn't censorship by the providers - it is based on the individual will of individual internet users.

(IP blocking of botnets would get a bit more complex than simply blocking major IP blocks, but could be driven by dynamic blacklists)

2. Charles Manning

Take an asprin

It is unfortunately often easier to convince people to mask the symptom than address the disease.

7. Elmer Phud
    Headmaster

Mind your language

"a 23-year-old Russian as a prime suspect behind the operation of the infamous 500,000 Mega-D botnet, blamed for an estimated one in three spam emails prior to a take-down operation early last year"

Ah, that must mean he was sending out spam while still in nappies -- well, it would account for the spam I got years back when it were just 'ladies wishing to make your aquaintance' and knob-pills.

1. ArmanX
      Headmaster

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

Say, for example,. all the spam houses together send 1 million emails a year for five years, but then along comes a new guy and sends 3 million in one year. That means that in six years, "everyone else" sent a total of 6 million emails, while the newcomer sent 3 million, for a total of 9 million. Over a period of six years, the new guy sent 1/3 of the total spam.

Of course, my example is vastly simplified, and I don't have any handy data to prove that case is the reality, but it nonetheless proves it a possibility.

8. Trainee grumpy old ****
    Black Helicopters

USA down to 18th place

Must try harder. Have to avoid relegation at all costs

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like