back to article TomTom Go Live 1005 satnav

TomTom's Go Live 1000 series of high-end PNDs debuted in September in 4.3in form but the recently arrived 1005 model is the first TomTom to break the 5in barrier. In common with the lesser 1000 series models, the 1005 also has a capacitive touchscreen – Fluid Touch in TomTom speak – redesigned map and UI graphics, a revised menu …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

System still reboots?

So - my TomTom 700 and 900 series both had, and have, problems with stability.

Locking up, resetting are the norm.

And now the newest, shiniest, device shows the same issue? Wow.

I'll stick with my CoPilot on my iPhone I think.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mapping?

The satnav companies do seem to spend a lot developing their devices, but not enough on the mapping. UK sat nav mapping still seems to leave a lot to be desired. Once you get away from population centres and major roads they still have a habit of trying to send you down roads that aren't actually rights of way. And yes a new TomTom tried to do that to a friend near my house recently.

Relying on users to point out mapping errors is a bit rich. And blaming the mapping companies won't wash either, users buy their device and maps from the sat nav companies not the mapping companies. There is no contract between the user and the mapping company.

3. melt
    Thumb Down

Date? Time?

Have they managed to get these units to set their time and date automatically yet? This was always a problem with the previous units.

I understand how hard it can be for the coders to find a source for the date and time, given that the units are receiving data from several clocks simultaneously and occasionally have a data connection.

Daylight savings changes sorted? How about timezones - it's not like the use tells the unit what mapset they want to use, or that the units have any way of knowing where they are on the Earth's surface.

Joshing aside, the first few generations of Tomtom were great - head and shoulders above the rest. As the line's worn on i've been less and less impressed.

For example, my most recent unit when calculating a route from Gloucester to Leeds took a minute or so to bring up an initial route. It then took over TWENTY MINUTES to process the HD Traffic info and re-route. By which time I was already halfway up the Fosse, so to speak. Downgrading my unit to the previous major release of the OS helped somewhat, but you shouldn't expect an end-user to have to consider that.

Tomtom were great five years ago and their UI is gorgeous but their development decisions have left me looking for something better considered and supported.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder

If it will suffer the same "reboot" issue the x40/x50 range seems to suffer - switch on, locks on - when it manages connection to live services reboots (can be 5 or 6 six times) - not too much an issue going to work unless of course hoping to get idea of traffic ahead!- but would be a real pita if it happens somewhere you don't know

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Duuuhhhh

pnd = portable navigation device, poor navigation device, pretty near development? After taking so much space expanding other useless acronyms you could at least tell us.....

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I liked the old ones

I still have my TomTom One V2 and it still works great, I've seen people with the newer devices fail so often (especially the Start, I thought their stuff would get better over the years not worse.

7. Matthew Malthouse

Improved by how much

I've had a XL One Europe for some years and I'm not seeing anything here that is an incentive to "upgrade" especially at that price.

The XL has successfully navigated me to Palermo and around obscure parts of Sicily, Siena and Venice, Barcelona and various trips around France. Would this model actually do any better at its basic task?

8. Ehrine

Multi-touch and time

I recently got a live 1000 and that does have multi-touch (pinch zooming etc). I can't see the next model up dropped that feature. It does also set the time itself (not hard when you have a built-in mobile data connection).

Normally it seems to take about 2-3 minutes to acquire the full set of traffic info and reroute (if needed) after turning it on. The main place it shows it's "faster routing" is less when first planning a journey and more when working out a new route (due to you going the wrong way or the traffic changing) when it seems to be very quick (almost immediate).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like