back to article Oracle erects mystery Sparc SuperCluster

It looks like Oracle chief executive officer Larry Ellison is getting ready to whip out his hardware again and measure it up against wares from IBM and Hewlett-Packard. While the United States was getting ready to stuff tens of millions of turkeys last week, Oracle put out a teaser saying that on December 2 it would announce …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oracle making a SPARC announcement!

1) Oracle are making a SPARC supercomputer announcement.

2) I beat the Oracle is evil and are killing everything that Sun did trolls.

Flame on my fellow Sun alumni.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

.....and SPARC is DEAD

Yes what an exciting day this will be. We will see the T3 chip which is nothing more than two T2 chips in a socket on display by a company that sells all its software based on the number of cores.

And what poor performance each of those 16 cores per chip provide. OK OK I know you are thinking "but Oracle just lowered the core factor to .25 for the T3", yes but 16*.25=4 so a four socket T3 box will be 16 license * $47K = $752K * 60% discount is $300K in software just for the database. I am still waiting for a free T3 box with every new 8 licenses. If you want to put non-oracle software on the box expect to get ridiculed by the board of directors on how stupid you are.

SPARC64 VII+ I wonder if they will finally admit that its the last chip and the m-class systems on the roadmap are actually T chip based. Talk about deception. And yes the SPARC64 chips are .75 factor...sorry Fujitsu we don't care that your chips are old, slow, 65nm and still DDR2 memory. The box will have spiderwebs on it before it even ships.

Question of the day....what business is Oracle in?

If you said database you are wrong, they make more money in maintenance than all other products combined.

The tiny firm Oracle hates at Fortune => Rimini Street

Paula Turd - CEO of the President

1. Kebabbert

Hey, Coward

"...And what poor performance each of those 16 cores per chip provide..."

I hope you realise that it doesnt matter how slow one core is. If a CPU has 100s of slow cores - then it will be fast. You dont get it? Geez. Go to school again, and stay there.

FYI, those slow Oracle T3 cpus have several world records, if you didnt know. They are not slow, they are fastest in the world. In other words, this is just plain FUD from you when you imply them to be slow.

Probably you are an IBMer, they are famous for spewing out false statements and FUD.

1. Jesper Frimann
          Pint

What records ?

Care to enlighten us ?

And show some comparisons to other platforms ?

// Jesper

1. Allison Park
            Happy

T3 does have a world record

The most cores required for any given workload of a current box.

Nehalem eats its lunch and it can't even do the workloads p7 does.

The Fujitsu session at Oracle world was a ZERO content joke. It was interesting that they used the Sun SPARC system manager to show the roadmap and avoided questions because someone might as if the future M-class systems are actually CMT processors.

Soooo glad we put a stop to new Sun hardware years ago.

1. Kebabbert

FUDer Allison Park

No, you are just FUDing again. Niagara T3 beats POWER7 in some benchmarks. See here

http://blogs.sun.com/BestPerf/entry/sparc_t3_4_sets_world

I find it funny that a 1.4GHz Niagara T2 cpu can beat a 4.7GHz POWER6 cpu. POWER6 must be really inefficient.

1. Jesper Frimann
                Troll

Same old....

Again nothing new from the Kebab front. Same old dressing same old meat and same old wrapping.

Bla bla bla LINK to SUN/Oracle marketing blogs Bla bla bla POWER6 bla bla bla.

Not that the Oracle Enterprise2010 benchmark isn't a really well executed benchmark, which hands down beat the POWER7 submission. But IMHO that has more to do with the poorly executed benchmark by the IBM submission rather than what the hardware is actually capable off. But that is just my oppinion.

// Jesper

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sun beats IBM by 3X......too bad they needed 9X the servers

ouch....talk about Larry having a hard on for publishing the top number reguardless of money or effort. Just imagine the price of all those cores if Oracle did not drop the price by 66%.

And the SPARC64 announce was pretty impressive for being the last SPARC chip from Fujitsu and 65nm/DDR2/12MBcachne/4core old/old/lame/old

lipstick on a pig

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

The funny thing...

...is that to get the speed, the super cluster actually runs Sybase, via a copy that Oracle 'acquired' from SAP as part of their recent low key technology sharing programme.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

One Small Step for a Man .... into Quantum Leaping

A New Sparc Solaris Sunrise SuperCluster ..... with Cloud Bursting Performance Levels, Mr Ellison?

Control the Word Control IT Worlds is a Simple Concept Complicated with Technology for Presentation in a Media Production of Evolving Reality.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Black Helicopters

"No matter what the iron is..."

It'll be interesting to see if whatever they show is also touted as supported running on IBM Power kit.

Somewhere there's going to be some backscratching over the Java / Harmony volte face. It might just be here.

5. David Halko
    Thumb Down

@Anonymous Coward: .....and SPARC is alive and topping all the performance benchmarks

Nope. SPARC is alive and well.

Coward posts, "We will see the T3 chip which is nothing more than two T2 chips in a socket..."

Nope. T3 has faster threads.

Coward posts, "a company that sells all its software based on the number of cores"

Nope. You can get socket pricing on various products.

Coward posts, "I wonder if they will finally admit that its the last chip and the m-class systems..."

How many times have we heard this? Not a credible assumption. Every platform has an end of life, but too early to say what that time is now.

Coward posts, "If you want to put non-oracle software on the box expect to get ridiculed by the board of directors"

Not likely with a smart Board of Directors. More software runs under SPARC Solaris than any other RISC processor. Solaris run everything faster with Read Optimized Flash, Write Optimized Flash, ZFS, Infiniband interconnects, 10 Gig Ethernet on the CPU chip, 16 embedded crypto engines, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@halko

Coward posts, "We will see the T3 chip which is nothing more than two T2 chips in a socket..."

Halko: "Nope. T3 has faster threads."

Big pile of T2-servers: 2489 tpmc per thread

Humongous pile of T3-servers: 2188 tpmc per thread.

By comparison, Power7-server:37500 tpmc per thread.

But no worries. If a customer is absolutely certain that his workload now or ever in the future won't require high single-thread performance, he may well commit himself to a lock-in solution from Oracle.

Halko wrote: "Solaris run everything faster with Read Optimized Flash, Write Optimized Flash, ZFS..."

Yeah, ZFS. This truly "game changing" piece of software, the best filesystem in the universe. It will outperform everything on this planet. I choose to trust you on this. Just one little question before I convert my whole IT-stack to Solaris and ZFS:

Why is not ZFS used in any of Oracles TPC-C benchmarks?

6. David Halko
    Happy

Sun beats IBM by 3X...... funny if POWER could scale as fast, it would cost more than SPARC

Bummer that proprietary IBM POWER has a higher price/performance ratio and only scales to 1/3'rd of the performance on the high end when compared to Oracle/Sun SPARC.

http://tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp?print=true&resulttype=&version=5%&currencyID=0

IBM's DB2 could not scale without custom application software for it's former world record. I am sure IBM will figure out how to get past the performance issues with POWER and DB2 using some odd application customization by professional services and using a few cylinders of a room full of disk drives - even if the result will stand for a few more months against an out-of-the-box solution from Oracle where they just wire some more nodes.

Nice to see another M processor compatible with the same architecture and still giving performance benefits to businesses! Is IBM plugging POWER7 chips into POWER5 boxes or are businesses forced to fill a landfills across the world?

Businesses wish they could get the life expectancy out of competing hardware to SPARC. Good to see SPARC64 VI, VII, and VII+ all sharing the same chassis!

Right now, it is nice to see the competition in the market. Sun equipment has always been the underdog, but they have always forced the industry to advance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like