back to article Monster iPad Case Test: Folios

According to manufacturers, folios are the most popular iPad cases in Europe. With their book-like looks, the ability of many of them to double-up a stands and the extra drop protection they offer - all that extra padding at the corners - it's not hard to see why. Apple iPad Case Apple's offering has cover that folds back to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dermots

Not a hole for a non-existent camera

The hole in the top centre of some screen surrounds is for the ambient light sensor, not (necessarily) for a future camera. The cases that block this light sensor make the iPad very difficult to use as there is no manual brightness control. I bought one such case and had to manufacture a hole over the light sensor position.

1. Wibble
      Boffin

Brightness control - iOS4.2

There's now a brightness control built into iOS 4.2: double-click the home button and scroll right to reveal the iTunes controls, volume and brightness.

2. Steven Gray
      Headmaster

brightness control

The iPad has always had a brightness control, under Settings>Brightness & Wallpaper. iOS 4.2 just places a copy on the multitasking bar.

1. dermots

Point taken, but...

Point taken about the manual brightness control, but the auto brightness definitely uses the ambient light sensor at the top centre of the screen surround, hence the hole in some covers at around this point.

More often, cover are far thinner around the edge and simply do not obscure the sensor at all.

2. Wibble

Corner and edge protection

One of the main reasons to put the 'pad in a case is to protect it when the inevitable drop happens. A lot of these cases don't protect the corners or edges of the 'pad.

One of the benefits of the Apple case, which I still haven't replaced, is that it does the job of protecting the pad exceedingly well. It's also extremely convenient being thin, relatively unobtrusive and the little stand, whilst primitive, works very well.

What's worrying is that despite the iPad being out for 6 months plus, none of the folio case makers have really bettered the Apple case in terms of core functionality. Aesthetics maybe, but functionally not.

3. eclairz
    Paris Hilton

Tuff-Luv's Bi-Axis?

How come the Tuff-Luv's Bi-Axis isn't there?

I use it daily, works as a stand in portrait and landscape modes and mine has nice green leather material

http://www.i-nique.com/detail.asp/cn=6/c=511/sku=5055205274171

4. David Lucke

Tuff-luv case

That does look rather awesome, actually. When I get one (waiting for the next ipad) that'll probably be the case for it. I have to say, I wouldn't get it in that colour though. Anyone else following the links, be sure to view the demo vid, which gives a good explanation of how it works, and also demonstrates a more sober black leather version - you don't have to have bright green...

5. Am

The Twelve South case

You can synch with the case on if you're only using a cable, and not a dock - the zip flattens just enough, and the bottom corners are far enough from it for the cable to fit without any problems

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Now...

I know you can't review EVERY folio, but why miss out the Incipio Kickstand? To me, it's one of the front runners - it can be used as a stand, it's got good protection and doesn't block any ports (some of these do) it looks, well, alright, and it's cheap.

Have I picked up a lemon and not noticed?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like