back to article Monarchist marks fall for faux royal wedding ticket site

A benign social engineering experiment has proved how easy it would be to make thousands out of gullible monarchists anxious for a chance to attend next April's royal wedding. A hoax website selling "Golden Tickets" to the social event of the millennium attracted more than 160 visitors - all willing to pay £250 a head for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

interesting

Guess I will be making a new website this weekend! Sooo many stupid people lol

2. DT
    Grenade

a==b

In the past when royals professed to have been ordained by God; gullible was roughly synonymous with being royalist.

It's like saying that supporters of the Jom-ill dynasty of N.Korea are a little bit suggestible.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. The Cube
    FAIL

They should have taken the money

And donated it to a charity, perhaps Shelter as an ironic statement that the royals have so many homes that they don't use.

5. There's a bee in my bot net

And this is why...

the internet is being regulated. Not because of the nasty people running scams, but due to the idiots that are now merrily skipping through the internet as though it was happy land... won't someone think of the children!

1. Graham Marsden
      Badgers

ITYM...

... because of the *other* idiots who think that, by regulating the internet, they'll be able to protect the first lot of idiots who are gullible enough to fall for this scam!

6. Matt Devney

typo

free online website building package *top* set up a spoof site

7. Paul 172
    FAIL

1 6 0 visitors ?

That's rubbish...

1. Jess--

160 visitors...

willing to pay £250.

I would think that 160 paying customers in less than 12 hours would be good going for any brand new e-commerce site, let alone a scam site.

I would be over the moon if I could net £33,000 within 12 hours

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

160 visitors

It would certainly be the winning team on The Apprentice.

Actually, perhaps they'll try that idea next season. The task is roughly the right length, timewise, and it ticks the box for public service broadcasting, too. (Well, as long as they give the money back.)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

what's the problem?

Scam artists greedily filling their already bulging pockets with piles of loot obtained from the gullible British public.

But enough about the royal family....

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

Wait a minute there

So the Sun reports on this scam and not only does it totally fail to check its legitimacy but it one-ups the scam site by adding a fake golden ticket ?

Well if I ever read the Sun I'd be swearing that I wouldn't any more.

1. Nick Thompson

Title

Re read the article. The sun aren't reporting on the scam but a genuine golden ticket system that the people setting up the scam were (apparently) not aware of.

10. Daniel Evans

Netted up to £33,000?

250 x 160 = £40,000, and they claimed "more than 160"?

Must be some expensive advertising.

This topic is closed for new posts.