back to article Pure Twilight DAB/FM radio and dawn simulator

Here in Blighty we’re rather proud of our broadcasting heritage, the BBC was the first to offer national radio after all, and remains the world's largest public service broadcaster too. Yet, while the US managed colour TV in the 1950s, the UK had to wait until 1960s. Half a century on, DAB radio pioneer Pure is keen to ensure we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

"Babbling brook" preset (as pictured)

Isn't that just standard DAB reception on a portable aerial?

2. Bassey

Sunrise

We've had one of those lamps that fades down at night and fades up in the morning for about 5-6 years now. The wife is terrible in the morning, takes ages to wake up, get going and become functional so we thought this might help. Complete waste of time. Made no difference at all.

However, it made a brilliant lamp for night-feeding our two kids when they were babies. You could set a nice, soft, gentle light. Enough to feed them by without being so harsh as to properly wake them up.

3. melt
    Unhappy

argh

It looks like the Stig is hiding behind your bedside table, waiting for you to go to sleep.

Not very comforting.

4. mamsey
    Unhappy

Lack of tinternet radio :(

This would be a definite buy if it had tinternet radio, as I need to replce my Philips dusk/dawn light, such a shame, it's not as if it is beyond Pures capabilities. Oh well maybe next Christmas.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

'Alarm' light is a good idea

..especially in the winter when one might need to arise hours before the sun. I personally am utterly useless at getting up in the morning, and have (seriously) fitted a 150w floodlight (like people have in their gardens) on a timer in my bedroom. It does actually help.. a bit :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

now...

...thats something like a super nova simulator...

6. Anonymous John

I already get daylight in the morning.

From the sun.

1. Cameron Colley

@Anonymous John

Bully for you with your late-starting job or home near the equator. Some of us have jobs we have to get up early for and live in latitudes which mean that the early morning is dark. Apparently it has even been postulated that places exist where daylight only shines for a few hours each day -- but ,personally, I don't believe any such preposterous places actually exist.

7. Arbuthnot Darjeeling
    Unhappy

dawn simulator?

Round our way, we call it a light.

£150 for a clock radio alarm with a light and added bullshit.

Seems a bargain

8. peter_dtm
    Grenade

DAB - like NTSC

there was a very good reason the Beeb didn't do colour TV when the yanjs did - because technically NTSC just isn't good enough (Never Twice Same Colour). So we aited while the Beeb helped invent PAL.

Now DAB - well the version the Beeb is lumbered with - is pretty crap; later attempts are better but (like NTSC) not compatible with the dyer version of DAB the UK has.

Early adoption is great for people and small companies - it's crap for infra-structure projects at national level. UK DAB is a failure; the sooner that is accepted and the whole sorry mess canned the better.

The light sounds kind of sensible though - replace the DAB with tinternet radio and wireless and it may be worth getting

9. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Looks like the radios found in Portal...

Maybe they need them as the facility is underground?

Fridge brilliance I say!

Black Helis. GLaDOS is going to send robots after me for mentioning that.

10. bluest.one
    Thumb Down

Failure

It sounds like the two main selling points - fading of light and sound - it actually fails at: fading down the light and then turning it off abruptly and not fading the music down as well.

I swear, it's as if these companies don't actually test their products and think about them particularly hard. Or they're just hopeless at manifesting their initial idea and finessing it.

11. Robert E A Harvey
    Stop

for glods sake

a good idea spoiled by ugly design, poor realisation, and overpricing. And the fact that DAB is crap.

12. Steve 13

Light frequency

Aren't most of the products similar to this (dawn simulator stuff) using SAD lamps instead of some multi coloured LEDs. Half the point (I wanted to say the entire point, but it's not true) is to relieve SAD symptoms and to make waking up more 'natural' than just an irritating beeping when it's time.

I've had one of the Philips versions with a daylight bulb in it, I don't know if it does any good, I do notice that I wake up before the beeping starts, but normally only to turn my face away from the light... Maybe that's more pleasant than being bounced straight out of deep sleep by the alarm though!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like