back to article Philips Fidelio DS8550 wireless iPad speaker

Reg Hardware pronounced Philips' Fidelio DS9000 to be pick of the current crop of premium iPod docks, beating even the much-loved and well-reviewed B&W Zeppelin. Clearly, Philips is onto something here, because its Fidelio DS8550 is pretty bloody good too. Now, I didn't review the DS9000 - m'colleague Alun Taylor had that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DaveyP

Bluetooth

Not been mentioned as far as I've seen, but iOS4 works MUCH better with Bluetooth, and holds the connections. Under 3.x it dropped them a lot when idling - I upgraded on Tuesday and it hasn't dropped yet.

BTW, rather than upgrading and buying speakers, etc, you can just buy a BT adapter that will plug in the aux sockets on your existing stereo. Works a treat...

2. David Gosnell

Shame about the dock

Shame it has a physical dock really, but then you wouldn't be able to show off your iPad so prominently and conversation-startingly I guess. Hopefully one day wireless streaming on stereo equipment will be taken as read as much as having a CD player - which used to have big fancy arrows and things back in the 80s, in much the same attention-seeking manner.

3. handle

Does it make a difference?

"The secret, incidentally, is to treat the iDevice simply as a controller and music store. The Fidelio takes the digital data and runs it through its own digital-to-analogue converter (DAC) rather than rely on the one in the player. It does make a difference."

How do you know that? Does it have the ability to play analogue audio from the iPad?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Does it make a difference?

Yes: out of the iPad headphone socket and into the Fidelio aux port.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like