back to article Three pledges cut-price iPads for Crimble

Three is to follow T-Mobile and Orange , and make available cut-price iPads subsidised by airtime contracts. Neither Orange nor T-Mobile have said what the subsidised price of their iPads will be, though it has been claimed 3G-enabled iPads will be sold for as little as £200 - £329 off the list price. Likewise, Three did not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DaveyP

Never never...

Let's call it what it is: this is a way for people that can't afford an iPad to get an iPad on what we used to call hire purchase.. Pound to a penny half of them sold this way will make use of all that lovely mobile data no more than a couple of times a month, if that.

2. Dick Emery
    Headmaster

Grammar Nazi

Don't you mean 'as much as £200-329 off the list price'? Or is it 'as little as £200 - £329 compared with the list price'?

I'm a 'little' confused.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Grammar Nazi

No. "As little as £200 [which is] £329 off the list price."

It is a dash, not a hyphen.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It is a dash, not a hyphen."

As they look almost identical, don't you think a comma would have been better?

Also, who uses dashes in that context?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: "It is a dash, not a hyphen."

Journalists, by long tradition.

Though, yes, a comma would do.

4. Anonymous John

Re the hit on the monthly data bill

A £200 iPad with Three's 15GB for £15pm tariff wouldn't seem bad value.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Forget getting it for £15.

It will be £35-£40 pm for 18 months or two years. You might get that data included but you wont get it for that price.

2. Steve Todd
      Stop

Yeh,

but you can bet that it will cost more than £15 with a subsidised iPad. Rough rule of thumb, on an 18 month contract and a £200 down payment it will set you back about £35/month.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

£15 per month, not a snowballs chance in hell...

after bashing some numbers, think it will be a min of £20 - plus then there is a chance you will have to deal with three support, which is not really worth the hassle.

5. Gavin Jamie
    Stop

Crimble??

May I nominate Crimble to join lappy and others in the Reg Room 101?

1. mccp

+1

Crimble sounds like some perverted liaison between Christmas pud and apple crumble.

Everyone no that Sandy Claw comes at Crimbo.

6. CmdrX3

Yeah right..

Cut price my ass. By the time you end up paying for the service that you will no doubt be locked into for two years, it will end up costing twice as much.

7. Alan Edwards
    Happy

Not £430

£430 is for the entry-level WiFi-only version. They might subsidise that and bundle it with a MiFi, but most likely they'll give you a WiFi+3G version which starts at £530.

If it is £200+£15/month I might be tempted - cancel my current contract, and put the new SIM in my MiFi - but like the others I doubt it. They want £35/month plus £40 up front for a 15 gig contract with a Samsung RV510 laptop, roughly the same subsidy as on a £530 iPad down to £200.

8. Chris Evans

"Crimble" please don't!

"Crimble/Crimbo" what horrible words.

If Christmas was a festival of any other religion other than Christianity, you wouldn't be mangling the name would you?

Just because Christianity is tolerant and you won't see me burning your effigy outside El. Reg. Towers doesn't make it right!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Chris Evans

Christmas is a religious festival?

I thought it stopped being that and turned into an excuse for out of control consumerism years ago.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like