back to article iPads improve image of IT industry

The IT industry is seen as a more desirable place to work, thanks to the likes of Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg and fondleslabs like the iPad. Actually it's not quite so clear cut - 46 per cent of respondents to a recent survey believe the IT industry is seen as more attractive now than five years ago. Some 40 per cent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Byers
    FAIL

So what this survey actually says is....

...Joe Public think we spend all day staring at company issue iPads and engaging in various types of social media. Boy, are they in for a shock!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Forgot to mention.....

Having to cope with the pencil-neck project manager who knows jack-shit about about anything except project management and is making everyone's life a misery because he's still a virgin at 45 and has no chance of changing that unless he pays for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gates Horns

When the reality is....

A shitty recycled Dell Latitude, Microsoft Fucking Word, Visual Pissing Studio, and MS sodding DN.

1. Darryl
        Unhappy

You got a recycled Dell Latitude??

Lucky!

I got a recycled Optiplex

3. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Pint

Indeed!

Some of these people ought to try working an 10 hour day as Unix/RDBMS admin! The only GUI you get to see is the one that holds up the 96 SSH sessions you're using to keep the business critical DB servers up and running.

I am glad Exchange came along, as the Exchange admins now get a taste of what we real admins have had to put up with when a critical system goes tits-up and a management huddle forms around you faster than a line outside an Apple store when a new gadget is announced!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know maths isn't my strong point but...

"In terms of the technology which is drawing people to the trade, mobile development platforms were considered most important by 58 per cent of people. Forty-seven per cent mentioned social media, 34 per cent said cloud computing and 32 per cent cited 3D and animation."

Eh?!

1. D@v3
      WTF?

you beat me to it

by my reckoning, thats 171%

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Ever seen..

A multi-choice questionnaire, where you select the things that apply? So some people ticked various multiples of different areas within IT?

3. Yag
    Dead Vulture

Social networks? important?

Screw it, we are all doomed!

1. Arctic fox

@Yag It gets even worse.....

To look for new positions you are going to _have_ use Arse-BooK. Oh the humiliation!

4. Eponymous Cowherd
    Unhappy

Poor deluded bastards

If only they knew.........

Just because the end product is shiny shiny and the bosses earn shitloads of wonga doesn't mean working for them is a good thing.

Diamonds are nice and shiny too, but I wouldn't want to work down a mine in Botswana.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd avoid New Zealand as well.

Although coal isn't as shiny.

1. Pete 48
        Stop

Too soon...

Too soon man.

5. Code Monkey

It's a shame

They weren't attracted to polishing turds to laughable deadlines. Then they'd love it in the industry.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lower

If that is the response of current job seekers, doesn't say much for the calibre of applicants!

Oh dear Oh dear, I just hope i'm not lumbered with one of these mugs.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh great

Another generation of gadget fanbois thinking they can get rich quick.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

3D & Animation

... Is art/design not Information Technology.

IT is something for which you need broad technical skills, to do animation you need narrow skills in 1 or 2 applications and a flair for art.

3D is a stupid fad.

Whilst we're on it, 99%* of people "in social media" are also clueless tech-retards (i.e. something they fell into because they stood out at nothing) really not serious professionals, the kind of people who do crappy surveys like this and just prove my point by doing it wrong.

*99.95% of stats are exaggerated to make a point

</rant>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"3D is a stupid fad."

Yeah, I miss the good old days when we all lived in 2D. 8bit colour, that was awsome too!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow.

I'm used to the inane utterances of the terminally ill-informed on these hallowed pages, but this takes the biscuit!

"3D is a stupid fad." You'd better let those fun loving chaps over at Pixar and their rivals at DreamWorks this information, they seem to have missed it and are doing rather well out of this 'fad'. So are Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and the developers that create games for their respective platforms. Adobe and Autodesk haven't done too badly out of this 'fad' either.

Here's the fact; modelling, animation and the other skills for producing any kind of 3D content are far more involved than the "...narrow skills in 1 or 2 applications and a flair for art" that an ignoramus like you supposes. Next time, don't spout utter bollocks about something you have no real world knowledge of.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dark side of 3D

Not all 3D animation is good. Yes, it does require a range of skills (depending on the company - some are small where everyone does everything, some are large production-line sweatshops where one skill IS all you need).

Some 3D animation produces great movies, most does not. - working 6 days a week doing pointless 3D animated adverts to ridiculous deadlines for example.

3. thecakeis(not)alie

3D is a fad...

...but if you add a time-shifting PVR then it's 4D, baby!

9. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

If that is the calibre of respondant...

Then it's no surprise that they are having to kill time looking at recruitment sites all day.

Some of these people need to realise that the real coalface work in IT is the design, development, delivery and management of systems, tools, processes and technologies to enable the designers, developers and deliver-ers to be able to actually PRODUCE all of these shiny throwaway gadgets such as smartphones and iPads.

I'll take a SAP/ERP architect, a UNIX sysadmin, or a good business analyst over a Facebook web programmer, iPad case designer, or smartphone ring tone maker any day of the week.

10. John A Blackley

Yeah, really

Gawd help us all indeed. That entrepeneurs and new technology should make IT seem like an effective service that actually puts usable technology in the hands of non-technologists instead of an image of sleep-deprived, socially-impaired trolls who inhabit the nether regions of buildings and produce only excuses for why the damned computers won't do what they're supposed to.

Gawd help us all, indeed.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Reality bites

Us sleep deprived trolls tell it like it is.

And, for most working in IT, the reality is keeping a decrepit pile of crap online and trying to explain to the IT illiterate IT "manager" why the bloody thing keeps going down.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm sure that if you survey most people...

... they will tell you their job sucks, regardless of what they do.

Some of us in computing have great jobs.

11. jake Silver badge

Funny thing is ...

Of all the companies mentioned in TFA, the only one I don't have blocked at the routers is Dell. Doesn't seem to have affected my technology experience much ...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

a bunch of wannabes?

Seems like the target of the survey was a bunch of IT wannabes or some group of below average IQ clown.

No relationship to the REAL WORLD I work in.

13. Anthony Hulse
    Happy

LOL. Michael Dell?

Seriously? Does anybody even know what he looks like?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

Has there actually been a reported case of an ipad being used to do actual work yet?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

if iPAD is the main reason for attraction to the IT industry

then they are already a bunch of loser before they even start !

16. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Look on the bright side!

At least we don't work in HR!

That's going to be a really fun job with the endless stream of applicants for IT roles whose qualifications consist of: "I can haz iPad yes?" and a Farceb0rk and/or Tw@ter account.

17. Matthew 17

I got into IT for the chicks

living the dream

18. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Optiplex? Bloody luxury

*looks down at shitty Optiplex*

A better PC? Nah, not these days, now I have to develop Weblogic Java web apps using a shitty FOTM VM piece of crap. And for legacy work? An even shittier VM slice. I've sent links to your articles but that falls on deaf ears, it (allegedly) makes IT's lives easier and it's cheaper, so who gives a shit about actual performance.

Also, lol at iPads and the story in general.

This topic is closed for new posts.