back to article Opera Mobile 10.1 lands 'Carakan' engine on Symbian

Opera has officially released its Opera Mobile 10.1 browser for Symbian, offering Nokia S60 users the "Carakan" JavaScript engine that drives the Norwegians' latest desktop browser. According to Opera, the new browser outperforms Opera Mobile 10.0 for Symbian by nine times on the Sunspider Javascript benchmark. Opera has also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Dawson
    Pint

How do you make money out of it?

They've said they aren't going to inject adverts in...

.... beyond my ken.

Beer 'O clock.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

money, money, money

They are making money just like the desktop version: Every time you use the search field, Google pays Opera.

Also, they can move users from the public Opera Mini versions, and onto versions customized for operators, and then the operator will pay per active user.

2. KjetilS
      Happy

Moneymaking...

From the article linked to (in this article):

"Today Opera's income comes from three streams: licensing and royalties in one stream, income from active users and transactions in another stream, and "internet economy" income such as driving referrals to search engines as a third. The latter, by the way, is what keeps Mozilla afloat. So mobile networks pay to use Opera's server technology because it saves them bandwidth, and improves the end-user experience."

2. William Gallafent
    Gates Halo

Windows Mobile?

Since Opera Mobile is the browser that made Windows Mobile a viable smartphone platform, I hope we can see the same bump from 10 to 10.1, and a similar performance improvement, before too long! It seems to be on 10.0 still at the moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Dead

Isn't WM dead?

3. KjetilS
    Thumb Up

I have played with it for a few minutes...

... and it certainly feels a lot snappier than 10.0 (not that 10.0 was a slouch).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like