back to article YES! It's the twists-in-midair FALLING GECKO ROBOT!

Grumbling taxpayers concerned that much so-called academic "research" actually consists of boffins basically mucking about at public expense can calm down. Today brings news of university researchers maintaining a laser-like focus and toiling hard on projects which deliver immediate and obvious betterment to a suffering humanity …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon Pryra
    FAIL

No offensive to our iron gecko overloads

But that footage of the ferrous lizard is about as good as the film you see of Nessie.

After all that time and sitting through 3 loads of lizard falling off the ceiling, they couldn't set a decent camera angle?

2. Steve X
    Coat

Murphy's law

I'll bet if you spread jam on it, it will still land sticky-side down on the carpet.

1. lawndart

Never mind Murphy

Which way up will it land if Veronica bitch-slaps it one with a power-fist?

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Not sure about the bootnote.

Surely if their sticky feet were that bloody marvellous, they wouldn't have needed to develop a method of landing the right way up when they fell off the ceiling?

Not so smug now are we mister lizard?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A down vote for TeeCee

Why...please why?

ahh it was the "Mr lizard" fanclub

1. Marvin the Martian
        Alien

Mr Lizard club, "one downvote"

There's more of us. Where were you in the 80s? Haven't you seen V?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

or.....

just make the belly side heavier than the top side....

There, now raise the Uni fees to stop the free loaders...

5. Imsimil Berati-Lahn

Next out of the bag: CatBot

Geckos are all well and good, but since they're in the market of getting funds for dropping inverted animals and filming the look on their faces as they fall, can't we get conclusive evidence from the Gaffer taping two cats back to back gravity paradox experiment. Whilst we're at it let's have a try at the epoxying buttered toast to a cat's back experiment.

Step aside LHC lamers!

We're exploring the anti-gravity properties of toast buttered on both sides.

Higgs-Boson... Pah!

1. stucs201

Alternatively

Is it possible to create butter from nothing by dropping unbuttered toast? Does it hover forever, or simply create butter on one side so it can land?

1. Captain Save-a-ho
        Coat

Re: Alternatively

Hmm...I was wondering where the anti-butter came into play. That sounds like a better reason for the butter side to land down.

1. BossHog
          Coat

Mmm...

I can't believe it's not physics.

1. F111F
            Coffee/keyboard

You Owe Me...

one of these...LOL

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Coat

Been done

Someone has already done a load of "research" on the landing habbits of buttered toast. I think that it might have even been covered by the ignoble awards (or the reg!). The research was flawed* though, and the results were wrong.

*Perhaps they used "it tastes like butter" (but doesn't fall like butter).

OK now I'm starting to believe what the misses says about remembering everything I read!

1. Anonymous Bastard
        Boffin

@BristolBachelor

I also read something like that where someone had done a load of research... Roughly speaking it has more to do with the height the toast is dropped from (about 5 ft for most people) than whether it is buttered or not.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The squamato-mimetic bot-flip project

You had fun with that article, didn't you Lewis?!

1. dodge
      Terminator

Close but no banana

He got me at "squamato-tumblewrithe tech".

~R

7. David Forney

Makes me wonder ..

Seeing the metal mesh the gecko was clinging to make me wonder is a little electrical ZAP was induced to 'encourage' the lil bugger to take the leap ..

8. E 2
    FAIL

It's not that I *want* to pop the balloon

This robot's trick is nothing more than an application of conservation of angular momentum, and as such needed no investigation of geckos. The physics is a few hundred years old, the equations of motion derived from a Hamiltonian. Now, kids, go to Wikipedia and find out when Hamilton's formulation was cooked up.

I can only imagine the boffins brought in the gecko and the gecko-cutout piece of plastic to make their work more cutesy for the unwashed masses and the funding agencies.

This thing *really is* wanking!

1. Ru
      FAIL

Basic principles != specific implementation

This is more about stealing an existing, working design for building new kinds of robot rather than trying to design something new from scratch without the benefits of a few million years of testing.

Complaining that because we understand the underlying mathematics behind something we have no need to ever study the phenomenon ever again is obtuse at best.

9. E 2

@Ru

Oh, BS. This not so complicated that it needed an example to implement.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like