back to article HMRC excise tracking to go online

HM Revenue and Customs is to switch from paper to a new online Excise Movement and Control System (EMCS) in January. The department said the new system has been designed to reduce excise fraud. Before the paper system is halted on the 31 December, traders will be able to try out dispatching goods on EMCS. To use it, traders …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Blofeld's Cat
    Alert

Plenty of time

So about five weeks for a government department to get everyone signed up, the appropriate software downloaded and installed, and the system debugged.

What could possibly go wrong?

2. Michael 28
    Happy

CHIEF? TARIC?

Does this mean joe public will be able to clear his or her own "Machine Parts" through customs without courier assistance? Will there be an online version of TARIC?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Finally!

I was on this project years ago, right before Capgemini did their mass cull of staff to win a few more years of their contract. Don't ask what the budget had spiraled to by the point I left, or why 25 separate European tax administrations all felt they needed to run their own individual projects to build and deliver bespoke applications providing identical functionality and that used a common message format. And people wonder why I'm so cynical about government IT projects and the EU gravy train.

4. Kubla Cant

Am I the only one...

who read this to find out why HMRC were invoved in exercise tracking?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like