back to article Motorola drags Microsoft to ITC, says Xbox infringes its patents

Motorola has complained to the ITC that Microsoft is importing kit, specifically the X-Box, which infringes Motorola's patents and should thus be banned from US shores. The infringements are already part of an ongoing legal action by Motorola, itself in response to Microsoft's actions. But bringing in the International Trade …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Thumb Up

You Go Girls ...

I certainly wish Motorola and Microsoft the best of luck in hacking each other to bits. Meanwhile, leave the suicide nets in place.

The issue remains that Silicon is the new Carbon and toys like the X-Box are the new Conflict Diamonds.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Michael C
    Alert

and what are they infringing?

Can we get some actual data, instead of a "breaking news" style article here? What are the patents in question? What's the reporter's (or better yet expert) view on the legitimacy of those? Is this the x-Box or the x-box 360 or both?

4. JaitcH
    FAIL

Another reason for manufacturing in the USA

If these were manufactured in the States, at least the ITC would be eliminated. And actually employ some people.

Shipping product into the States, without software, which would be injected post-arrival is a technique employed by several manufacturers, including Canadian companies.

U.S. patent law is a mess, even MS' Ballmer agrees to this point, and software patents should either be eliminated or limited to, say, 5 years. Mind you, Apple's patent lawyer troll would be looking for work, no more prior art patents to file.

5. bugalugs
    Happy

" The five patents in the ITC case relate to ways to transmit data and communicate over wireless networks, and digital coding of video, according to the complaint. "

unquote

Susan Decker, Bloomberg.com

6. Chris Coles

Motorola attorney in Chicago showed one of my patents as an example of a good patent

Some time ago, a US inventor, in dispute with Motorola over their assumed patent rights attended a meeting between his attorney and the Motorola legal team in Chicago. During that meeting, (I was told), one of the the Motorola attorneys said something to the effect: "Your patent is worthless; this is an example of a good patent" and promptly tossed one of my US patents onto the table. Which is how I heard about the incident as they then approached me.

My patents? 5,712,679; 6,181,373; 6,469,735

Perhaps they should worry about me instead?

7. Nuno Silva
    FAIL

Oops, Motorola didn't blink

Oops, Motorola didn't blink. Bad news for Microsoft. MS will have to pay again.

With some luck a few patents on both sides will be crushed. Unfortunately I don't think this will get that far.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like