back to article German zoo separates gay vulture couple

German gay groups have protested the enforced separation of a couple of homosexual vultures who'd happily set up nest in Münster's Allwetterzoo. Griffon vultures Guido and Detlef had been together since March, gaily "grooming one another with tender sweeps of their savage beaks between rearranging the sticks that made up their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fuh Quit
    Thumb Up

A taste of things to come at Vulture Central?

Just checking...... is there an Eastern Block version of El Reg? Ze All Weather Regista Communista?

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Well, would they split up heterosexual birds?

Yes they would if they wanted to. It's only birds.

What next, gay earthworms?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Earthworms can't really be gay.

Earthworms are hermaphrodite anyways.

2. Pierre Castille
      Stop

Gay Earthworms????

Earthworms are hermaphrodite, so 'gayness' would not be an option would it?

1. frank ly

re. Gay Earthworms

I've noticed that if I stamp on my lawn, with a rythmic, high energy disco beat; then quite a few earthworms come out and start wriggling around in a sort of dance movement. Is this significant?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Well, you know ...

... birds of a feather

4. steward
    FAIL

Define "irony"

Germany is still quite fanatic about denazification - banning sales of various memorabilia, etc.

The pink triangle that is one of the primary symbols of the gay rights movement came from Nazi Germany, as well: homosexuals were required to wear them, just as Jews were required to wear a yellow Star of David.

And now, the thoroughly de-nazified Germany is attacking homosexual... vultures.

You just can't make this kind of stuff up - any fiction editor would reject it without even a letter.

5. mullerovsky
    Pint

gay, gayer, Geier

Just wanted to mention, that the German word for vulture is 'Geier'.

1. frank ly

followed by....

Geist. (Just getting into the spirit of things.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So what's the point of the Zoo?

By separating them they have denied the public the opportunity to be enlightened about vulture behaviour. So zoos aren't for education then?

7. Steve X

carrion up the Münster?

OK, so El Reg obviously sympathises with vultures, but those two sound more like a pair of old retired mates (the odd couple? Pete & Dud?) than a couple of queens. Separating them & helping one to get laid sounds more like a Last of the Summer Wine script than standard zoo behaviour.

8. Havin_it
    Coat

Hey Mr DJ

Anything by Them Crooked Vultures, plz

9. Sandra Greer
    IT Angle

Meanies!

Separating bonded friends is just meanness to birds, who (like people) have relationships. Although it is only since March, so maybe they should get out more...

10. Annihilator
    Linux

Disney's Jungle Book

What we gonna do? I dunno, wotcha wanna do?

No-one accused them of being gay.

11. SirTainleyBarking
    Coat

There has to be a pecker joke somewhere

But I just can't bring myself......

Oh Hell

I'll get me coat

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not vultures

Actually, they were eagles, but Benedict XVI went back home and had them put on the rack to repent their abominable crime. So what appears has a long feather-free neck is actually a normal stretched neck. I hope this clears any confusion.

13. Detlef_Guido
    Go

our new lbog

Detlef and Guido have started their own blog, and encourage you to read it. Please stop by http://vulturelove.wordpress.com to learn more about their story of true love and devotion.

This topic is closed for new posts.