back to article Ubuntu's Shuttleworth lands luxury NY crash pad

Canonical owner and former cosmonaut Mark Shuttleworth has found a new landing pad. Ubuntu king Mark Shuttleworth has bought a condo in Manhattan's Superior Ink building for a record $31.5m, according to the New York Post. Other residents of Superior Ink – a 68-unit, 17-floor building – include actress Hilary Swank, fashion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roger Greenwood
    Happy

Thwate?

Thawte so.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Hold the front page!

"Very rich man buys expensive flat"

<yawn>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Grammar alert

He calls the Isle of Man home? He owns it???

I wouldn't be surprised - it would be the first thing I'd do if I was a billionaire too...buy the Island, lob the existing residents into the sea, and bingo - my own personal racetrack.

Though I might let the pub owners, and road maintenance guys stay (that bump at the Gooseneck can be alarming and needs fixed, and I'd want all the white lines and catseyes taken out). Oh, and as a biker, I'd probably need the ambulance crews to stay as well..

4. iamapizza
    Linux

What I'd do with my millions...

Reinvest into the company I'm running so as to further propagate the use of and knowledge of Linux as well as Ubuntu and FOSS in the community. But that's just me.

1. dave 46
      WTF?

Re-invest?

To re-invest would indicate taking profits from the business and investing in the same business.

since when has Canonical made a profit? Surely you mean you would sink even more of your personal wealth into a risky venture in the future of computing?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

WTF? can I have what your drinking?

His new Manhattan building was once the former Superior Ink factory by a group of companies led by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross.

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

Spending too soon

I agree with what others are saying, why not pump some millions back into the OS? Even pay some money to volunteers?

He can take millions out of the company now and have Linux slowly growing or spend millions now improving Linux. Then in a few years you'll be able to take billions out of the company as it will be more widespread.

Ubuntu and some of it's own applications are too unstable to be mass market. The quality needs to improve massively!

Nobody is going to replace Windows with Linux if the pain is too great, investment is needed to reduce the pain. Things need to work better and if they fail a decent error message, not some cryptic message.

1. Dave 15

Why?

I can't see the point in investing in this sort of thing. Its unlikely to save the world, stop a starving baby being hungry, curing someone of illness or anything remotely useful.

To be honest the reason these alternative operating systems aren't the dominant one is they are just not good enough.

Why do we really need more than one?

It would be better to have one decent operating system than the current one dominant and not too bad one and dozens that are of no use to man or beast..

The reason these operating systems aren't on my PC is that they are painful to install, painful to use and unstable. When something is rotten and no use scrap it and concentrate effort on something useful.

1. FARfetched
        Linux

Because.

«The reason these operating systems aren't on my PC is that they are painful to install, painful to use and unstable.»

You've never used Ubuntu or one of its derivatives, I see.

2. proto-robbie
        Jobs Halo

Haven't you forgotten?

Well, he must have earned the halo for something

2. elderlybloke
      Pint

Spending too soon ?

Greetings Mr. Jones,

Mark is free to spend his spare cash anyway he wants to.

Do you use Ubuntu, or are you just spouting regurgitated here-say?

I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years and it is now very stable.

The nightmares about the blue screen of death have subsided now thankfully.

I suppose I should not mention any of the faults that Microsoft have had and still do.

7. Alex Rose

What to do with your millions

To the people who are saying that he should be investing more of his money in Canonical to aid the rise of Linux here's an idea - YOU guys all put YOUR millions into Canonical and let Mark do what HE wants with HIS millions.

8. Dave 15

we are all in it together

Just different its that we are in...

the rich in the trough up to their necks scoffing and feeding, blowing obscene amounts of money on a flat

the middle folk trying to make increasingly distant ends meet through a barage of rampant inflation (at least everything they buy - food and fuel) and rapidly increasing tax

the poor starving and dieing in their millions

In some ways I'm glad I'm not in the first group, how a guy can live with spending such an obscene amount on a flat when others die for want of fractions of that in medicine, while babies starve... I don't know, obviously no concience - but then again being a moral free [insert favourite expletive] is whats needed to become that rich.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like