back to article Man denies charges he hacked Fed Reserve network

A Malaysian man accused of hacking into a Federal Reserve computer network and possessing stolen account data for 400,000 bank cards has pleaded not guilty to the charges. Lin Mun Poo, 32, pleaded not guilty on Monday, four days after he was indicted on four counts that included claims he hacked in to a data processor by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 65

Go figure..

<quote>When Poo was arrested in October, agents recovered a “heavily encrypted laptop computer” that included “financial account data and personal identifying information, including more than 400,000 credit card, debit card and bank account numbers,” according to documents filed in court last week.</quote>

Either he told them the password or his encryption was actually shite.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or, if it was like where I work...

they found a postit with the password stuck undeneath the laptop.

2. That's a smack down
      Coat

A steaming pile?

It would seem that Poo's encryption was shite, and as such, he is now in deep doo doo.

3. Glenn Charles
      Linux

oh...

Poo.

--Glenn

[American, couldn't resist; my apologies]

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

What does the Federal Reserve have to do with credit cards?

I thought their only job is to blow paper money out of their arse by the truckload if government and Nobel-prize-heavy economists demand it, blowing the economy heavenwards enough to survive till up to the next elections (and damn the consequences)?

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Not quite...

The man was caught because he had hacked a site and was selling credit card information.

It was then during this investigation that they found out he tried to hack the Fed Reserve.

3. Cunningly Linguistic
    Troll

I can't resist it...

...but Poo must really be in the shit now.

4. Jared Vanderbilt

You've got Poo on your database.

He seems to be quite prolific at hacking into government/financial databases. Silly boy kept the data on his hard drive though. He of all people should have understood the importance of physical security. Kind of hard to crack the encryption if you don't have the file(s). And yes, the DOD will spare no expense on the decryption if they suspect their data might be in the file(s).

Nice job getting him to fly into NYC. No extradition paperwork. Poo must have Poo for brains.

5. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Only a dummy would cross an international border with hot data these days

Can't have been too well read, our friend Poo, otherwise he would have travelled with clean laptop on downloaded his stuff later.

If he flew to the U.S. just to sell CC numbers, that makes him even more dumb, as most card dealers trade on-line.

Still, he will likely to get his visa extended by 10 or 20 years spending his time reflecting n his business plan, in a federal jail with all needs - other than keys - supplied. No time off in federal jails - time given = time served.

6. ici.chacal
    Black Helicopters

@Mark 65

Or perhaps the NSA et al have back doors into publicly available 'heavy encryption'..?

Is that the sound of rotor blades I can hear..?!

1. Aitor 1

Of course they have it

That's why you should not use "off the self" encryption only.

It is not very difficult to create your own not so strong encryption (but without backdoors) and use it inside "stong" containers.

And you should also encrypt the swap and temp zones.. or, better still, the whole HDD.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

cant resist

sounds like its hit the fan,

or rolled downhill,

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Webmasters, who are you kidding

I thought a webmaster conducted his business in such a way as to prevent these kinds of attacks? Such much for master.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like