back to article Bish says sorry for right royal Facebook rant

The Bishop of Willesden has issued a grovelling apology for "deeply offensive" Facebook comments about the forthcoming nuptials of Wills and Kate. The Rt Rev Pete Broadbent, Bishop of Willesden, went right into one last Wednesday, apparently suffering from an overdose of royal wedding press euphoria which brought out a dark, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Blofeld's Cat
    Unhappy

I'm shocked

I didn't know Willesden had a Bishop.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"Wills and Kate"

my GOD! he isnt' marrying JORDAN is he? or are we talking about some other royal?

Which is that overdone sarcasm icon again?

2. Annihilator
      Paris Hilton

Me too

I didn't know there had been a royal engagement - surely it should have been mentioned in the papers?..

2. Cameron Colley

Does the man not know his history or something?

Or does he have some clever way of explaining why a republican should be a high-up member of a church separated from Rome by a monarch who wanted to move on to another receptacle for the royal sperm on the off chance a male child would be born?

Aside from that, I tend to agree with him about the nonsense surrounding the engagement -- and I'm not even a republican.

1. Neil Hoskins
      WTF?

I was thinking along the same lines.

How, exactly, can an Anglican clergyman be a republican, given that the monarch is his boss? Surely, if he's not happy with that, then he should join a different denomination. Oh, and I am a republican, and a disestablishmentarian.

1. IR

You're a disestablishmentarian?

So you are against antidisestablishmentarianism?

(first time I've used it without the phrase "is a very long word" being somewhere in the conversation)

1. Oninoshiko
          FAIL

about it being the first time you've you the word with out that phrase...

nope, you still haven't managed it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

LOL

You don't have to be a republican to find it all nauseating tosh.

Then again, the RtRev did at some point in becoming a Bish have to swear his allegiance to Her Maj and her successors. Did he cross his fingers for that bit?

4. John Whitehead
    Thumb Up

Phew!

Glad he retracted it otherwise I'd be in the truly weird position of agreeing wholeheartedly with a bishop...

5. AdamWill
    Joke

Give that man a medal

...on the other hand, how he fails to see through that other nauseating tosh that provides him with a job is still unclear.

6. John G Imrie
    Big Brother

Has the Bish been to room 101?

That's quite a turnaround.

I'd have given him more respect if he'd told the tabloid press to get stuffed* and stuck to his original comments.

*Note use of Seasonal Expletive.

1. Frantisek Janak
      Thumb Up

Chestnut

Under the spreading chestnut tree

I sold you and you sold me

There lie they, and here lie we

Under the spreading chestnut tree

*shivers*

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Joke

Quick turnaround

No, he just had a late night visit from the baby eating Bishop of Bath & Wells, who had some intimate theological advice for him.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds to me like...

...he's just nobbed off someone's already bought the mug set off the John Lewis list.

8. Guido Esperanto
    Coat

All he needs to do now

is apologise for the perpetual brainwashing of the masses during Sunday Sermons and announce that

"It was unwise for me to continue recounting this tripe to so many, I accept that this was a major error of judgement on my part"

and he should then be good to go :D

/mines the one made from the shroud of turin

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Daily Mail

"Quite right too. Any other shouty republicans who consider the impending joyous royal wedding as "nauseating tosh" are strongly advised to button their lips and push off to France until it's all over."

A comment entirely worthy of the Daily Mail..... look it's 'The Register'.

1. anarchic-teapot

France

Sadly, "over the water" (as per old Scots toast) they've been without royalty* for so long that the press tends to gush over everyone else's.

* Drama queens in the Elysée palace excepted.

10. Flugal
    FAIL

An arm and a leg

Well, I'm not mornarchist, but I'm no religious believe either.

Now, I know the Palace suggest the cost of the royals is only about 60p each, which might well be higher if we also factor in policing, security etc, but at least the royals do, actually, genuinely and undoubtedly exist, so we know we get something for the money.

Churches in the country get a lot of subsidies from the state, and discounts on services as they get charity status. Also, we have a lot of bishops etc. in the House or Lords, who presumably don't come for free, and presumably have expense claims etc.

I would be interested to know the cost to the UK taxpayer of subsidising houses of worship, bishops expenses and other sky-fairy supporting paraphernalia etc. and comparing it with the cost of the royals.

That said, his comment about avoiding "the last disaster in slow motion between Big Ears and the Porcelain Doll" was priceless.

1. Graham Smith 2
      Alert

I'm afraid you're wrong

> Churches in the country get a lot of subsidies from the state

Er, no. Unlike France and Germany, where local taxpayers contribute towards the running costs of their churches, parish churches don't receive any monies from the state.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

ditto

If you buy a house in a village that happens to have a local church then there can be a covenant that compels you to pay into the upkeep of the church. Solicitor should check this during the contract stage.

1. PT

Parish Tithe

"If you buy a house in a village that happens to have a local church .."

I had such a house once, with a "parish tithe" covenant. It was a few pounds a year. The solicitor suggested that in the unlikely event that anyone came round to collect it, I should just pay it. Nobody ever did.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Unlike France

In France there is only one region (Alsace) and one department (Moselle) that subsidize churches and their pastors. This are is called Alsace-Moselle, and it is a well-known exception to many rules that govern the rest of the territory.

Of course, it also happens to be the land closest to Germany and most often overrun and occupied by German forces.

There might be a link there, who knows ?

11. James Hughes 1

Hold on a sec...

"History: more broken marriages and philanderers among these people than not. Count them up, back through the ages. They cost us an arm and a leg."

Well, better a few broken marriages, than to be part of a way of life responsible for more deaths than anything else over the centuries.

i.e. Religion.

To be honest, all this wedding bollocks is a bit nauseating, and I'm a royalist!

1. Demosthenese

Religion respinsible for more deaths than ... blah, blah, blah

Greatest cause of human deaths - malaria. Greatest human generated slaughters - the world wars - not seeing a great role for religion in the causes here. But don't let actual facts get in the way of your anti-theist bigotry.

1. Pseudopath 1
        FAIL

@Demosthenese

I'm not certain but I do not think a disease can be responsible for anything but can certainly cause things. And I also question your usage of the word "bigotry" unless you were being ironic in some way.

2. Liam Johnson

Greatest cause

Must be a real bugger comming in second but still getting all this stick.

3. James Hughes 1

Malaria

True, it is responsible for more deaths overall, I was thinking more of human on human related deaths. For which religion IS responsible I believe, nothwithstanding your unproved assertion it's the WW's (which have, at least in some areas, a religious aspect. I'm thinking the Holocaust here as one example)

Not a bigot BTW, just don't think religion is a very good idea, but I am more than happy for people of whatever religion to practice as they see fit. (barring the murdering and torture of course).

4. PT

@Demosthenese

"Greatest human generated slaughters - the world wars"

Among which should be numbered the 30 Years War, involving most European countries and resulting in the deaths of about a third of the population. Now what was that one about, again?

2. Oninoshiko
      WTF?

wha?

Are you saying the head of state for the British Empire has *not* been responcible for quite a few deaths?

As an aside, you are aware of the origin of the anglicin church, right?

12. Steven Jones

Whilst we are at it...

Whilst we are getting rid of the monarchy, could we disestablish the Church too please, and stop the state subsidising of religious propaganda by funding faith schools?

1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face
      Pint

nah

In Britain, the churches pretty much invented universal education. I like my local church school, it produces well educated, well adjusted young people - I'm happy to fund it via my taxes.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

why is he on face book

why is he on face book and not on the GOOD book

hasn't he got a job to do like all good republican ?

and pay taxes like every one else?

14. DT
    Grenade

What's the difference between Charlton Heston's gun and Kate Middleton's ring?

...both had to be removed from cold dead hands!

I jest of course, Di hadn't worn her ring for years!

Yes, giving a future wife jewellery from your dead, divorced mother is...

1. a sweet gesture that the queen of hearts would have approved of

2. in poor taste

3. a bad omen

4. the kind of creepy thing Norman Bates would do

5. the kind of tacky move a publicist would advise

(delete according to your tabloid royalist tenancies).

15. Dazed and Confused

profit or loss

As one of the people on last weeks question time replied.

So the rumour mill has put the cost of their wedding at £50M (because the government will invite all their mates from all over the world to come). The tourism industry is saying that the wedding will bring in at least £1B.

So that looks like a profit to the country of £950M.

Personally I'm happy for the couple, at least he seems to be being allowed to marry who he wants. But I'd I'm not looking forward to the next 6>> months of news coverage will be largely filled with wedding trivia.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

not the first time

daily mail readers have bashed the bishop...

1. Toastan Buttar
      Thumb Up

Perhaps not

I reckon Daily Mail readers should spend MORE time "bashing the bishop", then they might feel less uptight about all the current outrages du jour.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Value for money

There are two compelling reasons for having a monarchy. 1 by a long way is tourist income. If we were not so silly and anachronistic we would have far fewer tourist. 2 No president. Presidents are expensive and have an annoying habit of trying to do stuff. Long live the (delete as appropriate)

18. Stefing

Don't bash the bishop!

They don't like it if they talk sense - still to the invisible friend nonsense.

19. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

Nauseating tosh?

You mean like the nonsense that comes out of the assorted churches of this world...?

20. Youngone Silver badge
    FAIL

They'd better hurry

My biggest concern for the porcelain doll's oldest idiot is that he gets the deed done as quickly as possible, before all his hair falls out. I swear, every time I see him he has less and less on top.

21. Adair Silver badge
    Pint

Here's to people who say what they think.

And as for all of you with a penchant for the easy scapegoat, by all means give 'religion' the stick it deserves, but I think you'll find, on sober reflection (or unsober if you must), that it's people that are actually the problem. The fact that 'religion' happens to make a handy justification for all sorts of bad behaviour doesn't remove the underlying problem. Take religion away and I think people would find, and do find, plenty of other justifications for being extremely, or just a little bit, unkind to each other. Religious faith at its best, however, has the power to bring out the best in plenty of people.

Pete Broadbent, and I have to confess to knowing him personally (some time ago, when he was but a lowly curate), was always forthright about what he thought. In this case he probably does seem to owe the happy couple an apology---at least for some of what he said; but I rather like the idea of him telling certain others to 'get stuffed', as a previous poster has suggested. As I remember him that's certainly more Pete's style.

1. jbk

As the old saying goes...

Good people do good things, and bad people do bad things, but it takes religion for good people to do bad things.

1. Havin_it
        Grenade

RE: As the old saying goes...

That's one of the shittest sayings I've ever heard. Clause #1 doesn't stand up to much scrutiny (plenty of people I consider "Good" have done "Bad" things, and my opinion on these values is entirely subjective anyway) so hardly worth reading further.

22. Mephistro
    Thumb Up

Title goes here

Obviously the guy suffered a momentary lapse of honesty. Bad thing for a Bishop's career. On the other hand he'd make a good candidate for the Raving Monster Loony Party, so things get balanced at the end.

23. a cynic writes...
    Pint

How not to get ahead in the C of E...

...go off on one about the Supreme Governor's family (especially the Next-Supreme Governor) on the occasion of the Next-but-one-Supreme Governor getting engaged. Especially when you're an assistant bishop about due for a promotion to a diocese of your own. Truly beautiful career limiting move. Hence the grovelling apology.

In other (completely unrelated) news he lists "Real Ale" as one of his interests.

24. heyrick Silver badge
    Stop

"button their lips and push off to France until it's all over."

I'm in France and I wish everybody would STFU. They've been dating for an eternity. They've become engaged. They're going to get married. I fail to see why this is hugely important in the world. Or, actually, at all.

What's up in New Zealand? Will Ireland crash&burn? WTF happened in Cambodia? Why does Cantona want to bring down the banks (isn't the world screwed up enough already)? Will China and Japan ever settle their differences? What am I going to go eat after clicking Submit?

All of those are questions that I feel are worthy of my attention. Kate'n'Wills doesn't factor into it, neither does "Queen Cammie" (sounds like a drag act).

Well done the Bishop for standing up and saying something sensible. Shame he bowed to pressure afterwards...

25. Will 6
    WTF?

There is an expression for this

Goes something about a pot, a kettle, and the colour black I believe.

26. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

"nauseating tosh"

Just wait until the womens mags get fully up to speed...

Can it please be all over, now?

27. Allan George Dyer
    Alert

Speaking as a shouty republican...

is it all right if I sit it out here in Hong Kong, where I can vote for the head of state in free elections?

Umm, maybe I should think about this a bit more...

1. asiaseen

Hong Kong, where I can vote for the head of state

That's not the case in my bit of Hong Kong (admittedly I live in the Outlying Islands): CE of HKSAR - chosen by Beijing and rubber-stamped by the 800 member election committee of the great and the good; President of the PRC (the real head of state) - unelected Communist Party functionary.

1. Allan George Dyer
        Pint

Can I report...

your irony detector has failed.

To be accurate, I did vote in my Functional Constituency for some people who had the chance to use their mighty rubber stamp in the Election Committee. Even better, in 2012 we get a 50% increase in democracy: 1200 Election Committee members!

To lower the tone completely: China or Britain, it's all a matter of who gets f**ked!

28. Daniel Wilkie

Er

I'm assuming that he's a RC Bishop, as insulting the family of the head of your church (and indeed, lets not forget that they are the only reason the C of E exists) is never a great career move...

I'm predicting a reloaction to Craggy Island in the near future!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RC?

Nope. C of E.

29. Equitas
    Thumb Up

At least .....

Kate looks vaguely female and doesn't seem to get all her physical pleasure from riding horses. Wills could have done an awful lot worse -- the girl has potential.

What's more, while we're on the subject of "royalty," even a republican like myself can readily admit that Will's father's not daft in the way that the press make out -- in the flesh he's a genuinely-interesting conversationalist.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was unwise of me ..

...to engage in a debate with others on a semi-public internet forum and to express myself in such language

Given that he is not meant to be "part of this world", he should be kicked out of the church.

31. k9gardner

wrong on so many levels

Regardless of what anyone personally thinks of the royal family, a bishop is a special animal who has special rules, responsibilities AND PRIVILEGES that go along with his office. This particular bishop has shown that he does not respect the rules and principles of his office, but his groveling apology shows that he very much wants to maintain his privileges.

He should not be permitted to do so.

Would you want someone who had shown his inner nature in this manner to perform your marriage? To baptize your child? To consecrate a burial site for your mother? Or to ordain the priest who will perform any of these activities?

Without its heritage passed on from hand to head, for millennia, the church is a mere "concept." For it to have actual substance, one must pay attention to the details. One of the details here is that there is an episcopacy in the Anglican church, and in that system, the Monarch is the head of the church.

The Bishop of Willesden, in light of his utter personal disregard for the principles that the office he occupies implies and indeed requires, should become the former Bishop of Willesden, sooner rather than later.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like