back to article Cloud OS netbook turns up in Blighty

The Jolicloud Jolibook has gone on sale in the UK, kind of. Jolicloud Jolibook The £280 netbook pre-loaded with the cloud-centric, Ubuntu-based operating system is now being listed by Amazon, but with a 1-3 month shipping window. That's not what you'd expect to see with an 'available now' product. Jolicloud Jolibook The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anton Ivanov
    Flame

Why or why?

Considering that Debian/Ubuntu have a working variety for ARM this begs the question of "why, or why"?

Especially if it will really have anything cloudy about it.

I'd rather wait for Tosh ARM Android flop to have its price also flop appropriately and zap it with a Debian on top.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That ASS!

o_0

On another note, why is it so darn expensive?? £300 can get you an ION netbook these days, with 2GB of RAM too.

Fair enough, Jolicloud may not need as much RAM, but it's always nice to have. Seems like you paying a premium for the OS and fancy design on the back.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Now, what's the word for that desktop layout?

Ah yes. "Quaint".

1. Marvin the Martian
      Stop

What you mean?

I'm sure on all our desktops Space Invaders is one of the top-14 productivity apps.

Why 14 per screen you ask? Because 16 would be weird!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buzzword

There doesn't seem to be much cloudy about it, because there probably isn't. Maybe they're just hoping the buzzword "cloud" will encourage a few gullible idiots to buy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Jolicloud

tried it and it's got even more of a Fisher-Price feel than Apple. Based on an outdated release of Ubuntu, it's designed for complete idiots who want to burp their latest thoughts onto the internet in 140 characters or less ... so I installed it on my mother and wife's laptops and then spent the next week running about mending them after both installations refused to sign in to Amazon, Hotmail etc through Chromium and wouldn't install Firefox at all.

Not a good experience with Jolicloud so far, no way would I pay over the odds for hardware considering it's a free OS. One for the kiddies who will buy it more for the whizzy graphics on the case

6. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

photochop?

is it just me or does the 2nd photo down (the front on one) look like the screen layout has been photochopped? the cropping looks off in the bottom right corner.

G

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ Gareth Beverley

Very very obviously. The bezel is completely wrong thanks to a small amount of pincushioning in the original photo (look especially at the left edge).

In addition, I find it interesting that the picture is *identical* in the top photograph. I have three LCD laptops and I've just done a brief test with the El Reg index page. From that angle, *all* of the screens are darker, the machine I'm typing this on (eeePC 901) also tinted slightly reddish-brown, so I find it hard to imagine that looking at the screen from an angle would give the *exact* same shade of grey.

Which leads me to wonder why, exactly, they did such a crappy Photochop job... Announcement and sale before a working product is ready?

7. Alan Denman

Starts in seconds arrives in months

Its quite a cloudy start to this one.

8. Goat Jam
    FAIL

Sigh

I expect this sort of epic fail from entrenched players in the IT industry but then to have a newcomer come along and produce Just Another Craptastic Netbook (albeit sans the Windows Tax) it is truly disheartening.

These people had the opportunity to come into the market with zero baggage and offer up something different. A low cost, ARM + Flash based device might have been quite interesting, and if cheap enough would probably have flown off the shelves.

Instead, what do they do? They release a "me too", not cheap, not interesting, run of the mill Netbook whose only differentiator is that you don't have to pay for Windows.

Not that that seems to be reflected in the ticket price mind you.

PS. What is with all the 503 errors emanating from the Vulture Central servers today? Is the Amstrad you have running in the closet overheating perhaps? Maybe somebody could open the door a touch and let some air in for the poor dear.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like