back to article Viewsonic ViewPad 7 Android tablet

Viewsonic came up through monitors and projectors, but has recently been branching out, sometimes tentatively, into other devices like the VMP74 network media player and slimline laptops. Now it's set its sights on the rapidly emerging Android tablet market with its new 7in touchscreen, the ViewPad 7. Viewsonic Viewpad 7 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jules 4

Very similar to

The Lynx N700 available at Tesco and Staples for a lot less dosh !

2. Anton Ivanov
    Flame

Excellent, question No 1, does it run a proper OS

OK, the obvious question - does it run a proper OS instead of something that is not Java, but Java and not Java at the same time?

Most other recent tablet arrivals have been hacked to run Debian. I cannot find any info on this one though. If it does it may make my post-Xmas shopping list instead of the Tosh (which has been successfully vandalised to run Debian).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks nice enough, but....

A few too many compromises for me. 800x480 resolution, no significant on-board storage, 600MHz processor. Acceptable at half the cost of the Galaxy Tab, perhaps, but not at £400.

Still, the more the merrier in the market, I reckon.

GJC

4. Shane McCarrick

Processor :(

The only downside to this- is the 600Mhz Arm 11 processor.

Hell- I've got a faster processor in my smart phone, and I've had it for a while.

If this is to succeed, it needs the likes of one of the new Snapdragons etc.

At least it supports multitasking as is- but I'd hazard a guess that the processor is the big downside to this.......

You can now get dualcore Arm 11 1.2Ghz chips- thats what would make this a rocket.

1. Si 1

Agreed

The processor is surprisingly anaemic isn't it? I would have expected at least 1GHz, especially since it's big enough to be useful for watching video content via Flash. I'm surprised the reviewer didn't give any details on the performance of Flash and general web page rendering.

5. Alastair Dodd 1
    Thumb Down

very expensive

for it's speed and memory. Come on if you want to take on Apple guys you'll have to be more reasonable on price.

6. Michael C

Meh

I'm simply not impressed with the 7" form factor. 90% of the "quick" needs I might use this for, a 4" screen does just as well and is far more portable. For the times when I'm out and about at length, or lounging on the couch, saving 3" of diagonal is not worth the loss of size and resolution (not full keyboard sizing. Even though it's virtual, not having to crunch fingers if MUCH superior to a 7" layout).

Capped at 32GB storage even though the slot should accept more, low res display, no wireless N support, only a 3MP camera (and 0.3 front), and no HDMI (WHAT?!?! it's from a MONITOR COMPANY FOR SHITS SAKE!!!!). only 4-6 hours continuous use on a 3600mAH batter?

Oh, and since it has built in 3G, carrier lock is an issue, as are data plans since likely they'll be contractual, or priced higher than AT&T's no-contract offerings.

As for the CPU concerns, a 600MHz ARM 11 is not inferior to a 1GHz ARM9. It;s faster in some things (floating point), slower in others (brute speed). the 11 gets better battery life, a fair trade. since we don't know specifically which ARM11 it is (ther;e snot a native 600MHz model, they've either down-clocked a faster one or overclocked a slower one), it;s hard to say until someone benchmarks it.

1. daiakuma

I disagree with you on the form factor

I think 7" is the perfect size; big enough to be useful, small enough to be portable. In my opinion, the iPad is too big, If you could fold it in half, it would be great, but you can't.

7. JaitcH
    Pint

A little more patience, please

The flood gates on the tablet/pad market are about to open and your eyes will start watering.

And iPhans will even question whether it was smart to buy the Apple door stop.

Pity they won't be here for Christmas but they say Patience is a Virtue ... just wait until the goodies out here in the Far East arrive at your place.

1. RichyS
      Thumb Down

Riiiight

Yup, because all the indications are that this is going to happen.

Everyone seems to be pinning their hopes on Gingerbread. Or is it Honeycomb. Whatever, it's some 'to be released' version of Android that none of us have seen yet.

Excuse me if I don't hold my breath (though you're welcome to hold yours). Does the beer icon suggest that you were drunk when you wrote your comment?

1. JaitcH
        Happy

No need to hold your breath

Stores in HongKong and southern China are all showing new products from substantial companies.

Personally I think Korea will score big time as supply lines are often integrated within one industrial group.

Note? We don't allow drinking in the office.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Halo

Nice, but no cigar

That's lovely, but then the iPad 2G will arrive, and everyone else will be playing catch-up again.

3. Tempest
      Happy

iThingy looking tired and tawdry

I thought during my visit to China's electronic electronic malls just how tawdry and dated the iThingy was looking compared to all the new products being featured.

Too bad for the West they don't have New Years when the Chinese celebrate it because of the plethora of the pads out here in the stores.

By the time Jobs announces his new and improved tablet he will have to face reality - the competition will have caught up, and in some cases, overtaken his offering.

8. nick bunyan
    Thumb Down

No GPS it seems...?

One of the most useful things for wandering around strange places with Notebook/smartphone for me is finding where I am going using built-in GPS on the move...

If this baby doesn't have maps/GPS capability then it won't make the short list, sorry.

1. JaitcH
      Go

All phones imported into the States require GPS

Given the low price of integral GPS units and that Google covers more of the world than most on-line maps he chances are good that it has GPS.

9. Owain 1
    Unhappy

Stock Android features

<rant>

It does annoy me when the reviewer reviews the stock features of the operating system. "Whoa! Android (tablet) comes with an on screen keyboard? Well shiver me timbers!" What I need to know is, is it More than just stock android, has it any "special" features etc. I need differentiation factors between this and any other Android tablet/phone.

Hardware is important,

button position - important,

the fact that holding the power button brings up the 'power menu' is STOCK!! All android devices do this.

CPU - important.

Battery - important;

Storage - important,

connectivity - important,

Resolution - important.

User experience due to combination of the above - important.

Wallpaper is interchangeable - STOCK

Music player - STOCK

Let me guess? It has google maps? Wow. That is a shock.

... </rant>

10. Alan Denman

Get a magnifying glass

Tech wise its the San Francisco with a bigger screen and maybe decent camera.

Magnifying glass anyone?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is everything microSD

When you have plenty of physical space for a standard SD card slot, why do manufacturers still stick with the lower sized/more expensive microSD. Heck, you could have a couple of standard SD card slots on these things.

12. WonkoTheSane

This looks exactly like

The "Comtiva N700" I just saw in Tesco's for 299

1. jules 4
      Thumb Up

Which has

GPS and can be used as a phone, and is not 'carrier locked'

13. Shocked Jock
    FAIL

Traditional?

As in technology that started to take off in the 1970s - traditional? "Conventional" - yes. "Traditional" - definitely not.

If it's "traditional", then it has to have been around since at least the 1870s - you know, like the UK's mishmash of neo-constitutional monarchism, with its Victorian love of Ruritanian kitsch - invented just to appeal to the finer German feelings of Prince Albert. Now, that is tradition.

Applied LCD technology doesn't really quite cut it here, since it's a product of late-20th century chemists' ingenuity. In fact, it's quite modern, really.

14. Jan 0 Silver badge

"effectively a large phone"

but you don't say if it can actually be used as a phone.

If it uses a 3G SIM, has a microphone and speakers, then it seems like a phone.

Would I want to have a phone as well if I've got this in my pocket?

Bluetooth headset will do nicely.

15. jamie 5

Marketplace

Do google generously allow it to use the Android Marketplace?

I note that many of these no-name tablets are not permitted.

16. David Given
    Troll

Connectiva N700?

Does anyone know if this is any different from the N700, available at 2/3 the price? It looks like identical hardware.

1. Birdman338
      Go

Nearly the same . ..

The ViewPad 7 and N700 are nearly the same. The Commtiva is unbranded and comes only with 1 year warranty, ViewPad is 2 years, anywhere in Europe. I read that Commtiva is pulling out of Europe and this has no support roadmap.

Looks like the commtiva has a tweaked / bespoke OS frontend. With the trade in I guess its the same price - personally I want the extra year warranty, so ViewPad for me!

17. MS Rocks

ughhhhh

The 2nd photo, page 1. I got that far before giving up. The OS looks like a childs toy. It is horrible, disgusting. Why do freetards deem this kind of rubbish to be acceptable? If you want a decent UX buy MS or Apple. Ignore this Google rubbish. It will die soon.

18. VinnyR
    FAIL

Re Ugggg

@MS Rocks

What's the problem with the OS? All you see from the 2 pictures is a home screen with various apps scattered around. Yes the choice of the background looks a bit childish, but the rest are app icons, a widget and a status bar at the top.

Apart from the fact that Widgets are available, what is so much different to the disorganised list of apps that is available from Apple?

19. Arctic fox

I am confused.

Amazon amongst others is advertising this tablet as driven by a Intel Atom N550 1.5Ghz. Does anyone know what's going on here?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like