back to article Oracle names date for next Java

Oracle has set a date for the completion of the next version of Java, hard on the heels of submitting its plan to Java's governing body for approval. The database giant has given July 28, 2011 as the date for when the Java Development Kit (JDK) 7 will be released to general availability. Previously, Oracle's had set "mid" 2011 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

July 28 201??

They do realise its going to be millennia out of date?? ;)

2. Jhamin
    FAIL

I think you have a mistake in your date.

The database giant has given July 28, *201* as the date for when the Java Development Kit (JDK) 7 will be released to general availability.

So it was released 1809 years ago? Bad place for a typo.....

3. Mark C Casey

July 28 201 for JDK 7?

Oh man, talk about time overruns but over eighteen hundred years behind schedule. That's a sign that Java is in bad shape.

That said, running Java on the abacus was always slow so it's probably better that it's so behind schedule so computing technology could capture up.

4. Gulfie
    Thumb Up

JDK Dates - and Harmony

First off, Oracle announced this at Devoxx 2010 on Wednesday morning (the 17th). They backed it with a full list of dates for key activities in the release process so I am confident that they will achieve the July 2011 release date.

On the subject of Harmony, at the 'future of java' panel on Friday morning, Oracle were quoted as saying that Apache Harmony will 'never' get the TCK licence (in minutes due to be made public next week).

At this point I don't see Oracle responding to pressure from Apache, and I don't think there are enough people in the JCP to cause a major problem. Even if there are, I'd expect Oracle to push on with their timetable regardless and try and resolve the JCP issues separately.

Of course, the runaway success of Android has done nothing to help Apache's cause (not that I'm suggesting that it is the principal reason for Oracle's position).

5. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Wow, that's super

Another JVM our customers won't upgrade to, filled with features we can't use because IBM won't implement them in Websphere until 2020.

Oracle: want to do something profitable AND useful? Buy the guys that wrote retroweave and incorporate it into your compiler. Your customers can sit on their hands running JVM 1.4, you can charge them a juicy post-EOL maintenance contract, and us developers can actually use some of the shiny shiny you're fighting so hard to incorporate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or...

...enterprise customers can simply start migrating to .NET.

6. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Megaphone

I want pointers!

Please get me some pointers. Proper Pointers. PLEASE. Sick of this passing by value of primitives.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like