back to article Hey kids, wanna build your own Vulture 1?

Well, you lovely people, it's time to wrap the Paper Aircraft Released Into Space project following our astounding Vulture 1 triumph. In case you missed it, we had a bit of a result with our beloved PARIS. No sooner had the news broken in Oz, than the international media were all over us like a rash. Poor old John Oates was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wommit
    Paris Hilton

Kylie

HA!

She hasn't even released a good night time activity video yet.

Pah, amateurs.

2. Thorsten

In other news...

US bans export of paper straws to Iran.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In other news...

No worries, the French will sell them.

3. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Thumb Up

are you...?

Are you transferring your super secret technology to Iran? teh horror... TEH HORROR!!!1oneone

On a more serious note, it's nice to see how this experiment sparked, or at least feed, this sense of discovery around the world. In particular, love the Oz idea (Codename KYLIE? that's genius!)

Let's see how Vulture II fares against its worldwide competitors...

1. Annihilator
      Happy

Hmm

If it turns out that London is some day wiped out by a nuke strike delivered by paper plane, Lester's gonna feel a wee bit guily...

4. Gianni Straniero
    Go

Playmonaut

I do so hope the fine chaps at Ferdowsi U have Playmobil worms and turtles at their disposal.

5. Richard 120
    Happy

IP

I say well done for the amount of informmation you're sharing and have shared. I'm glad that you haven't tried to monetize the whole thing, which would be something I would expect from the traditional press.

Clearly from this project we can determine you are fans of the open source development model, at least as far as paper plane construction is concerned :-)

I've been following the whole thing from the start and it's been brilliant.

Thanks for the entertainment, long may it continue.

6. Rodrigo Valenzuela
    Coat

GPL for paper planes?

(see tittle)

7. thecakeis(not)alie

Bye PARIS.

It was great to know you! I hope LOHAN is half as fun!

1. Thomas 4

LOHAN

Low Orbit High Altitude Navigator?

8. Owen Milton

PARIS II

I have this curiosity in me. I'd like to see someone take these designs, adapt them to use a thin plastic shell, print it out on a reprap/makerbot type of thing and see how well it would work and what kind of payload it could carry.

Of course I also want to see a version made light enough to carry a small processor, micro-film solar on the wings, small electric engine and then see how well the low-cost spy drone works. If you thought google street view was bad...

1. Sleepy 1
      Black Helicopters

PARIS II, well Vulture II

http://www.darpa.mil/news_images/vulture-02.html

9. Daniel B.
    Happy

New class of airplanes

So, what are these paper planes called? The Vulture-class aircraft?

Now I've got to get a bunch of paper straws from that retro hamburger joint...

10. GrahamT
    FAIL

KYLIE?

I thought Kylie was was an aboriginal word for a throwing stick, i.e. a boomerang that doesn't come back. Rather fatalistic of the ockers not to expect it to return.

11. slack
    Unhappy

Hunh?

Why not release the plans in an open format?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

12. bugalugs
    Pint

KYLIE

I didn't catch what this acronym signified but offer,

( aussie stuffs english tongue into german cheek )

Kerboshing Yer Limey's Inner-atmospheric Expedition ?

The girl herself, of course, Knocks Yer Libido Inna Extremis. nostalgically.

A succession of Victory beers to the PARIS team and long may they rien etcetc

13. Gus
    Happy

Conversion of 3D files

I've converted the 3D files provided by ElReg to Google SketchUp format for those of you interested. Just search for "paper space plane" in Google warehouse if you want to download the model.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Conversion of 3D files

Good work. I've added a link to that in the story.

14. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Ah, the typical IT project management approach.

Complete the spec after the project has already launched by retrospectively documenting what you ended up building. You'll go far, young man!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lester's Spanish

Just seen the A3 video and I must say I'm very impressed and shamed by Lester's Spanish accent, he sounds just like a native.

16. Tracer
    Dead Vulture

You shined so briefly!

Oh dear, it seems that you are not alone in your (commendable) achievement. A bunch of school kids have just done the same thing, just without as much fanfare.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8143861/Potato-launched-into-space.html

Tracer

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: You shined so briefly!

A good effort, although according to the full SWNS story...

http://swns.com/spudnik-amazing-pictures-from-potato-launched-into-space-181430.html

...this happened in December last year. Press not exactly quick out of the blocks this time. Bit of surfing on the back of PARIS? Probably.

This topic is closed for new posts.