back to article Ofcom sets out mega-auction timetable

Ofcom's chief executive has laid out the timetable for auctioning off the digital dividend spectrum, and it will be 2014 before it fills up with 4G radio. The details were laid out during a speech at the FT World Telecoms Conference. Ofcom plans a consultation for February lasting until May, the auction details will then be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

After the tax on talking, a tax on watching

Let's have a quick recap on the 3G auctions. Bascially, the phone companies hocked everything they owned to pay the government over £20Bn for the right to spend even more money building the 3G networks. This changed the mobile phone companies from being communications providers into financial institutions - whose only goal was to get the lowest finance terms for their huge loans, while making us pay it all back through high call charges. Essentially the money we pay to talk to people is used to pay the 3G tax the phone companies incurred.

Now the same successful (from the government's side) ploy will be used to sell more frequencies, which the government has decided that it now owns, back to us so we can pay them even more to watch videos.

2. Piers

Auction. Nice...

So we'll be paying for that then will we? And it differs from 'TAX' how, exactly?

/cynic

3. Asgard

WiMAX has powerful rich enemies

While I'm interested in 4G radio I don't like the way phone companies are behaving.

Its important to note that WiMAX is not dead, its just got very powerful enemies like rich phone companies who lobby and spread negative PR stories about WiMAX to undermine it, because the phone companies want everyone to think WiMAX is dead because phone companies earn their living from controlling their phone/wireless distribution network and WiMAX would help undermine their business plan.

The way control freak ISP's and phone companies are being increasingly totalitarian with us, the more I hope technology like WiMAX does succeed as a way to bypass the so called "last mile" part of phone networks and so help undermine the control freaks.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ofcom? Retards!

Good to see the retards holding Britain back while word plus dog pushes ahead with LTE.

5. David 164

I wonder where the money will go

I think we need a campagn to make sure that any money raise from this auction is invested in Fiber to the Home network.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like