back to article Virgin opens kimono, flashes box

There are no more details to add to what Virgin Media announced earlier this month, but the cableco this week posted a tease snap of its upcoming 1TB Tivo-designed DVR. Here it is: Virgin Media Tivo Virgin and TiVo announced a year ago that they were going to bring the DVR pioneer's technology to the UK. When it arrives - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rogerborg
    Flame

One question only

How much will they punish early adopters among their own customers who want to switch from the current V+ box? I'm guessing "Bitch slap you so hard, your great-grandkids will still be crying" levels of pain.

If you want this box, switch to Sky now. It's the only way you'll get one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

inspired headline.

hats off.

3. nickrw

So..

It's a black box with at least two lights on the front.

How exciting.

4. Conrad Longmore
    FAIL

V++?

Is this the V++?

I ditched Virgin for TV a long time ago and switch to Sky+ as Virgin couldn't provide even just an ordinary STB that would work reliably. The reviews that I have seen of the V+ say that it sucks basically. I can see that Virgin will probably work their magic with this and cock it up too..

1. Jolyon

Here's another review

I've got a V+ box, works fine, thanks

5. Spiracle
    Thumb Up

Better remote

At least the remote looks better than the virtually unusable car-crash of a design that comes with the current VboxHD

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Bloody Black!

Dear Virgin Media,

until you release your other set top boxes in _SILVER_, I will not be upgrading from the very nice non-HD, non-V+ Samsung box I currently pay you for. In fact, the only reason I haven't switched to Sky (apart from requiring a BT line for Internet, and needing a sodding great big ugly dish on the side of my flat) is that they too don't have a silver option.

Not everyone has piano black AV equipment. Not everyone wants a cable box that looks like a bad 1980s VCR (I'm looking at you, V+ box).

The very silver Samsung SMT-2110C box:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/telecommunication/productInfo.do?ctgry_group=14&ctgry_type=30&b2b_prd_id=116

1. Malcolm 1
      Joke

Silver? How passé

Black is the new silver. Silver hasn't been the new silver for at least 5 years - do try to keep up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

@Malcolm 1, @Grease Monkey

@Malcolm 1:

Black _was_ the new silver, after silver was the new black. But black has been the new silver for too long now to still be the new silver, thus the only thing that can be the new silver is the old black, which is silver. Trust me when I say that next year is the year that silver will again be the new silver (and still not the year of Linux).

PS Although white was briefly the new black (or was it the new silver?), there is no way that the new black will be white any time soon. The new white will just be white, also known as the old white and "not the new black". Don't get me started on gold. It hasn't even been the new white. In fact, I think that is what made the old "new black" the "old black" again and let silver be the "new black".

</joke>

@Grease Monkey

The same kind of ponce that has matching dining chairs, and who wears shoes of the same colour as each other. My AV kit is a feature in my lounge, and as such, I don't want it looking like the bargain bin corner in Curry's.

(in all seriousness, my OCD levels probably need dialing down a bit - but it wouldn't be OCD then now, would it?)

Choice would be nice though....

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

FFS

What sort of a ponce has to make sure all their AV kit is the same colour?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Bah

Still gutted that we aren't cabled in our area. I love my 1st gen Tivo but its showing its age and the drawback of recording programs 'the old way' (i.e. via analog signal from box rather than direct from tuner, requiring you to stay on that channel) is becoming quite a PITA. Unless Murdoch and co. decide to compete, or virgin decide to put cable in our area (not going to happen) then I'm stuffed really.

1. Seanmon

Agreed

"Virgin said the box will connect to its fibre-optic network"

Not in my house it won't. Get it sorted Branson!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Fibre optic network

So you have to have fibre to the house for this particular box? or do they mean:

"Virgin said the box will connect to its hybrid fibre-coax network which we are managing to sell to the masses as a fully fibre-optic network"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

@Fibre optic network

> hybrid fibre-coax network<

I think you are splitting hairs there a bit. Its fibre to street cabinet level, which means the co-ax part is still very short and is capable of supplying more than enough bandwidth for today's requirements. I think its a long time before FTTH is really a requirement.

Of course, if its just the principle you are talking about ... then I guess you are correct

1. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

it's fibre to the NODAL street cabinet

and then to those street cabinets fed from there (the small ones at the end of your street it is Coax.

You'd be suprised at how much bandiwdth is required vc the available bandwidth. That's why in heavily (over)subscribed areas they enforce draconian caps & traffic shaping

2. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

re:Fibre optic network

bah my post with the same title got modrejected... but I'm sure you can guess what I said. (Its only libellous if its not true, and I can proove my statement with nothing more than a jackhamer to get through the pavment and a spade.)

Personally I blame the marketing twonks who haven't got a clue.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@FlangleWangle

Virgin will announce that they are going to cable your area approximately five minutes after BT announce they are going to deploy Infinity into your area.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like