back to article Steve Jobs no longer Eggman as Beatles hits iTunes

It's official: Apple has finally added the Beatles' back catalogue to its iTunes music service. Cupertino said that from today the band's 13 studio albums including Please Please Me, White Album and Rubber Soul are now available via iTunes. Additionally, Apple fans can also buy the Beatles' two-volume Past Masters and Red and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Great!

Right, I've bought A Day In The Life for 99p, that's my Beatles collection sorted. Next announcement please.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Excited, bravo etc...

I imagine McCartney and the wives of the dead would be rather excited, surely the wrinkly old prunes and their estates stand to make a giant lump of royalties out of this... a few % of those $ multiplied by milions... I'd say bravo if t'were me!

1. Joe 3
      WTF?

But why the high price?

Eleven pounds for 45 year-old albums? And the music industry wonders why torrents are so popular.

1. Richard 81

That's What I Want

A cursory glance at amazon.co.uk and play.com suggest that these are fairly normal prices. Lot of shmucks out there.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wait 5 more years and the copyright will expire.

Who knew there was such a thing as a digital fire-sale!

3. Mike Flugennock

Well, I don't know right off what that is in US dollars...

...but to be quite honest, 45 year-old Beatles albums are among the only albums out there that I'd remotely consider paying that kind of money for these days.

Goo goo goo joob.

3. Lord Lien
    Thumb Down

Money...

... for old rope anyone?

4. Futumsh

In related news...

bear shits in woods.

The Jobs hype machine is well and truly in overdrive.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Yawn.

I think if you had spent the last 4 or so years negotiating a contract with someone you would want to tell the world once you had won it.

Ringo Starr even said he was glad as he was getting tired of being asked about when the music would be on iTunes.

2. Ivan Headache

I don't understand this comment.

This is an announcement that some classic songs are now on iTunes.

Why is it Hype?

1. Mark Aggleton
        FAIL

This is why it's hype

You may need a cached version but it shows why it's hype as at time of posting http://www.apple.com/uk/

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

No Mark.

That is called called "marketing". Any "hype" that existed was generated by the idiotic bloggers, social networkers and media outlets (Reg excluded, obviously!) that have nothing better to do. What is even sadder is that they fall for it every time and Apple know this! So, understandably, they take advantage of this free advertising. This is why Apple don't have to spend what Microsoft do on a new mobile OS/device release...

5. SuperTim

Wow.

I am completely undewhelmed by this.

The beatles have been available via iTunes since it had the ability to rip CDs. Making the music available to purchase online is a massively minor victory for Jobs, and may infact show how weak he actually is in the music business. I don't doubt he had to make very painful sacrifices for this.

FWIW, I have had all the beatles albums on my ipod for yonks, no thanks to a baldy cupertinian or a oriental photographer on a power trip!

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

One snag

You can't buy just a few tracks with CD. You have to buy the entire album when you might only want a few tracks from each.

Downloads let you pick n mix, much to the annoyance of people like Pink Floyd.

1. Mike Flugennock

re: pick'n'mix'n'Floyd

Well, the thing is that the large majority of Pink Floyd albums are designed to be heard in their entirety, like a stage musical or an opera. Granted, the radio stations always only play one or two tracks off of albums like "Dark Side" or "The Wall", but that's like only hearing one song from one scene of "I Pagliacci".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

anticlimax

what a load of tosh! bludy anti-climax, i thought the itunes announcement was going to be something interesting!

1. Big-nosed Pengie
      Jobs Horns

Interesting iTunes announcement

We have a new oxymoron.

7. Andy Miller

Liverpool?

Surely you mean Manchester?

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

The remaining Beatles said

We would have done it years ago but Yoko wanted to milk it for all she could as her income from John's estate had to pay for her singing lessons for the last 50 years.

How many times have fans paid now? LP, CD, Enhanced CD, remastered CD etc

1. Annihilator
      Happy

re: how many times?

How many Beatles fans do you think will actually be buying it on iTunes? If they're fans, they'll have it already and will gain nothing from buying an iTunes copy of an album they already own. LP, CD, and the various enhanced or remastered versions - if they think they're getting better value, then fine.

Though it's funny, I've discovered a new kind of getting old. I saw the adverts for the remastered Red & Blue Albums and thought to myself "ooh, I remember when it was first remastered"...

1. Mike Flugennock

re: re: how many times?

Annihiliator sez:

"Though it's funny, I've discovered a new kind of getting old. I saw the adverts for the remastered Red & Blue Albums and thought to myself 'ooh, I remember when it was first remastered'..."

My first "replacement" Beatle album purchase was around 1981, when I replaced my old LP of "Abbey Road", battered by four years on a dorm stereo, with a copy of the Mobile Fidelity Labs' famous half-speed remastered reissue LP on virgin vinyl.

9. Andrew Hart
    Stop

Please, please...

If you want them new buy them from Amazon from £3 less, you can even throw the CD away if you only want a digital copy..

1. Jhokur

Plus

Not to mention you can rip to any quality and size you want (I use dBPowerAmp for ripping @ 320).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Whoopeeee....

...f**king Doo.....

Must be christmas soon, AKA the greatest hits season....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Double Fanboi-ism

Looking back we shall see this as historic as that famous day when the Wiliams, Caxton and Shakespeare, shook hands over the printing of the first "Collected Works of ..."

While my grasp of history maybe shaky I still think its pretty cool

Mine's the one with the White and Green Apple lapels ....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

...zzzz...

That's it? That's the news?

Glad I didn't give enough of a shit in the first place to get my hopes up.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh well

One less place where you're safe from that dross.

14. whats the point of kenny lynch?
    FAIL

yeeeeahhhhh....

thanks steve for a day that i'll never forget......sorry what day is it again?

actually we've already got all those albums and more.....pink floyd next?

15. thomasthetanker
    Thumb Up

Tomorrow things will never be the same

Tomorrow iTunes homepage will display picture of The Beatles and a heading of 'Yesterday'?

16. ThomH

A good day to bury indifferent news

A future royal wedding, a photographer off the public service payroll, The Beatles on iTunes. I know the phrase usually implies that there's some big news to mask the other stuff, but today I think the whole edifice is self burying — if there was one thing happening that it was difficult to care about rather than three then I'd probably at least try to consider it objectively. As it is, I think I'll just stick with the usual thoughts about things that are actually relevant to me.

17. iamapizza
    Happy

I've been waiting for this

I've been waiting for this for so long. At last, Apple have proven their worthiness as an organization by bringing the Beatles to itunes. I had always felt that my music collection was lacking, but now that the Beatles are available to me, I can immediately go out and purchase these songs. I am sure I will enjoy songs by the Beatles, never mind that I tried listening to some a few years ago and moved away from it soon after. The audio quality must be so much better because it's on itunes. I can't wait to listen to it on my ipad while I tweet about it from my iphone.

I wish I had a womb so that Steve Jobs could impregnate me with the next visionary.

18. dct
    Troll

Forgetable

That's all nice and such, but what about the big announcement Apple said they were going to make today?

As I'm under 50 the Beatles means Mull of Kintyre, Linda McCartney Sausage Rolls, Imagine, hare krishna, The Frog Chorus, Give my Regards to Broad Street, Ebony and Ivory, and Thomas the Tank Engine...

Of which Thomas the Tank Engine has the most credibility.

1. Mike Flugennock

sour grapin' it much?

dct sez:

"As I'm under 50 the Beatles means Mull of Kintyre, Linda McCartney Sausage Rolls, Imagine, hare krishna, The Frog Chorus, Give my Regards to Broad Street, Ebony and Ivory, and Thomas the Tank Engine..."

D'ahh, you're just pissed off because you missed out on all the good stuff... although you _do_ list "Imagine" in there. I always thought John's solo stuff totally frickin' ruled. I mean, "Imagine" vs. "Wings At The Speed Of Sound"? Jeezus, man; Paul really _was_ dead.

2. Fuzz

Temporary Secretary?

You forgot that one.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

A bit late now isn't it?

Surely everyone who wants this stuff has already got the albums or helped themselves from the Kazaa shop years ago?

1. Chad H.

If you put it that way

It applies to pretty much every movie, TV show or Album released today.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Yes, but you haven't had

almost half a century to get your hands on those.

20. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Seriously

Joyful? "Keeer-ching" more like! And £17.99 for the double albums, when the CDs are retailing for sub-£10 online?

I suspect the Beatles shall remain a cash cow for many years to come...

1. Mike Flugennock
      Thumb Up

Yeah, seriously...

an Anonymous Coward sez:

"I suspect the Beatles shall remain a cash cow for many years to come..."

Damn' straight, man. That's because they were _awesome_, the same reason all those people -- and not just old people -- still dig Sinatra and Hank Williams.

Honestly...does anybody here think that in twenty years, you'll hear anyone at all utter the sentence, "I suspect that Taylor Swift shall remain a cash cow for many years to come..."?

21. squilookle

I don't expect to have any problems forgetting today.

I already have a fair chunk of the Beatle's albums on CD, and I don't use iTunes anyway, so this does not affect me.

22. Matthew 25
    Coat

WTF?

How do you download a Box Set?

1. limonovich
      Joke

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

....but you would a Box Set!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

YOU WOUDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

I read that as Sex Bot.

Too much time on the internets I think, especially a the thought crossed my mind, that i probably would.

AC as I am ashamed with myself.

23. Absent
    FAIL

£10.99?

So you're expected to pay more for an inferior quality download when the re-mastered lossless physical cds with real covers are no more than £7.99?

And don't get me started on the ideas of a downloadable "box set"......

1. Swarthy
      Stop

Pedantic Dissagrement

CDs are not loss-less. As a digital sample, they lost everything between the sample bits. Admitted, that's not a loss that really matters, but it does put some perspective on things.

- I bought my Beatles collection on vinyl, and didn't understand why most wanted to spend $20-$30 (at the time) on a CD, rather than the pure analog audio of vinyl.

I still have the records, and no CDs; but I also have more Beatles on MP3 than iTunes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

pedant's away!

While vinyl may be analogue, an in theory "better" than digital ie. CD's. In most cases they are decidedly inferior as actually playing them is a physical process that damages the surface, which is then picked up, along with any dust, in all it's analogue glory as a hiss in the background.

If there is any significant detail lost in sampling from one 44,000th of a second to the next, you'd be unlikely to notice it anyway.

Most of the differences you notice are probably more to do with the recording technology and digital processing than the method used to actually get it to you.

24. JaitcH
    Pint

I had my copies decades ago - perhaps today's youth won't appreciate them

I was around when the Beatles did the CBS Ed Sullivan Show way back in February 1964 where they were paid standard rates but had first and last slots on three consecutive Sunday shows.

Parents didn't know what to do: first there had been legless Elvis Presley whose legs, and more particularly, his hips were kept out of frame because of the alleged sexual implications from their movements.

Now uptight, short back and sides, Americans were faced with these four hairy foreigners who practically put a large debt in the haircutting business as American youth emulated their new musical heroes.

With today's technology, copies will be on-line Torrents tomorrow.

1. Mike Flugennock

...or, perhaps today's youth WILL...

My youngest sister had just been conceived when the Beatles played their first Ed Sullivan gig, and she ended up being even a bigger fan than I am (age seven when they first played the Sullivan show).

About six or seven years ago, I went into a record shop looking to finally replace my old LP copy of Pink Floyd's "Meddle". Miracle of miracles, I found it -- and in the "Special" bin, at that. So, I take the CD to the counter to pay for it, and there's this college kid running the register with sloppy grunge hair, ripped baggy grunge pants and a beat-up Soundgarden t-shirt, post-punk all the way. I brace for sneering contempt as I slide my CD reissue of a pre-Dark Side Floyd album across the counter. The kid takes it to ring it up, and his eyes light up. "Wow! 'Meddle'! What an awesome album! I really love old Floyd, man..."

...and I thought, "jeez, maybe there's still hope..."

1. Snapper
        Happy

2 classes of music lover

Whilst the media likes to give the impression that the height of musical taste and talent is on offer with X-Factor, the availability of good music has never been greater.

I brought my first Beatles single (Help! if you must know) when I was six, lived through the pirate radio's and the setting up of Radio One, and remember the 70's and everyone going quiet in the school playground on a Tuesday afternoon when the Top Ten was read out over against-the-rules trannies (radios).

I've got three teenage kids now, and without trying to influence them in any way they have all developed very wide tastes in music. I often listen to the music they play, and their choice of modern bands shows that musical talent is alive and well and kicking ass. Bugger the Lady Ga-Ga, Katie Perry and Take That karaoke shows, bands like Muse, The Killers and Kings of Leon are the equal of anyone for the last 50 years, possibly with the exception of Queen and the Stones.

My youngest son is really into early Bowie, which I sang with my schoolfriends on the bus. My daughter plays drums and loves Pink Floyd and Green Day. Eldest son play guitar, loves The Who and Muse in that order.

Plenty of good music around, just don't assume the youth of today is musically illiterate because of what you read.

Beatles on iTunes = Meh!

2. DiViDeD
      Troll

Title? What Title?

on-line Torrents *TOMORROW*? Methinks you have been sleeping. Also, most of them are available as ISOs or lossless FLAC rather than pissy mp3.

Sorry, but ten quidlets for a 45 year old album encoded with the lossiest codec known to man seems like less than a bargain.

<cue series of "I love my MP#! You want lossy, try codec X" posts>

Beatles? Weren't they a popular beat combo around the time of Queen Victoria or something?

25. Gert Selkobi
    Jobs Horns

Rip off

£10.99 for an old album? You're having a right merry chuckle aren't you Lord Jobs?

And the box set at £125 or $149? Hang on, what exchange rate is that based on? Oh yeah, I forget this is rip-off Britain, isn't it? The Beatles started off in Britain, yet we Brits have to pay well over the odds? What are we paying, export duty to the states and then import duty back into the UK?

Makes my urine boil it does! >:(

26. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Wow...

So the announcement is that you can now pay a rediculous amounts for a digital download of 40 year old albums that have been available on CD for years and at far cheaper prices.

Is there anyone out there who's actually been waiting for this since they are incapable of ripping a CD...?

27. peter 45
    FAIL

and in the real world...

Whilst the lawyers were sweating every detail and squeezing every drop of the huge payoff expected, the rest of us have ripped our collection. Did noone realise the potential market was shrinking to zero whilst they waved their wangers at each other?

28. envmod
    FAIL

n00bs

anyone who falls for this scam is an idiot.

hang on, what thread am i posting in?

29. RichyS

Artwork

Oh well, at least I can now get some decent artwork for the Beatles albums I've already ripped to iTunes.

Hurray for the 'Get album art' feature...

1. stucs201
      Jobs Horns

Artwork

Have you managed to actually get it? Its refused to download anything for half of them for me.

2. Mike Flugennock

"get album art"? P'wah.

1. Go to Google Images.

2. Do an advanced search on, for example, "Abbey Road Cover"

3. Take your pick, depending on what resolution you need.

4. Ta daaahhh.

1. stucs201
        Jobs Horns

re: "get album art"? P'wah / @Mike Flugennock

Thats fine. Except to use it you have to embed the artwork in every file (thus storing the same data many times). Using the 'Get album artwork' feature stores the artwork once, which seems a far more sensible idea.

OK, I'd quite like a feature in iTunes to take an image file and store it in the same way as the 'get album artwork' feature does, but Apple don't seem interested in implementing this.

1. PDC
          Thumb Up

Artwork

Or just use one of the many free MP3 tag editors which embed the image file in the MP3 itself. Far more sensible than storing the album art as a separate file.

30. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Hold on!

Only one decent band to have ever come from Liverpool, the mighty Carcass!

'I am the EggMan!' indeed, Carcass' "Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious" is a classic!

31. Ancient Oracle funkie
    Thumb Down

Another example of what's wrong with the music industry

See various comments above re the rip-off that is a £10.99 album cost, not to mention the so-called box set. Another example of trying to make people buy stuff they already have to get a little something that they didn't already own.

Who the heck is going to buy this stuff? I would hazard a guess that everyone who actually wanted it, or was vaguely interested in it, already has it digitally. I sure have, as well as the vinyl I bought when it was first released and the original CDs. I refused to but the remastered albums (might have bought them at a fiver each) so I am certainly not going to enrich any of the greedy buggers behind this non-event (and I say that as a big fan for the last 48 years).

But then again, the world is full of mugs! Anyone want to buy some shares? Or a bridge, maybe?

Dear music industry, please FOAD. Soon!

1. Mike Flugennock
      Thumb Up

re: Another example...

Ancient Oracle funkie sez:

"See various comments above re the rip-off that is a £10.99 album cost, not to mention the so-called box set. Another example of trying to make people buy stuff they already have to get a little something that they didn't already own..."

Right on, there, pal. The only box sets I own are of previously unreleased work -- such as John Lennon's box set released about ten or twelve years ago, or the Grateful Dead's 1995 live anthology box set released right after Garcia died.

I certainly wouldn't buy box sets of albums I already own, not even as gifts for people I know who are interested in getting into a particular band. If that were the case, I'd get them maybe a couple of what I felt were definitive albums by a given band -- say, "Dark Side" and "Ummagumma" for someone who's just getting into Pink Floyd. But, a full box set of everything from "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" to "Division Bell"? Nahh, fuhgeddaboudit.

32. manicseacreature
    Jobs Halo

Odd - the white version of LPs delayed indefinitely...

ho ho!

33. Tom 35

Don't care

I have the CDs already.

The only thing this is good for is anyone that just wants a few of singles that happen to be on different albums.

34. Stefing
    Grenade

Apple to the power of Apple

Over-rated squared.

35. thomas k.

iTunes?

Is that something like Windows Media Player?

36. thesykes
    WTF?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Over-rated shiny electronics company meet over-rated 60's boy band......

How many Reg articles about this???

37. Ari 1
    Jobs Halo

Visionary!

I am always astounded by Apple's ability to turn anything into an event which the press lap up.

This is truly visionary and revolutionary (no, not the Beatles on iTunes, but rather the amazing manipulation of expectations and image).

Shit, they actually ADDED something to their STORE? Who'da thunk it...

Score yet another media coup for Apple..

1. ThomH

And they don't even have to try

In this case all they did was replace the front page on their website for 24 hours. That's what really galls.

38. Oninoshiko

hmm...

so does this mean an end to the seemingly ceasless Apple v. Apple lawsuits that some up every couple of years?

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Underwhelmed...

I'm a bit underwhelmed because Apple Corps is once again missing the opportunity to release things that the Beatles fans really want and will pay for - to wit, the Shea Stadium concert and the Let It Be film. There is plenty of Beatles material that rarely gets seen in anything approaching high quality - stuff like the NME Pollwinners concerts, the Blackpool Night Out TV show, and the Fabs could really add some value to the proceedings by getting these true rarities out....

40. Cooperman76

Is that it?

Crazy... they call that an announcement!! The only people this benefits are Apple and the Beatles. If anyone actually wants this they will already have it on LP or CD. And if you don't have it already then buy the CDs for much less and then enjoy the sleevenotes and import the tracks into iTunes at a higher quality.... and listen to it in your car.

41. Mark Simon
    WTF?

Losing it

A real announcement might have been “Apple finally releases a finished working copy of IOS”. I’m just waiting for my iPhone recurring alarms to work again and iPad to be able to do what iPhones can already do.

Is there a Beatles fan who doesn’t already have the complete collection?

42. Mike Flugennock
    FAIL

M'eh. BFD.

A bit late, aren't they?

I had all the Beatles' albums on vinyl and cassette when I was in high school and college, and finished replacing them all on CD about five or six years ago. Better sound quality, better sampling rates, better rips to iTunes, no DRM. Too damn' late, Steverino.

Besides, given their App Store's propensity towards random and capricious censorship, I'd be surprised if John Lennon's solo catalogue will ever be available at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkFCDokGesM

43. Mike Flugennock

1964 DC Coliseum show officially released at last?

M'eh. Some judicious poking around on the collectors' blogs has already netted me some very clean, high-rate sampled soundboard recordings of Shea Stadium '65 and all the Ed Sullivan gigs. Good clean mixes from the original quarter-inch reels, relatively scream-free.

44. tom 24
    IT Angle

I wish I could be the first, but...

That clicking is the sound of millions of music fans typing "meh" at the same time.

(IT angle because, really, iTunes hardly qualifies as tech "news" any more...)

45. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Congratulations!

Congratulations to two sets of very rich people with rampant egos, for successfully managing to get together without too many lawyers and agree on how to make even more money for themselves without producing anything new at all.

Well done, rich people! And well done to all who publicised this tremendous event.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Love Me Do

Their first LP goes out of copyright in 2012, Elvis, The Who, some big bands going free.

I think Apple could have sold it in a years time anyway.

47. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

For I'm the tax man

...oooh yeah, I'm the tax man.....

Still raking it in after all these years!

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have done a

tiny, tiny skidmark that shits all over this so-called news.

49. Paul 999
    Thumb Down

Seriously?

who cares!

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Seriously?

Right. I am now banning all 'who cares' comments. Why don't you go and take advantage of your lack of care by doing something else, rather than pointing out - ironically, to people who don't care whether you care or not - that you don't care?

50. Jonathan White
    Thumb Up

Just to say...

Best subhead EVER.

1. Kelly Fiveash (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Just to say...

thank you, dear

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are you Sarah B's replacement?

The post is required, and must contain letters.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I don't hate the Beatles.....

They worked hard, did some interesting things... new fad, new decade..... came, rose, fell and faded..

And their albums are HOW old?

And they are selling as digitised downloads - for what?

And EMI are still screwing people for royalties....

I don't know if it's because I am so old I am going senile OR if it really has been so long since they actually released an album.....

And it is nice the entire collection is now available for download, but.......

Some of their material was and still is REALLY great...

I also think well just because my great grandmother had orgasms over them as a school girl, kind of puts them into the class of a 70's remake of a 50's movie.

And there really were heaps of gigs that were WAY more popular than the Beatles - like "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" - the Rolling Stones, The Easy Beats, ABBA, The Who, etc., etc., etc....

As my good friend Malcom McLarem said, "That old necropheliac rock and roll"...

Should be $3 to $5 an album - I mean it's THAT old and you don't even get anything solid to go with them.

1. Mike Flugennock

re: I don't hate the Beatles...

Tool Of Lucifer sez on 11.17.10 @ 22:04gmt:

"They worked hard, did some interesting things... new fad, new decade..... came, rose, fell and faded..

And their albums are HOW old?"

Hey, when music is timeless, it's timeless. There are people in college now who weren't even born when the Beatles split up who are totally digging them, for the same reason there are younger people out there who still dig Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra -- their music is great, and timeless.

"And EMI are still screwing people for royalties...."

'an unlimited supply

and there is no reason why!

I tell you, it was all a frame!

They only did it 'cause of fame!

WHO?

EMI! EMI! EMI! EMI!'

--sex pistols.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like