back to article Alleged bad Appler should pay back $1m

The Apple supply manager accused of taking bribes in exchange for approving suppliers for iPhone and iPod headphone parts should pay back the $1m he is alleged to have pocketed for dodgy dealing. This is according to the prosecution, which asked the court to seize $950,000 from Paul Devine. Apple lawyers even want to take away …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Bears, Woods...

...does any one in charge of any sort of purchasing NOT take bribes. Hey I've 6 mugs for a £25,000 system. Seems like a good deal to me, but then again, I'm bottom of the pecking order.

1. thecakeis(not)alie
      Joke

You get mugs?

I've totally swung purchasing descisions for largely similar quotes based on a light-up pen.

Hmm...I need higher standards. Next time, I'm holding out for the mousepad!

2. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Jobs Horns

Me big bottom pecking order too

"bad Appler" should be filtered through the Chamber of Commerce Happy Talk Exchange first. The source code was probably "worse Appler" or something similar.

Sort of like parking in Adolf Hitler's spot at Party HQ. Hope this helps.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No bribes here

My wife's a purchasing manager and she's totally paranoid about accepting anything from anyone even vaguely related to whatever deal she's working on at the time (or even afterwards). This is because she's seen this kind of stuff come back to bite people later on. The only people who win in these cases are the lawyers!

2. serviceWithASmile

pay back 1 mil

to Apple?

It would only count as paying it *back* if the companies are going to get their bribe money refunded.

Sounds like this could not have hurt Apples business, considering the products these companies produce as a result of this information.

I wonder if he was selling the kind of hardware specs that devs would normally *expect* from a tech company and that Apple can't be arsed / don't want to provide?

Of course he could be bent as a 9 bob note.

Even so, I'm having difficulty figuring out why Apple think they are entitled to the bribe money that was paid to one of their employees to sell their secrets?

Unless Apple are quite happy to sell the secrets for that price to others aswell...

Yes I have an Apple, no I don't subscribe to the cult, shun the non beLIEver etc.

1. Tom 13

That's not the way it works here.

Government gets the $1 mill from the bride taker, then shakes down the bribers for another, plus time in the pokey. Oh, and the taxpayer foots another half a mill for prosecution and court costs.

3. Tom 35
    Badgers

normal consultancy contract.

Just because it's "normal" is not proof that your not bent.

I've had to deal with some real crap, but it's ok because the IT manager got a new plasma TV.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Hold on

I thought that is what procurement does for a living anyway...

In fact I would not have expected anything less after paying it 100K USD around Cupertino, California. That is like, what? The supermarket bill and the fuel bill as well as the allowance for the homeless hostel over there, right?

5. Pahhh
    Alert

Work for WallMart ....

Try working for Walmart.

If they as much as accept a beer from a supplier they will get sacked and the supplier will be dropped. Heaven forbid if they accept things like pens, mugs or baseball caps.....

6. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organisations

This the perfect description for Devines former employer.

Apple knowingly selling defective goods must fit in there somewhere.

7. Russ Tarbox
    Happy

He should look on the bright side

At least he won't look like a complete tw*t driving around in a Cayenne anymore.

8. Lance 3

This is Apple we're talking about

AS they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

9. DT

tell me it aint so

someone got bribed to include those ear-buds?

Surely their **amazing** quality would merit the contract without any brown envelopes changing hand?

</splutter>

10. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like