back to article DNS provider decked by DDoS dastards

DNS provider sitelutions was floored by a particularly severe denial of service on Tuesday. The Virginia-based internet services firm confirmed its site was offline as the result of a "multi-gigabit" denial of service attack via an update to its Twitter feed. "Websites and data still safe, though there are still occasional …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Their twitter feed...

"The Virginia-based internet services firm confirmed its site was offline as the result of a "multi-gigabit" denial of service attack via an update to its Twitter feed"

I was left thinking "how does an attack via someone's Twitter feed affect their web site". Then I reread it to realise "they confirmed via their Twitter feed their site was offline."

1. Mike Shepherd

Can't get....

...the staff.

2. batfastad
      Jobs Horns

Yep

That's exactly how I read it at first!

3. Venkat

Dangling modifier

Yeah, I read it the same way too. Nice (?) example of a 'dangling modifier'.

2. rjnerd

Seems that DNS registries have become someone's pet target

The US service Register.com was attacked on Friday evening, and it was late on Saturday before they were available for name lookup again. Cost me a days traffic as a result.

1. Joe Montana
      Flame

Attack DNS...

DNS is a prime target to attack, its UDP based so easy to spoof the packets, and they are virtually indistinguishable from legitimate queries so extremely hard to filter. Very easy to overload a target DNS server with more requests than it can handle.

Once DNS is out, not only is the target website down but that company won't be able to receive email either, and chances are many other services they offer will also be down. I doubt anyone is attacking the DNS registrar directly, they will be targeting one of their customers and you are simply collateral damage because your DNS is hosted on the same infrastructure.

3. Trevor 3
    Stop

errrm....

"Various DDoS mitigation tools can be applied to filter off and discard junk traffic, but these tend to take some time to properly install and configure."

Well, install and configure them then?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

DDoS mitigation tools

> Various DDoS mitigation tools can be applied to filter off and discard junk traffic ..

What a good idea ... :|

5. Paul Slater
    Headmaster

Attack motives

"The motives for the attack, much less its perpetrators, remain unclear."

Perhaps it was because the company is called "sitelutions"? What an abomination of a portmanteau

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

error: hacker not found

Sorry, but where was the hack again?

I can see a DDOS attack, which was carried out by a malicious attacker, otherwise known as a criminal, but I don't see a hacker anywhere in the article.

Am I on the wrong site???? I mean, on some other sites I expect people to get confused between RAM and ROM, black and white, hacker and criminal, but not the reg. How lame.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

sitelutions was slow on updates

sitelutions was slow on updates, their dns was down from 9:30PM (PDT).

by 3am and with no updates from sitelutions i was moving all my sites to another dns

very poor customer communication. If they were to send update within a few hours then perhaps i would be more understanding, not jump ship and actually gotten some sleep :(

8. James Woods

who?

never heard of this company, shouldn't companies be noteworthy to be regworthy.

maybe friday eddies pc will get dos'd, can el reg cover it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like