back to article Schmidt: Google Chrome OS 'a few months away'

Google boss Eric Schmidt has said that Chrome OS will be available "in the next few months" — which may be an indication that the company's browser-based operating system has been delayed. Since unveiling the Chrome OS project last year, Google has said that systems using the operating system would be available by the end of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Chrome OS as an extension of Chrome

So everything that doesn't help Google make money has been removed? Way to go for open source, I says...

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Title

Reason for existence... eternity away?

3. Mikel

Android for tablets then?

I suppose it's for the best. Bring on the Android tablets already!

4. Neil Lewis

'disingenuous Google open source card'

Not really clear why the author thinks this is disingenuous. It seems more like a statement of fact. Being an open platform, Chrome could be ported to almost any device without Google's active involvement, which makes that statement an honest if unhelpful answer to the question. That the spokesman then took the trouble to clarify Google's own focus removes any doubt about that, but the fact remains that they aren't stopping others using it in any way they wish.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So, sometime never then?

There's little sign of any stabilisation in the project yet, and it's clear there's a lot of work still to be done and features not complete yet.

6. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Big deal

I tried the "beta/demo" Chrome O/S and it's basically SuSE in a different suit or have I missed something blindingly obvious?

I was not impressed, I'll stick to Ubuntu and Fedora for the moment, thanks all the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Um, what?

There aren't any official downloads of ChromeOS available yet - you have to build it from source. And it's about as far from Suse as you can possibly get. Ubuntu packages used as a base, then a *special* gentoo-based build system.

Re the "goobuntu" mention in the article - that's just plain WRONG.

7. Karl Dallas
    Unhappy

Gingerbread for HTC G1 handset?

I don't think so, more's the pity, since upgrade to 2.1 isn't possible.

1. Phil Rigby
      Go

@Karl

Try rooting the phone/using Cyanogen mod then you should be able to put 2.1 on. Haven't tried it myself but I've read several reports of people doing it successfully. Rooting/jailbreaking Android is pretty easy, there's loads of articles on how to do it.

Good luck!

8. smithj
    Thumb Down

Boycott Google and use Chromium

Eric Schmidt should have been fired months ago.

Google hypes everything and can't stop using "open source" words.

But, in fact, Google is producing closed source, proprietary products.

Eric Schmidt smiles with free this and that, while claiming privacy no longer exists.

Boycott Google and use Chromium (if you really want to) instead of Chrome (spyware).

9. Jay 2
    Linux

Chrome OS

Some time back I noticed a Download/Install Chrome OS option in Parallels 5. So I thought I'd give it a go. Not sure what it's up to underneath, but the front end is just an expanded Chrome browser.

Whilst it would probably run pretty well on a netbook, the kicker is that as it's Google then it really needs to be connected to the cloud (sorry!) to get the most out of it. So might be useful for Internet cafes etc.

Personally I think I'll stick to EasyPeasy on my EEE 701 for the time being thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like