back to article Eric Schmidt whips out mystery Android

Google CEO Eric Schmidt has demonstrated a mystery Android phone that uses a near field communication (NFC) chip that could effectively turn the handset into a credit card, offering the ability to "tap and pay." Chatting today at the Web 2.0 Summit mini-conference in San Francisco, Schmidt would not say who would offer the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Jennings

I have seen things you people would not believe

I want a Nexus Six. I don't really care about any of the other numbers.

1. BorkedAgain
      Thumb Up

All these moments will be lost in time...

...like tears in rain.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

I only said that we would never offer a Nexus Two

We'll go directly to Nexus Three, with brain-implant technology and a second processor that doesn't abide by the three laws... wait, where have I seen this before?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Oh Eric,

This is why none of us believe the whole "We're open" and "Don't do evil" things. Because you're so apt to either redefine the words, move the line, or do this layweristic double-talk.

1. Tigra 07
      Thumb Down

RE: Anonymous Troll

He kept it a secret as all companies do before announicing new things.

ALL companies do that with new products to build suspense.

Go back to the closed apple garden where you're free to be lied to as much as you like.

4. Lghost

I saw what you did there

eric ..talking Schmidt ( it is pronounced shite ..just not within his hearing ) again ..

evil eric icon ..please ( that way el reg can say it isn't attacking Google direct ) ..just the " current" loony/evil CEO ..like all the other evil icons allow the reptiles H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H lawyers at el reg the get out of being sued ( adsense accounts "nulled" )..grow some balls el reg ..or ask Ms bee to lend you hers for a mo..evil eric icon ..or your "impartial journo" cred continues to suffer.

no icon ..because the "choice" ..isn't really ..unless

5. Nathan 6
    Stop

Oracle Lawsuit Probable has Something to Do With This

Saying they will never offer an Android phone is all well and good since they claiming that they can't be sued by oracle because they don't make any Android phones. Now if you are going around waving a Google branded Android phone then something is not adding up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not really

This is no different than Microsoft not building PCs yet PCs being branded with a Windows sticker. Learn to differentiate between software (Android) and hardware (the phones).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

No, it all makes perfect sense...

Y'see, they're not actually _making_ it. It's being _made_ by FoxConn or HTC or ZTE or Huawei whichever other Chinese rebrand-source...

6. Lottie

HTC?

So is this another set built by HTC or -and this would be so cool but not likely- made by Nokia who have been shown to have NFC chips in their phones for a while....

7. BorkedAgain
    Black Helicopters

Remind me.

Why is NFC a good thing again?

8. Code Monkey
    Thumb Down

Tap and Pay

Like that spotty wee bastard at the train station hasn't already got enough motivation to want to nick my phone.

9. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

...Sigh, not another headline from the creepy lizard.

Anyone really care anymore what the little goblin says? It doesn't build suspense, he is like the dirty uncle you know is lying trying to be hip with kids.

"Tap an pay" just opens the window for "nicked and spending" craze that will sweep the nation. Or more likely

"Tap and google knows even more about you" phrase that will follow.

The man really is a creepy lizard.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Probably the Samsung used in Swedish Trial

Teliasonera are running a trial with NFC check in in the Clarion Stockholm

They issued a press release on this "TeliaSonera in NFC pilot – mobiles replace hotel key"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like