back to article Apple adds Ping kill switch to iTunes

Apple pushed out an update for its iTunes music service on Friday that, among other things, allows customers to switch off its unloved Ping social network. Ping rocked up in September and was immediately greeted with indifference by fanbois and gals, some of whom complained that it had been bolted onto iTunes without Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piers
    Happy

Does Yoko's latest tweet offer any hints?

um... no. I don't think so. Maybe I'm the wrong generation. Or something....

1. NRT
      Happy

Wrong generation?

No not really, just think of AMFM. Yoko was a sort of 60's precursor.

Nick.

2. pctechxp

Or maybe

They are going to elbow DRM?

Here's hoping.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Or maybe

Apple already has killed DRM for music, but I seriously doubt it'll do it for video.

As you say, here's hoping, though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Oh god, yes

Please, please dump the drm on video. It only takes a few mins per file to remove (yes, I pay for all my media, iTunes or not), but it's such a chore.. ;-)

3. General Pance
    Megaphone

Apple to release the iPad/iPhone from iTunes

Folks, today is the day you'll remember. The day Apple let you manage your iPad/iPhone the way YOU want, not the way that makes them more money.

THIS IS HUGE!

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

New Yoko album

Err....she screeches more in tune than Vic Beckham but still no thanks...my ears couldnt take it.

Cher must be skint too, yet another comeback I see on the Metro

5. Matthew 17

Being thick but....

I've had an ATV for over a year and have always been able to stream video (and music) from my Mac to it.

The video has to be in an iTunes friendly codec for it to work but the Handbreak app sorts that.

Does the new ATV behave differently to the old one? I know it's now iOS based instead of OSX and doesn't have a local hard drive so you can't install your own codecs/apps etc via a patch stick but from an operation POV I thought they were identical.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Being thick but....

Install XMBC on it and it'll stream various non-iTunes formats too - from net storage boxes too.

More details here: http://www.reghardware.com/2009/02/06/apple_tv_hacking_part_1/

1. Matthew 17

Re: Being thick but....

True (I have done) but not doing so doesn't stop me streaming music and video from my computer to it, I just have to iTunesify the codec's first.

Presumably you can't install XBMC on a new ATV 'cos of the lack of hard drive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like